2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

9 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Big mistake if GA doesn’t bring in another forward 

A bigger mistake if we brought in one that was worse than what we have. And as I've said a few times, it's rare that a Premiership class forward (that we can afford) is available in January.

Best case, they come from a lower league and will take 2 months before they are fit enough for 90 minutes.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:17 PM, Onthefringes said:

All the eggs in a Tierney basket methinks…

For me thats a decent shout, by all accounts he has potential as  an attacking midfielder just in behind the front 3 or 2 if GA ever has a breakdown and plays  442.

Well with half an hour to go this is looking like a pretty shite transfer window for us.

We lose Watt - our top goalscorer - and don’t replace him, unless you count the signing of yet another winger who has no track record of scoring goals. We bring in another defender, though why I don’t know and we bring in Tierney - who is probably the one big positive from this window as he looks like he can bring something.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s going to be a long second half of the season.

5 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Well with half an hour to go this is looking like a pretty shite transfer window for us.

We lose Watt - our top goalscorer - and don’t replace him, unless you count the signing of yet another winger who has no track record of scoring goals. We bring in another defender, though why I don’t know and we bring in Tierney - who is probably the one big positive from this window as he looks like he can bring something.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s going to be a long second half of the season.

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that. The transfer window is generally a pain in the backside and a distraction a club like ours could do without. I would add that the Lamie situation is not ideal. These pre contracts are a bit of a farce, leaving us with the option of letting him go for heehaw or paying his wages for half a season with his mind elsewhere and no guarantee he will give his best. Almost better to let him go now, although that would probably be allowing Dundee to take the piss.

5 minutes ago, The African said:

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that. The transfer window is generally a pain in the backside and a distraction a club like ours could do without. I would add that the Lamie situation is not ideal. These pre contracts are a bit of a farce, leaving us with the option of letting him go for heehaw or paying his wages for half a season with his mind elsewhere and no guarantee he will give his best. Almost better to let him go now, although that would probably be allowing Dundee to take the piss.

Absolutely, I hate pre-contracts for that very reason, especially when it’s a player who’s coming/leaving for another side in the same league. 

As for the remainder of the season you just have to wonder just what, if anything, we have to look forward too.

There is zero football in that squad and therefore zero entertainment for the support. At best we can be described as a workmanlike side but it’s awful to watch. We won’t be anywhere near relegation which, if the sole ambition is to avoid, then we have met our target but I can confidently say here and now that we won’t be in the hunt for the European spots and we won’t be going any distance in the Cup.

The best we can hope for is to manage to scrape our way to a top six finish, which I appreciate is commendable, but it’s going to be awful to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

Gie us a fukin break

• Like 3

It's been a while since we have had a quiet January transfer deadline day, since this was introduced I think the lowest number of signings was just the one under McGhee in 2016 which was Morgaro Gomis. I'm glad that Alexander got most of his transfer business done early, can't help but feel a forward to play through the middle would have been the final piece of the puzzle.

12 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

There is zero football in that squad and therefore zero entertainment for the support. At best we can be described as a workmanlike side but it’s awful to watch. 

I usually think you lean towards pessimism but are at least grounded in reality but I don't really see where you're coming from with this.

KVV is as mercurial a forward as we've had in years, Woolery and Shields both have pace to burn, Roberts is good for a spectacular goal now and then and Slattery and Goss are both very technically capable in midfield. Even the likes of Mugabi rampaging up and down the flank has been a laugh this season, and there's no reason Tierney, Shaw and Efford couldn't all be exciting players for us.

You might think all of the above are inconsistent/pish- and I'd agree with you on a few- but it's far from the most workmanlike squad we've had in recent seasons. There was a while were our striking options were Main, Bowman, Sammon and Johnson, and our "flair" players were Elliot Frear and Gael Bigirimana.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's definitely been a bad window for us. We are weaker up front and relying on this American to make an impact that seems highly unlikely.

I wonder how the club came to their valuation of Lamie in comparison to Watt. If the league's top scorer in Watt was only worth 100 grand it's hard to say that your 4th choice centre back is worth 30. I suspect we held on to Lamie because Burrows has realised setting a precedent where players get to chop 6 months off their contract if it suits them financially is bad business for the club but it just looks daft now after bending over for Dundee United. 

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's definitely been a bad window for us. We are weaker up front and relying on this American to make an impact that seems highly unlikely.

Guy has not even played a minute for the club yet and your already convinced he isn't up to it....:rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Guy has not even played a minute for the club yet and your already convinced he isn't up to it....:rolleyes:

Woolery, Roberts, Shields and Amazulor haven't been able to make much of an impact so it seems unlikely a guy released by a Belgian lower league team is going to be any different.

Just now, steelboy said:

Woolery, Roberts, Shields and Amazulor haven't been able to make much of an impact so it seems unlikely a guy released by a Belgian lower league team is going to be any different.

Yeah because using that methodology guys like Dougie Arnott who came from the juniors would never get signed never mind allowed to play for the first team

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

So let’s just write off everyone. Sounds like the way the go.

5 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

So let’s just write off everyone. Sounds like the way the go.

I don't think we have the right balance in possession/attack since Watt left to get the best out of direct attacking players.

This guy isn't going to get any better service than Roberts has recently and it doesn't look like he creates so it's an uphill battle. 

Tierney looks like he might be able to play a pass in the final third but Hearts nullified him easily enough on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

I thought we paid a fee for him.

Also the Belgian second tier is probably broadly similar level to the bottom of the SPL.

He's a gamble, he might be shite, he might be great and he might be somewhere in between but at least let the boy kick a ball for us.

• Like 2

I have frankly lost count of the number of players who have come in and did a job for us having struggled elsewhere or who have had no real pedigree. Strikers alone you have McDonald, Ojaama, Arnott, Shivute and Lehmann. And the list of those with better pedigree who have underwhelmed, well it doesn't end with John Hendry...

• David locked this topic