2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

6 hours ago, Yassin said:

I usually think you lean towards pessimism but are at least grounded in reality but I don't really see where you're coming from with this.

KVV is as mercurial a forward as we've had in years, Woolery and Shields both have pace to burn, Roberts is good for a spectacular goal now and then and Slattery and Goss are both very technically capable in midfield. Even the likes of Mugabi rampaging up and down the flank has been a laugh this season, and there's no reason Tierney, Shaw and Efford couldn't all be exciting players for us.

You might think all of the above are inconsistent/pish- and I'd agree with you on a few- but it's far from the most workmanlike squad we've had in recent seasons. There was a while were our striking options were Main, Bowman, Sammon and Johnson, and our "flair" players were Elliot Frear and Gael Bigirimana.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your assessments of the players you mentioned, but it’s more that we as a team don’t appear to be aiming to ‘play football’ so to speak. We are most definitely a workmanlike side and that has it’s positive aspects in that we are certainly more effective at being so when we had that Carl McHugh, Connor Sammon, Andy Rose etc. However we are not a ‘footballing side’ and while we do have players who have the potential to offer that something a bit different individually, in our team and in the way we set up they are unable to do so.

I remember all the hype from McLeish before his debut, I enjoyed his marauding runs but I don't think he actually knew where he wanted to go himself. That was typical of McLeish back then, he spent a pretty penny getting loads of trialists in from all over, I remember he wanted to sign a Nigerian goalie but couldn't due to a work permit issue. He also passed up signing Marvin Andrews and Stern John around 1997.

Did we not actually get a decent fee for Shivute heading to China?

17 hours ago, steelboy said:

Woolery, Roberts, Shields and Amazulor haven't been able to make much of an impact so it seems unlikely a guy released by a Belgian lower league team is going to be any different.

Ok so its official then Efford is pish, we could always put in a bid for the Raith Rapist, he had a decent scoring record at lower league Clyde and will probably be a free agent soon , would he do :ph34r:

2 hours ago, maz said:

I remember all the hype from McLeish before his debut, I enjoyed his marauding runs but I don't think he actually knew where he wanted to go himself. That was typical of McLeish back then, he spent a pretty penny getting loads of trialists in from all over, I remember he wanted to sign a Nigerian goalie but couldn't due to a work permit issue. He also passed up signing Marvin Andrews and Stern John around 1997.

Did we not actually get a decent fee for Shivute heading to China?

He also knocked back signing a young Ole Gunnar Solskjær! 

18 hours ago, steelboy said:

Woolery, Roberts, Shields and Amazulor haven't been able to make much of an impact so it seems unlikely a guy released by a Belgian lower league team is going to be any different.

I agree about Roberts and Amaluzor but Shields is a long term project. That said, I'm not sure of his exact position in the team. I like Woolery but he needs work. He earned us a point last night with his perseverance and vital pass. Give Efford a chance, he hasn't even appeared yet.

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Ok so its official then Efford is pish, we could always put in a bid for the Raith Rapist, he had a decent scoring record at lower league Clyde and will probably be a free agent soon , would he do :ph34r:

Maybe go for something slightly less contrversial with Leigh Griffiths. Might go under the radar while the Raith/Goodwillie stuff is going on :ninja:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Last post by: said:

He also knocked back signing a young Ole Gunnar Solskjær! 

I think that story has grown legs over the years.

As I understand it Solskjaer did his national service and when he came out the army his agent basically contacted every British football club in the telephone directory...

52 minutes ago, Heisenboab said:

Maybe go for something slightly less contrversial with Leigh Griffiths. Might go under the radar while the Raith/Goodwillie stuff is going on :ninja:

TBH if a manager can get Griffiths's head and attitude sorted there is a half decent player there but as he stands nobody will touch him.

59 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think that story has grown legs over the years.

As I understand it Solskjaer did his national service and when he came out the army his agent basically contacted every British football club in the telephone directory...

I remember watching an interview with Alex McLeish and he mentioned the Solskjaer interest where he confirmed it was true, he gave an in-depth reason in why he thought John Hendry was a better option mainly due to his experience in British football. Hindsight is obviously a wonderful thing though.

We also had a keeper in on trial, Pegguy Arphexad around 1997, he was listed to play a pre season friendly for us against Aston Villa but his international clearance never arrived in time. He ended up in the English Premiership with Leicester and Liverpool, even winning a UEFA Cup medal amongst many domestic honours, however not to big him up too much though as it seems he was literally back up everywhere he went. McLeish spent some amount of dosh getting trialists in back in the day.

