2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

On 1/23/2022 at 10:09 PM, FirParkCornerExile said:

Maguire doesnt do it for me , donnelly Im 50/50 about and I think Goss will be worth it alongside Tierney and Slattery

Totally agree

Maguire tries but lacks in so many areas and brings almost nothing.

I fear the worst every single time I see his name on the team sheet.

Donnolly is hot and cold.

33 minutes ago, Mccus28 said:

I know people prefer different styles of play and have different opinions on individuals, but I still find it hard to believe anyone can watch a game and think that Maguire "lacks in so many areas and brings almost nothing".

He's not perfect, but watching young players like him develop is one of the reasons I enjoy being a 'Well fan. He's definitely improved since GA took over and I was very happy to see him extend his contract.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I would love to see the number of passes played by Maguire, Goss & Donnelly in the Morton game if anyone could find that (or if it exists).

Same for the County game too actually.

I tried but lost count after the first 5 minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I would love to see the number of passes played by Maguire, Goss & Donnelly in the Morton game if anyone could find that (or if it exists).

Same for the County game too actually.

I looked for this the other day but Whoscored.com doesn't collect stats for cup games. 

It felt like Donnelly went about 30 minutes in the second half without a successful pass. 

Didn't know that website existed, thanks for sharing.

According to it Donnelly has made 22.3 passes on average this season, Maguire has made 22.2 and Goss has made 26.1.

Really surprised by that, I thought Maguire would have made more than Donnelly. Who knows how accurate it is though.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

According to it Donnelly has made 22.3 passes on average this season, Maguire has made 22.2 and Goss has made 26.1.

Really surprised by that, I thought Maguire would have made more than Donnelly. Who knows how accurate it is though.

Of the two I would always start Donnelly, he still brings more to the party.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Donnelly hasn't played against the Old Firm, Aberdeen and Hearts. I don't think you can compare them at this point. 

Hopefully we make more passes tonight than we usually do. 

19 hours ago, Mccus28 said:

Totally agree

I fear the worst every single time I see his name on the team sheet.

Donnolly is hot and cold.

I just don't see it with Maguire.  He huffs and puffs, plods away but does nothing of note most games.

We all have different opinions but for me the lad is not prem quality.  Luckily for him (probably us all) I'm not GA and I don't pick the team!!!!!

4 hours ago, Mccus28 said:

I just don't see it with Maguire.  He huffs and puffs, plods away but does nothing of note most games.

I'm not convinced that's a bad thing, plenty of good teams have somebody unspectacular in their midfield. Better that than somebody who misplaces every other pass or is always giving away daft fouls.

3 hours ago, Mccus28 said:

We all have different opinions but for me the lad is not prem quality.  Luckily for him (probably us all) I'm not GA and I don't pick the team!!!!!

Agree 100%. Barry Maguire is a "big honest laddie" but thats it. He's one of our own and always tries his hardest but is that good enough? Last night, once again, the game largely passed him by and his impact on it was negligible. We need much more than that from a player in a midfield of only 3. That said Donnelly didn't help him. Management must see something in him if they've given him a new 2 year deal. There are other options on the bench. I know they are different types of player and midfield is often about that mix of types, but surely Slattery is our best midfielder? Dean Cornelius is one of our own and has done enough, in my view, to be given another start.  Liam Shaw is only with us on a temporary loan and I'd like to see what he can do in midfield rather than in defence, sooner rather than later.

GA however knows more about individual fitness and injury issues than we do and he plays his cards close to his chest. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes.

We have issues up front. Its becoming clear that Van Veen is our only central option and although talented he's becoming a latter day Stuart Elliott, with attitude. I'm not sure about Conor Shields. Was quite impressed with him until last night but he's no winger and is a bit lightweight for the middle. Looks to me like he'd play well off the shoulder of a bigger and stronger partner in the Higdon/Jutkiewicz mould. Its how we get the best out of him. The bottom line is that we miss Watt badly. We need someone strong enough to hold the ball up with a bit of nous to link up others. In fairness last night, midfield weren't  supporting the strikers.

Donnelly for me blows cold and cold, was woeful on Saturday but for the goal and was anonymous last night except for clattering into people. Maguire is 2 footed can pass and shoot accurately and doesn't shirk a tackle, he just needs to believe in himself more. I still can't see what Goss brings to the team, his crossing has been dreadful, he's not a tackler, he's just.......there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSR said:

Donnelly for me blows cold and cold, was woeful on Saturday but for the goal and was anonymous last night except for clattering into people. Maguire is 2 footed can pass and shoot accurately and doesn't shirk a tackle, he just needs to believe in himself more. I still can't see what Goss brings to the team, his crossing has been dreadful, he's not a tackler, he's just.......there

Are you watching the same Barry McGuire as me, how many times did he pass to a green jersey last night, he looks leggy every game he plays, agree with the other two, think we need to put Slattery back in and try the big boy Shaw and see what he can do …

2 hours ago, JSR said:

Really ? I think it’s just about the only one bringing anything just now. His delivery, assists, work rate, the ability to pass a ball. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

Totally agree. Don't know what the love in is with this guy. He couldn't tackle a sandwich.  

Not every player is a great tackler, and not every midfielder needs to be a defender.

You need the balance between holding, box to box, and creative.

One of our best teams had Bobby Russell and Davie Cooper playing beside each other. I doubt if they made 10 tackles between them in their time at Fir Park.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Not every player is a great tackler, and not every midfielder needs to be a defender.

You need the balance between holding, box to box, and creative.

One of our best teams had Bobby Russell and Davie Cooper playing beside each other. I doubt if they made 10 tackles between them in their time at Fir Park.

In a nutshell.....

To which I would add: all  three should have some level of football brain/awareness for the perfect midfield grouping.

Our best midfield this season has been a combination of Slattery, Goss and Maguire.

I think Cornelius is certainly unlucky to be out the squad as in the games he has played he is quick and carries a goal threat. 

Hopefully him and Slattery can get back to full fitness and into the team.

Personally I would like to see this in the future:

Goss.       Dean.       Slattery

Shaw also looked quite impressive in his wee cameo and could be a shout

10 minutes ago, johnstone said:

Our best midfield this season has been a combination of Slattery, Goss and Maguire.

I think Cornelius is certainly unlucky to be out the squad as in the games he has played he is quick and carries a goal threat. 

Hopefully him and Slattery can get back to full fitness and into the team.

Agreed,I was hoping we would have went with goss,slattery and cornelius against morton.the midfield we went with last night just doesn't have enough legs about it,cornelius would bring a bit more energy in there.itll be interesting to see who alexander goes with now that donnelly is suspended.

19 minutes ago, johnstone said:

100% My choice. A good mixture of skills and attributes. As you say Shaw may also have role to play.

• David locked this topic