2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

4 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

You’ll have seen my posts a lot earlier in this thread. If you think there is going to be a mass cull and the rebuild you were looking for you’re being naive at best.

Aye and u of course are an expert 

Well, as the sun sets on a season to forget for multiple reasons ( actually it's morning here and absolutely p*ss*ng down which also seems somehow apt) where do we find ourselves?

The players who are already signed on for next season are an uninspiring bunch who have either underperformed over the last twelve months or are just not good enough. It is the manager's task to get a whole lot more out of them both collectively and as individuals. A fair few question marks over a few - can Carson return from injury and be as good as he was? can Grimshaw return after illness and provide the industry and utility that would enhance the squad? can Stephen Lawless find the form and inclination to remind us that his signing was a cause of some optimism? can Harry Robinson return from Aldi with everything on the list and the correct change?

The players we have brought in on loan have been a mixed bag, but I honestly cannot make a case for keeping any of them. Kelly would be a great signing, but we couldn't afford him and the only other one to make an impact , Roberts, is now out with a long term injury.

The players whose contracts are coming to an end are another mixed bag. Cole has done enough to warrant a new deal, though whether or not t will be with us is the real question. Long is a frustration in that there is obviously talent there, but it only appears when you have just about given up on him. Probably a luxury that a club at our level cannot really afford. I have some sympathy for the likes of Semele and Cornelius who have lack opportunities to show if they can make a mark, but if they haven't already broken through in our current squad, will they ever? Scott Fox has been unlucky with injury but you would think that Morrison is now ready to be our back up keeper. Charles Dunne has to prove that he has recovered enough to be a viable option in our squad. Foley is decent, but not a long term option. I can se most of them going.

My hope is that the manager is able to take what we already have and get the best out of it. A good team is greater than the sum of it's parts, and the one thing that we can probably all agree on is that, this season, this has not been the case at Fir Park. 

I think we will have to bring in some new blood. As o who and what position, a lot will depend on who remains after the new deals are offered, rejected and so on. The three things I think we need to highlight with regard to strengthening the squad are leadership, quality and character. All three have been sadly lacking this season and, without them, we are in for another year of struggle at the wrong end of the table.

Anyway, we made it through this year. Sincere best wishes to all true Motherwell fans. Here's to better times ahead, and not just on the football field. I believe we are lucky to support an amazing football club, forged in the steel of a white hot furnace, and trying to achieve against the odds. When I think about it, I thank my late father for instilling this passion and support in me and realise that, although it may be a struggle on the bad days, it is part of me forever now and I love it. 

PS A wee cup win next season would be nice.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Livy supporters just about to a man were  sorry to see Lawless go and felt he had been one of their best players, he was a regular in the Thistle team that also finished top 6. On paper he looked a very solid signing and certainly one that could do a job.

I am going to give lawless the benefit of the doubt, before coming in he had played very little football, he had barely trained either with his injury, he then got injured again when he came in and missed another month or so. He hasn't been great but I will put that down to match sharpness as opposed to him being a dud. Get a good pre season under his belt and we will see a much better player. I am sure of it.

I honestly wouldn't judge any player in any league on this season's performances. It has been a hell of a weird campaign with all sorts of unusual circumstances to deal with. From driving to games and periods of self-isolation to socially distanced team meetings and, for some, not being able to see family for months.

Even at the highest level, the best teams have often struggled to find form or consistency.

As I've said a few times this season, I was delighted to have football back and it definitely helped getting through lockdown.

I'm equally delighted, however, that the season is over and never want to see another one like this again.

8 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Most suspect he was still drunk from George Square on Saturday.

Lazy recruitment. No amount of ore-season training will rectify that.

maybe it was slightly lazy however he was a decent enough SPFL player so you can see the reasoning behind it. I just don't think all is lost.....YET.

Motherwell starting 11 form over the league season (according to Who Scored.com).  Based on an algorithm of all the in game data they collect.

Sometimes these things don't tell the full story and I'd always prefer to judge a player by eye than on game data but I still think it's kind of interesting to look at, especially as we all have our own bias for and against various players.

Basically goes Dark Green - very good, Green - good, Yellow - Average, Orange - below average, Red - poor, Dark Red - very poor.

Motherwell player form.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

I am going to give lawless the benefit of the doubt, before coming in he had played very little football, he had barely trained either with his injury, he then got injured again when he came in and missed another month or so. He hasn't been great but I will put that down to match sharpness as opposed to him being a dud. Get a good pre season under his belt and we will see a much better player. I am sure of it.

Here here. I was as angry as anyone with him giving the ball away prior to the 2nd County goal. That said Magloire showed his inexperience as he hesitated and stepped forward when a more experienced defender would have seen Gardyne was the threat and closed him down.

I think the last 2 results were a result of a number of factors. Not least missing Campbell’s bite in midfield + dare I say it playing Magloire in front of Gallacher. Not something I would have done regardless the facts that he’s is off to Aberdeen.

I think the Manager made an error there. I understand why but if we were still desperate to finish 7th as he alluded too after the game. Play your strongest team !  I think with a bit more coaching and experience there could be a player in Magloire, but not sure I could take him learning his trade with us. He is like a younger Mugabi. Too many errors. 