42 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Griffiths has been released by Celtic and is a free agent.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see us give him a deal til June. 

Not averse to the idea, but not sure he is GA's type of player, or that we could match Dundee's wages. Certainly a proven goalscorer in our league, but could we get a tune out of him?

I think Griffiths would be worth the risk till the end of the season.

He's a massive talent but he needs a right kick up the backside.

Maybe Alexander could be the  guy to deliver the boot up the arse.

I suppose it depends on how much demand there is for him and if Alexander would be willing to give someone who's really wasted 3 or so years of his career another chance.

He's actually played in the last 9 Dundee matches before last night anyway so he should be 'relatively' fit, although we all know what previous managers have said about Griffiths fitness regime.

42 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think Griffiths would be worth the risk till the end of the season.

He's a massive talent but he needs a right kick up the backside.

Maybe Alexander could be the  guy to deliver the boot up the arse.

I suppose it depends on how much demand there is for him and if Alexander would be willing to give someone who's really wasted 3 or so years of his career another chance.

He's actually played in the last 9 Dundee matches before last night anyway so he should be 'relatively' fit, although we all know what previous managers have said about Griffiths fitness regime.

There's no question he's talented , equally no question he has issues. 

We've been wasteful with strikers and have too many forwards on the books - the difference here is Griffiths can score goals.

Certainly worth a punt as we've been struggling for goals. 

I reckon if he phones GA and says I can play anywhere across the front 3 he'll be in with a chance :wink:

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I reckon if he phones GA and says I can play anywhere across the front 3 he'll be in with a chance :wink:

Well the thing about Griffiths is he actually can.

Remember when he played for Hibs he played off the centre on the right side.  So that's two out of three at least.

The thing with Griffiths is, if he's playing football somewhere he's appreciated and is gelling well with team mates and manager he seems able to get his shit together. That period of time where he was playing for Scotland and scoring regularly for Celtic he seemed fit and up for it.

Could Alexander get that kind of dedication and form out of him? Who knows. The guy has knocked back Dundee though, which makes me wonder if he maybe has other offers down south. Getting himself out of Scotland and Scottish football wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

There's no doubt Griffiths was a top class striker.

I'd be amazed, however, if he ever performs at that level again as he just isn't managing what appears to be mental health issues. Sadly, I've seen nothing in the past few years that suggests he's likely to fare any better with any other team.

On one hand, playing football probably gives him a level of comfort and stability he needs. On the other hand, walking away from football for a year or two to focus entirely on his health might be exactly what he needs.

I get the distinct impression that GA has fairly high standards and expectations of a player and his focus and approach to playing the game.

In essence the exact opposite of what Griffiths has served up for many years. A natural goalscorer for sure when he is on his game. But that has been few and far between.

Plus we have the yank to still see so I very much doubt there is any interest in Griffiths from anyone in the top flight bar St Mirren possibly. 

Griffiths? really. I cant believe some who I consider on here to be fair and reasonable contributors in a discussion would have him. 

He has what i can think of top off my head been shown to be a racist and engage in sexual discussions with 16 year olds plus every celtic manager in last 3/4 years has not had anything positive to say about him. 

I do not know anything about his mental health but his last manager Lennon has his own mental health issues and that did not stop him from slating him so that suggest to me something different to griffiths opinion.

He is in my opinion a waste of space who whilst a good player in years gone by previously he has little respect for anyone as shown  over the same years gone by

He would split the dressing room and the fans and create divides all over the place with peoples opinions so its a no way from me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

Griffiths? really. I cant believe some who I consider on here to be fair and reasonable contributors in a discussion would have him. 

He has what i can think of top off my head been shown to be a racist and engage in sexual discussions with 16 year olds plus every celtic manager in last 3/4 years has not had anything positive to say about him. 

I do not know anything about his mental health but his last manager Lennon has his own mental health issues and that did not stop him from slating him so that suggest to me something different to griffiths opinion.

He is in my opinion a waste of space who whilst a good player in years gone by previously he has little respect for anyone as shown  over the same years gone by

He would split the dressing room and the fans and create divides all over the place with peoples opinions so its a no way from me.

I think you have just listed all the reasons why it wont happen.

The only one that would have made it even worth considering is his football ability.

Having a debate whether the latter is worth overlooking the former is normal.

Griffiths could be a divisive character for sure, but Im not sure he is on the Goodwillie level?

• David locked this topic