2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

I’m a bit puzzled by this signing. 
Firstly, we acknowledged that we were keeping playing budgets at the same level whilst Alexander also said that he’s planning to only bring in half of the amount of bodies which we let go. Those two things hand in hand suggests that our average salary will Increase and that we’re investing or planning to invest in starters. With the best will in the world to Maidstone, I cannot imagine that this will be anything like a top earner at Motherwell and therefore it begs the question of where the money is being spent or will be spent, if this is the route we are going down?

Could be worse. Aberdeen have just signed Atlanta's 4th choice right back, who had his contract waived after one 45 min appearance for them. 

5 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Could be worse. Aberdeen have just signed Atlanta's 4th choice right back, who had his contract waived after one 45 min appearance for them. 

True. I’m just wondering that now we’ve got a full complement on the bench that we might start to sign players to compete in the top 6.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Vardy had scored +70 goals in his previous 2 seasons.   Had as signed anyone with this type of record I'd be jumping for joy.

Exactly, there is absolutely no point in comparing the two signings. Vardy was a proven goalscorer, albeit in the conference league and scored 34 goals in 42 appearances for Fleetwood when Leicester signed him.

We appear to have signed another - ANOTHER - forward/winger who can no doubt “play anywhere across the front three” and doesn’t boast a good track record of goal scoring. That’s what we’ve been crying out for for nearly four years now(a goalscorer that is).

While I fully accept that going out and signing such a player is easier said than done, especially on our budget, what I cannot understand is why we seem to keep signing the same type of player when it’s patently obvious that that’s not what we need and it hasn’t exactly worked out for us in recent times with the several similar type of players that we’ve brought in. Hylton, Seedorf, Aarons spring to mind. 

Considering we’re forever being reminded how meagre our budget is then it’s highly important that we use it wisely.

I hope this isn’t the quality of player for future signings?

I know it’s a bit of a lottery for taking players in the non leagues of England, but surely we could get similar type players in the lower Scottish leagues?

I take it that Jordan Roberts will not be available on loan this season?

A non league player on a one year deal likely to be on buttons to see if he can make the step up is hardly worth the amount of soaked knickers in the past few pages of this thread.

It's not like we're building the team around him or that's the end of our summer signings for fuck sake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Dougie was approaching 22 and yes plucked from Pollock and proved to be incredible.  Some frogs turn to princes - not many though.

I hope this lad proves to be a great player.  

After about four seasons of reserve football.....

25 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

or it might come true and we'll sign players to compete in the top six?

That’s as maybe. I was focusing more on that we have a full compliment of squad fillers. Suppose time will tell…

I’m not seeing a marquee signing just yet.

Got to be honest, I don’t think Justin Amaluzor would even get close to our radar in a non covid world. However, he’s definitely got ability.

Im a youth coach at Maidstone Utd and the club have been hit really hard by the inability to receive gate receipts. League fixtures were cancelled and the whole first team squad were put on furlough.

Justin was one of the higher earners at the club (on more than you’d think) and he along with all other first team players has had a very long time to carpet bag his wares around the football circuit.

There are so many other players at that level in the same boat, he’ll not only be relieved to just be working in football next season, but super hungry to make a go of a big move like this.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/sport/amp/stones-furlough-entire-first-team-squad-242444/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

That’s as maybe. I was focusing more on that we have a full compliment of squad fillers. Suppose time will tell…

I’m not seeing a marquee signing just yet.

To be honest, I don’t even need a marquee signing, though it would be nice. I would just like to see us sign 6/7 players that have proven ability at our level/an equivalent of ... the standard of the league might not be world class but I’ll almost guarantee that it’s a far cry better than the national league south. We’ve all seen that it’s hit and miss signing players from far down the English pyramid system, some come good, some remain abjectly shite, what most of them do have in common however is that it takes them a significant amount of time to adjust to the step up, If they ever do. In a smaller squad, we won’t have the ability to rotate those players out/ rest when needed

40 minutes ago, Kmac said:

To be honest, I don’t even need a marquee signing, though it would be nice. I would just like to see us sign 6/7 players that have proven ability at our level/an equivalent of ... the standard of the league might not be world class but I’ll almost guarantee that it’s a far cry better than the national league south. We’ve all seen that it’s hit and miss signing players from far down the English pyramid system, some come good, some remain abjectly shite, what most of them do have in common however is that it takes them a significant amount of time to adjust to the step up, If they ever do. In a smaller squad, we won’t have the ability to rotate those players out/ rest when needed

No disagreement here.