13 hours ago, The African said:

Well, as the sun sets on a season to forget for multiple reasons ( actually it's morning here and absolutely p*ss*ng down which also seems somehow apt) where do we find ourselves?

The players who are already signed on for next season are an uninspiring bunch who have either underperformed over the last twelve months or are just not good enough. It is the manager's task to get a whole lot more out of them both collectively and as individuals. A fair few question marks over a few - can Carson return from injury and be as good as he was? can Grimshaw return after illness and provide the industry and utility that would enhance the squad? can Stephen Lawless find the form and inclination to remind us that his signing was a cause of some optimism? can Harry Robinson return from Aldi with everything on the list and the correct change?

The players we have brought in on loan have been a mixed bag, but I honestly cannot make a case for keeping any of them. Kelly would be a great signing, but we couldn't afford him and the only other one to make an impact , Roberts, is now out with a long term injury.

The players whose contracts are coming to an end are another mixed bag. Cole has done enough to warrant a new deal, though whether or not t will be with us is the real question. Long is a frustration in that there is obviously talent there, but it only appears when you have just about given up on him. Probably a luxury that a club at our level cannot really afford. I have some sympathy for the likes of Semele and Cornelius who have lack opportunities to show if they can make a mark, but if they haven't already broken through in our current squad, will they ever? Scott Fox has been unlucky with injury but you would think that Morrison is now ready to be our back up keeper. Charles Dunne has to prove that he has recovered enough to be a viable option in our squad. Foley is decent, but not a long term option. I can se most of them going.

My hope is that the manager is able to take what we already have and get the best out of it. A good team is greater than the sum of it's parts, and the one thing that we can probably all agree on is that, this season, this has not been the case at Fir Park. 

I think we will have to bring in some new blood. As o who and what position, a lot will depend on who remains after the new deals are offered, rejected and so on. The three things I think we need to highlight with regard to strengthening the squad are leadership, quality and character. All three have been sadly lacking this season and, without them, we are in for another year of struggle at the wrong end of the table.

Anyway, we made it through this year. Sincere best wishes to all true Motherwell fans. Here's to better times ahead, and not just on the football field. I believe we are lucky to support an amazing football club, forged in the steel of a white hot furnace, and trying to achieve against the odds. When I think about it, I thank my late father for instilling this passion and support in me and realise that, although it may be a struggle on the bad days, it is part of me forever now and I love it. 

PS A wee cup win next season would be nice.

Yup, lovely words and best regards to you and your country .

This is my opinion on next seasons team (No youngsters included as all out of contract this month)

Carson if fit/New Goalkeeper 

O’Donnell, New Defender, New Defender, McGinley

New Midfielder, Donnelly If fit/New Midfielder , O’Hara

New Attacker, Cole if he resigns/New Attacker, Watt

Reserves

Morrison, Carson/New Goalkeeper 

Lamie, Mugabie, Carroll, Grimshaw

Maguire, Crawford, Lawless

New Attacker

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alanos said:

This is my opinion on next seasons team (No youngsters included as all out of contract this month)

Reserves

New Attacker

Who we bring in will depend on what sort of system Alexander wants to play next season.  Obviously we mostly played 4-3-3 this season but we also tried a few different things out towards the end of the season so it's hard to really know what is in Alexander's mind.

In terms of dependable types we are down to O'Donnell, Watt and possibly Cole.

There are other players who can come in O'Hara, Lamie, Donnelly etc but really how we flesh the squad out is going to be dependent on how Alexander envisions our system next term. 

2 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I think the last 2 results were a result of a number of factors. Not least missing Campbell’s bite in midfield + dare I say it playing Magloire in front of Gallacher. Not something I would have done regardless the facts that he’s is off to Aberdeen.

I think the Manager made an error there. I understand why but if we were still desperate to finish 7th as he alluded too after the game. Play your strongest team !  

With everything he's said (and not said), I think it's fair to say Alexander decided his strongest team no longer included Gallagher, and that decision wasn't based on ability.

1 hour ago, alanos said:

Reserves

New Attacker

Correct. 6/7 first team starters are essential for next season. To that end, I'm not quite sure how that will fit into our overall budgeting plans?

We simply don't have good enough players in and around the team to carry boys who need to get up to speed which means bringing in at least 4/5 players already performing at our level or the level we want to be competing at. 

I assume the process has already begun...

Also saw this today. I have no idea if this is true or not. Seemed a little odd that it would be in the public domain if the fine detail wasn't tied up.

kely.jpg

40 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Why would anyone knowingly post a fake news tweet? I don't find it funny and just don't get it. 

Nor do I Dave but since we are north of 50.  I assume you are :-) 

Maybe someone a bit younger can enlighten us. I suspect it may be down to someone being a bit of a arse. 

Kelly would be a great signing. He appears willing to stay. But...

1. Did they not pay a transfer fee for him ?

2. He has another year or two in his contract at wages that are likely to be in excess of what we can afford here.

3. I just saw a clip of Stephen Thompson suggesting his for the Scotland Euro squad. FWIW I agree over McNaughton who has played very few if any competitive games for Rangers ! My point being we may not be the only interested party. 

So it may happen, but a few things would need to align very favourably.....

• Like 1

• David locked this topic