2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

46 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Hope so we need to end the TW drama and move him on now.

I can see a deal been done, I don’t think either club want this to drag on until the end of the season and it’s money we can use to strengthen up top ourselves. I’m sure Alexander will have someone lined up even now should it go through and Watt moves.

If watt does leave,I would like to see us bring in a couple of strikers,one to replace him and another just to give us an extra option until the end of the season.im almost certain shaw is an upgrade on crawford and if we can add something to the forward line and get a bit of luck injury wise to our centre halfs then we will be in good shape for the rest of the season.

9 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I can see a deal been done, I don’t think either club want this to drag on until the end of the season and it’s money we can use to strengthen up top ourselves. I’m sure Alexander will have someone lined up even now should it go through and Watt moves.

You're probably right Yorky. By way of a very rough comparison, as they're different types of players, St Mirren are supposedly looking for £350K for McGrath, who is also out of contract at the end of the season. The caveat is that its tabloid talk and Saints are, of course, media darlings.

I hope we are looking at replacements for Watt but we can't afford to strike a deal at the very last minute without being able to bring someone else in.

Edit: BBC football page saying "Tony Watt has been secured for the summer and talks continue to expedite that deal, but a reported fee of £100,000 is a high price for four or five months. " and "Jamie McGrath and Ethan Erhahon are St Mirren's most sought-after players and January is the club's last chance to sell Republic of Ireland midfielder McGrath, with Aberdeen rumoured to be interested (for less than £100K presumably?)."

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

.Edit: BBC football page saying "Tony Watt has been secured for the summer and talks continue to expedite that deal, but a reported fee of £100,000 is a high price for four or five months. "

If TW's goals help you move up the league an extra place or two, £100k sounds like a bargain.  I'd be asking for closer to £200k.

• Like 1

Was having a bit of a set too on P&B with United fans on this. 

I saw a figure of £350k being quoted for St Mirren for McGrath to go to Aberdeen this month. He too is out of contract this summer. I would argue Watt is equally if not more important to us. 

Truth is I doubt we would quote a fee that would be unrealistic as it would be best for both clubs if he moved on. But I think a fee of £150 to £250k would be realistic for the leagues top goalscorer. If United are not willing to pay more than £100k then I very much doubt a deal will be done. 

1 minute ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Was having a bit of a set too on P&B with United fans on this. 

I saw a figure of £350k being quoted for St Mirren for McGrath to go to Aberdeen this month. He too is out of contract this summer. I would argue Watt is equally if not more important to us. 

Truth is I doubt we would quote a fee that would be unrealistic as it would be best for both clubs if he moved on. But I think a fee of £150 to £250k would be realistic for the leagues top goalscorer. If United are not willing to pay more than £100k then I very much doubt a deal will be done. 

I think if a deal is not done ( I believe one will be) it’s going to help no one. If he plays I can see a backlash from a percentage of the support, if he’s then not in the first team we’ve lost out on a chunk of money for a replacement. It’s ok Alexander stating he will play and that’s fine IF he’s not getting abuse from the stands.

5 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think if a deal is not done ( I believe one will be) it’s going to help no one. If he plays I can see a backlash from a percentage of the support, if he’s then not in the first team we’ve lost out on a chunk of money for a replacement. It’s ok Alexander stating he will play and that’s fine IF he’s not getting abuse from the stands.

I would think it is more a case of how Watt deals with abuse from the stands and I think he will deal with it fine. Personally I would like him to stay until the end of the season.

And if TW goes this month and continues his scoring run, there is a decent chance he will be called up by Scotland. Generating additional income for United and increasing his value. £100k seems low to me. If that is all we are asking for then we are being over generous. No reason we could not add a few extras, like additional payments based on goals, league position or a Scotland call up. And I'm pretty sure there have been recent examples of players moving early and an agreement being reached that they could not feature against their former club for the remainder of that season? Don't think there are any rules ruling out any lawful terms negotiated between clubs. 

There are rules against that. Once the players registration has been transferred then no other club has the right to dictate who they play against.

If Watt stays and keeps performing as he has so far this season there won't be many book from the stands, subdued applause certainly but not boos.

I think he'll go but you can see why the manager is saying what he's said.

I also see the Record linking us with Roberts on a permanent deal, I assume that's just paper talk based on nothing new.

I think he will go for about 100k but it wont happen until the last couple of days of the window but fully expect utd to offer us like 50k and nicky clarke before that,which should be flat out refused.if we don't get what we're looking for we are as well keeping him,there's no point in strengthening utd if we're getting next to nothing out of it.on roberts i wouldn't be looking for us to bring him back this time,he done well first time around coming into a struggling side but this time he hasn't been upto much.

Tie the fee to their finishing position. They are 7 th now.  For each place above that they pay 80k cash at end of season.  With a 100k minimum to be paid up front. Should they finish 2 places higher they owe us 60k. Should they end up 7th or lower.  We keep the 100k and they don’t owe anything. 

15 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Tie the fee to their finishing position. They are 7 th now.  For each place above that they pay 80k cash at end of season.  With a 100k minimum to be paid up front. Should they finish 2 places higher they owe us 60k. Should they end up 7th or lower.  We keep the 100k and they don’t owe anything. 

It's as much about how many places we might fall, as how many places Utd might rise. It would almost be worth plummeting from 4th to 10th if it meant they had to pay us £800k, doubled up to £1.6M to compensate us for missing out on a brief European adventure.

Luckily, that particular risky-but-tempting option will never actually be on the table, because knowing our luck we'd overshoot 10th and end up relegated while trying to cash in :wink:

• Haha 1

£100,000 isn't enough if we don't get a proper replacement in.

If we get someone who can go straight into the team or someone to develop on a long term deal then fair enough. But if we are doing the usual last day of the January window routine with minimal quality available then we need to be well compensated to weaken the squad. 

We don't want another Harry Smith or Eddie Nolan situation. 

• Like 1

I think Shields will end up being the best replacement - at least over the next few months. He has been training with the squad all season and well up to speed now with our shape and tactics and looked decent enough in the games he's played.

Unlikely we'll find a 10 goal/half-season replacement in the January market.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I think Shields will end up being the best replacement - at least over the next few months. He has been training with the squad all season and well up to speed now with our shape and tactics and looked decent enough in the games he's played.

Unlikely we'll find a 10 goal/half-season replacement in the January market.

My thoughts as well,  if TW goes in January and / or he is not played till the end of the season, Shields deserves his chance of an extended run in the team and if GA thinks we need extra cover wait till the summer when we have more time and probably better options to explore. 

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

My thoughts as well,  if TW goes in January and / or he is not played till the end of the season, Shields deserves his chance of an extended run in the team and if GA thinks we need extra cover wait till the summer when we have more time and probably better options to explore. 

That’s my thought, we need to give Shields his shot first, no point bringing in promising players from the championship on 3 year deals if we don’t give them time. We might as well just go back to 12 month contracts if that’s the case.

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Merit in some of that. Doubt those currently training/on trial will wait till the summer.

• David locked this topic