8 minutes ago, Kmac said:

the standard of the league might not be world class but I’ll almost guarantee that it’s a far cry better than the national league south.

Yes, in the main, it is.

However, many seem less concerned by us signing a player from the youth academy of a championship club whilst the national league south is a far cry more competitive and often a better standard than academy football.

Amaluzor has accrued a high number of competitive matches at a highly competitive and pressured level. Getting into the national league is not easy and is more costly than people think.

National league North and South have therefore been recognised as a breeding ground for lower league talent for some time. An example of this is former Maidstone player and now Wimbledon captain Joe Piggott. He has consistently been banging them in at league 1 for a few years.

GA will no doubt raided the north league before.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kmac said:

I’m trying to think how many well know players with a good record at our level we have actually signed in my 5 years supporting the club, it’s not actually that many.  Why would any proven player at St Johnstone, Dundee. United, Dundee, Ross County, St Mirren want to move to us unless we were paying a substantially increased wage ? We’ve had one marquee signing who was crocked. A lot of the blame used to be put on Robinsons shoulders but it’s becoming increasingly obvious that regardless of the manager we will be going down the same signing route given the playing budget. Decent championship level players, the odd Premiership player slightly out of favour, and lower league players from down south. At this point there is nothing to suggest anything is changing.

3 hours ago, supermarv said:

Currently on trial we have 2 strikers (not out and out goalscorers), Malta midfield internationalist, Keeper and a younster from Leicester.  

You realise you have increased the number of Google searches into the Maltese national squad from the ML1 area exponentially? I haven't looked but I'm sure some will. 

The signing of Amaluzor has caused a bit of consternation on here. That's the market we're shopping in. The talk of a smaller squad with higher average salaries is naive, given the injuries we had last season. Am I enthused by the signing of a winger from National League South? Not particularly but I'm not sure he'll be a nailed on starter, possibly a plan B? Perhaps the reason I'm not as vexed as some on here is that he's already been training with us. We've not simply judged him on his performances at that level but had a look at him in the context of our squad. 

Which kind of brings me to you pointing out we have a few trialists in at the moment. Trialists can often be seen as a negative but going forward, it may be something we rely upon more heavily. If you accept that pretty much every signing we make is going to be a gamble to some degree, a way to improve your odds is to see them in training up against the players you already have and also how they interact with the rest of the squad. 

We might need to get used to a large proportion of our future signings being trialists...

19 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

You realise you have increased the number of Google searches into the Maltese national squad from the ML1 area exponentially? I haven't looked but I'm sure some will. 

The signing of Amaluzor has caused a bit of consternation on here. That's the market we're shopping in. The talk of a smaller squad with higher average salaries is naive, given the injuries we had last season. Am I enthused by the signing of a winger from National League South? Not particularly but I'm not sure he'll be a nailed on starter, possibly a plan B? Perhaps the reason I'm not as vexed as some on here is that he's already been training with us. We've not simply judged him on his performances at that level but had a look at him in the context of our squad. 

Which kind of brings me to you pointing out we have a few trialists in at the moment. Trialists can often be seen as a negative but going forward, it may be something we rely upon more heavily. If you accept that pretty much every signing we make is going to be a gamble to some degree, a way to improve your odds is to see them in training up against the players you already have and also how they interact with the rest of the squad. 

We might need to get used to a large proportion of our future signings being trialists...

Was Kipre not a trialist ?

22 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Joe muscatt is his name was previously at Paderborn in Germany, came through at Tottenham then moved on to Bolton.

25 minutes ago, Heisenboab said:

He was. Seem to remember him and another trialist (Dembele?) got 45mins each in a friendly with Stirling. Think most preferred the other guy on the day haha

That’s right I remember the game, a striker on trial scored a cracker. Don’t remember Kipre really standing out.

• David locked this topic