2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

4 goals in 45 appearances for Efford in Belgium.

He'll fit right in with Woolery, Shields and Roberts.

Tony Watt only scored 11 in his last 87 appearances over 6 different clubs since 2016 before he joined us and that worked out ok

21 minutes ago, steelboy said:

4 goals in 45 appearances for Efford in Belgium.

He'll fit right in with Woolery, Shields and Roberts.

I had hoped we’d moved away from the days of signing wingers who “can play anywhere across the front three” as Robinson liked to say as opposed to signing a proper striker who could play through the middle but it seems not.

Best of luck to the boy and welcome to the club but I can’t help feel like this isn’t exactly what we need right now.

49 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I had hoped we’d moved away from the days of signing wingers who “can play anywhere across the front three” as Robinson liked to say as opposed to signing a proper striker who could play through the middle but it seems not.

Best of luck to the boy and welcome to the club but I can’t help feel like this isn’t exactly what we need right now.

I have no problem if Joe Efford turns out to be a decent addition to our collection of wingers and will give him my support. However, like you I feel we need an out and out striker - that has been demonstrated on the field in our last 2 games. Van Veen is very talented  and can be unplayable on his day, but is very inconsistent. His temperament is also questionable and I can envisage him missing games through injury or suspension. Shields is work in progress but I'm not convinced he's an outright No 9. Given that the club knew that Watt was likely to move on this season I would have thought that we'd have had a few oven ready striking options lined up. The window doesn't close until Monday so I'd hope we can do some business before it slams shut. If we don't, our top 6 place is in jeopardy. Euro places are still up for grabs too so there's a bit at stake. 

We’ve needed an out and out striker, or a ‘No.9’ type since Moult left four years ago and for whatever reason we have opted for signing attacking wingers or ‘secondary type’ strikers as opposed to scouting and signing players who’s natural position is to play up front and through the middle. 

I fully appreciate that we are restricted by our budget and the wages we can offer, also that signing players in the January window is that bit more difficult, but I cannot understand why we seem to target the same type of player over and over again. Tony Watt was not an out and out striker but he was the nearest thing we’ve had to one in the last four years and KvV isn’t one either but could be a brilliant foil/partner for a player who is.

Obviously I will give every player we sign my full backing and support and I hope that Joe Efford can bring something to the table, but for me this is a strange signing.

56 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We’ve needed an out and out striker, or a ‘No.9’ type since Moult left four years ago and for whatever reason we have opted for signing attacking wingers or ‘secondary type’ strikers as opposed to scouting and signing players who’s natural position is to play up front and through the middle. 

I fully appreciate that we are restricted by our budget and the wages we can offer, also that signing players in the January window is that bit more difficult, but I cannot understand why we seem to target the same type of player over and over again. Tony Watt was not an out and out striker but he was the nearest thing we’ve had to one in the last four years and KvV isn’t one either but could be a brilliant foil/partner for a player who is.

Obviously I will give every player we sign my full backing and support and I hope that Joe Efford can bring something to the table, but for me this is a strange signing.

On our budget signing a prolific striker is next to impossible, none league teams down south are paying bigger wages. We’ve taken punts on plenty of central strikers since Moult left but it’s always going to be nothing more than that, Moult was just a bit of good luck but even he took a while to settle in.

I know that and I’m not expecting us to sign proven goalscorers with a track record of scoring 25+ goals a season at a decent level. However I can’t understand why we are not targeting central forward players who we know are most comfortable playing in that position and hoping for that bit of luck that sees them doing very well for us. Like Louis Moult :dontknow:

Every signing we make is going to be a gamble but we need to try and stack the odds in our favour.

Let's be honest proven goal Scorers at a decent level are not going to be available in a mid season transfer window, especially on the money Motherwell has to spend.

Our markets are the lower / non league teams to try to find a player with potential and hope they step up and score a few, like Moult, Higdon, McDonald, and latterly Watt who all seemed to find Fir Park a great place to be. But for every success there are more failures who don't make it but that's how we operate, so give each player their chance then judge them on how good or Bad they were.

• Like 1

GA will know exactly the type of player he wants and it would be nice to sign a prolific scorer at this level but thats not likely. What we do need, in my opinion, is a guy with a bit of physicality who can hold the ball up and bring others like for example, Tierney or Van Veen into play.   That would also give them some vital space.

I can't say I'm too disheartened at the loss of Lamie, the guy had left me with lasting anxiety issues from the 2019/20 season without having actually seen him in the flesh that season. He obviously improved massively under Alexander, he done a job and scored a handful of nice headers. Good luck to him at Dundee, I think he'll be away asap as they need defensive reinforcements post haste.

35 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The club has had 40 days to find a replacement for Tony Watt.  If we don't bring in a number 9 who is more reliable than KVV or a player to go straight into the team who can link midfield to attack and create we are in for a painful end to the season. 

We've had several months, not 40 days.  It seems that Watt expressed his intention to move on quite some time ago.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

The club has had 40 days to find a replacement for Tony Watt.  If we don't bring in a number 9 who is more reliable than KVV or a player to go straight into the team who can link midfield to attack and create we are in for a painful end to the season. 

All the eggs in a Tierney basket methinks…

21 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I know that and I’m not expecting us to sign proven goalscorers with a track record of scoring 25+ goals a season at a decent level. However I can’t understand why we are not targeting central forward players who we know are most comfortable playing in that position and hoping for that bit of luck that sees them doing very well for us. Like Louis Moult :dontknow:

Every signing we make is going to be a gamble but we need to try and stack the odds in our favour.

We have in players like White, Watt, Main, Danny Johnstone, Shields and I’m sure we’re still looking for the next one but on our wages it must be a nightmare. I can pretty much guarantee we’ve offered a few players a contract to join us and the’ve chosen to go elsewhere. If it’s that easy to sign a proven goalscorer why has every club in the top flight not got one ? White went to Ross County, Main to Aberdeen then St Mirren, Johnstone to Dundee. All players rated as not good enough while with us. Shields is on a 3 year contract and he’s going to need more game time unless we’re already giving up on him which would be a huge waste of money.  End of the day though we get one or two poor results and we then get the usual over reaction, we’ve suddenly become an awful team with hardly a decent player at the club.  We’re 4th in the league and have had a very successful last 12 months, it’s Motherwell and even as someone that’s not supported the club for decades I believe it’s always been one step forward and one back. If we could suddenly double the home support I’m sure we could sign more consistent players and maybe retain the good one for a while longer but the reality is with have a core home support of 4000 and until that changes we will keep losing the likes of Watt to clubs paying more money.

• Like 3

• David locked this topic