2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

I think one area where we've badly been short this season is experience, a level of professionalism and character to guide players through a game and perhaps resolve any internal issues (similar to the roles that Hartley and Tait played). Perhaps Foley could play a part in that and set professional standards next year for any new players we have coming in, even if he isn't a regular starter he could be invaluable in such a role. 

• Thanks 1

My take on it, is we have never had a leader on the park. Declan Gallagher to me, was never Captain material, and I think we have suffered because of it. Hartley might have been slow and at the end of his career, but to me he could motivate the players around him., and that's one thing we need.

• Like 1

Sam Foley is open to a new deal, according to the Rancid. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-star-hoped-remembered-how-24027927

Interestingly, he says "I have never made a decision based on money in my life". It just goes to show that not all footballers, like the population as a whole, are driven by squeezing an extra penny out of somebody or organisation.

32 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Interestingly, he says "I have never made a decision based on money in my life". It just goes to show that not all footballers, like the population as a whole, are driven by squeezing an extra penny out of somebody or organisation.

Seems like a guy with the absolute right attitude. Here's his comments when he left St Mirren - 

FB_IMG_1611847931368.thumb.jpeg.a40a6067

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Today's BBC gossip...

Aberdeen are on the verge of sealing a deal for Scotland defender Declan Gallagher, with the Motherwell captain moving to Pittodrie under freedom of contract. (Daily Record)

Hopefully they get it sorted and we move on. Time to get a couple of leaders into the centre of defence.

Near enough the whole team have been average this season so i won't hold gallagher's form against him,he's far from irreplaceable and if we can manage to pick up a hartley or aldred type then we may actually be better off in the long run.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Today's BBC gossip...

Aberdeen are on the verge of sealing a deal for Scotland defender Declan Gallagher, with the Motherwell captain moving to Pittodrie under freedom of contract. (Daily Record)

There's the first confirmation of the thing that plenty of us knew. The extension trigger that was agreed upon has been renagued upon and pie'd. Just the fine upstanding behaviour you'd expect from a club captain. Hope you go and emulate Curtis Main.

• Like 2

I agree with you G&F but at the same time it would appear that the club are happy with the outcome of it. Can only speculate but maybe Declan agreed to a hefty wage cut for the remainder of the season or something like that.

Either way it's quite funny how he's cost himself a starting slot in the Scotland XI and his megabucks move is to a declining Aberdeen who are going to finish 5th at best behind the big city clubs next year and have just made a ghastly managerial appointment. Sick big move you've got yourself there Dec.

8 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Sick big move you've got yourself there Dec.

He's probably not giving two shites, so long as they pay him handsomely to see out the remainder of his career.

I honestly cannot say I've been so apathetic to a Motherwell FC player for as long as I can remember.

31 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

...... it would appear that the club are happy with the outcome of it. Can only speculate but maybe Declan agreed to a hefty wage cut for the remainder of the season or something like that.

Don't know about happy as we would have retained his services or if anyone wanted him it would have taken a fee to get his signature.

What we had in our corner was GA playing him or not. No game time before the Euro's, harder for Steve Clarke to pick him. I suspect the deal to let him go is all the Euro money comes to us (as it was meant to). The estimate was about £70k? Not great but better than nothing. I doubt his agent or his wares will ever be welcomed through the door at the Chapman and Flow has probably has ordered a voodoo doll in his effigy from eBay with big needles.

As for his injury in Jan, OTF who does have his finger on the pulse says it was genuine as I'm inclined to believe that too.

• Do I think it was milked after the event .... yes.
  • Do I think the agent and the player sought advantageous contract discussions when he was "recuperating" and the extension hadn't been triggered .... yes.
  • Do I think he's not covered himself in glory .... yes.
  • Will I find any "thanks to the fans, you've been great" farewell social media posts grating and insincere .... yes.

Just slink out the back door with no fanfare or empty gestures please.

• Like 1

The club and the player both know the exact details of the contract and would have been able to manage any issues weeks or months in advance.

Anything else posted about it on here is as credible as Trump's stolen election claims.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What I've seen that seems believable was that the clause was poorly worded and a good lawyer would have tore it to shreds. 

At the same time I imagine he was advised not to play to keep things as clear as possible, so rather than feigning injury he may have not played through injury or rushed back as fast he may normally have, which is not the same thing as feigning injury. 

The club may have tried to pull a fly one with the clause and may have been called on it a bit. Thats life, he'll be well paid up at Aberdeen and I don't grudge anyone getting paid.

At the same time I'm not gutted he's leaving i do think we may struggle for equivalent quality on the same money.

Gallagher has been the best defender we've had at the club for a very long time.

He was absolutely exceptional last season and while not at that level this term he's still our best defender by a country mile.

Disappointing that he's moving on, resigning him would have been a major coup, but if you are good at Motherwell you don't stay here long.

I suspect some people will miss him more next season than right at this instant.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

The club may have tried to pull a fly one with the clause and may have been called on it a bit.

I don't know about that. Gallagher and his lawyer would have been very well aware of this clause before he put pen to paper. I suspect it was a fairly run of the mill condition used in many football deals. 

The club will not be pleased at how things turned out but probably feel they've made the best of a bad situation.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know about that. Gallagher and his lawyer would have been very well aware of this clause before he put pen to paper. I suspect it was a fairly run of the mill condition used in many football deals. 

The club will not be pleased at how things turned out but probably feel they've made the best of a bad situation.

The club were also sending him flowers to congratulate him on the birth of his child so they can't have been that unhappy.

28 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Again the rumour was that it was his Da that was acting as his agent at the time and when he got a real agent that's when the clause was looked at and thought to be not actionable.

Again, thats the rumour that was going about.

The club being publicly conciliatory to Gallagher might just mean that they are trying to keep their reputation as a player friendly working environment intact. 

I still think the biggest unanswered question is why he was sitting at home streaming computer games when the rest of the squad was at Fir Park on a match day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

The issue would potentially be if the club allowed his Dad to act as an agent despite him not being licensed. 

He no longer wants to be at Motherwell and for me thats been the case for a few months, so he won't be missed, 2 more games then we can move this debate to the former players thread and wish him well at Aberdeen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Gallagher has been the best defender we've had at the club for a very long time.

He was absolutely exceptional last season and while not at that level this term he's still our best defender by a country mile.

Disappointing that he's moving on, resigning him would have been a major coup, but if you are good at Motherwell you don't stay here long.

I suspect some people will miss him more next season than right at this instant.

I can’t say I agree with that. I’ve only been Watching Motherwell for the last 4/5 years and I would put Kipre well above him in every aspect, Aldred far more dependable and a better organiser at the back, Hartley at his best also had better all round attributes in my view. How much he’s missed is totally down to who we sign, I don’t think it’s a massive ask to bring in a more than solid centre half which is all he was this season in my view.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

The club being publicly conciliatory to Gallagher might just mean that they are trying to keep their reputation as a player friendly working environment intact. 

I still think the biggest unanswered question is why he was sitting at home streaming computer games when the rest of the squad was at Fir Park on a match day. 

Given he’s as good as away I’m not sure it matters that much in truth.

On 5/4/2021 at 4:16 PM, Kmcalpin said:

Sam Foley is open to a new deal, according to the Rancid. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-star-hoped-remembered-how-24027927

aye but they are rarer than Hens teeth.

• David locked this topic