Jump to content

Neilwell86

2021/2022 Rebuild

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I think Campbell could comfortably hold down a place in an English Championship side. He would benefit from playing in what would undoubtedly be a better side than he currently plays in.

Obviously from a purely selfish point of view I’d want him to stay here but realistically for the sake of his career and further development he probably needs to move on now.

As with others I have nothing other than full respect for Campbell.

And yes, with better players around him he will get even better.

Sadly however his major weakness holding him back from going higher in the game is something he can do little about------ lack of pace.

Unless you are a player with outstanding skills in other aspects of the game such as Faddy, Gary Mc Allister, Tommy Coyne ( neither of whom were Usan Bolt) lack of pace is a real hinderence.

Wish Allan all the best regardless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Campbell deserves a move albeit Im not sold he'll cut it in the Championship,

Similar to Stevie Hammel in his earlier days in as much he deserves a crack at a bigger team , broaden his experience and hopefully return back to us in a few years time to see out his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Campbell's a strange one. He obviously lacks pace - and some EPL and Championship managers prefer pace over all other attributes. On the other hand, it's rare I've watched him and thought "he needed to be quicker there".  So he's obviously figured out how to work around that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not think there's an element of it you put him in a squad of higher quality players he will flourish in the same way Andy Robertson does in Red but not in Dark Blue?

Bit sad to see some writing him off after being one of our stand out performers over the past 3 seasons. Granted few have covered themselves in glory this season but the only one's on that list are probably only Kelly, Watt, Roberts and at times Cole (2 of which are on loan and one who's contract ends).

He's got dedication, drive and a work ethic that if a few others in the team had we'd no be in the mire we've been in this year.

He does the unglamorous job in the middle, often not given credit when he's there but massively missed when he's not. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way Allan Campbell, or anyone else, will really know how far he can go, is by moving onwards and upwards now. He's nothing more to prove here and since you can hardly get a fag paper between most of the SPL, it should be England. Decent Championship side would be a great start, there's no way he's Premiership standard yet. I'd love to see him make it in time.

Whatever his true level turns out to be, managers will always love his attitude, so he should hopefully have a good career in front of him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, livivoice said:

As with others I have nothing other than full respect for Campbell.

And yes, with better players around him he will get even better.

Sadly however his major weakness holding him back from going higher in the game is something he can do little about------ lack of pace.

Unless you are a player with outstanding skills in other aspects of the game such as Faddy, Gary Mc Allister, Tommy Coyne ( neither of whom were Usan Bolt) lack of pace is a real hinderence.

Wish Allan all the best regardless.

He won’t ever play at the ‘top level’ and he’s clearly not of the same quality as Turnbull (meaning no disrespect to him) but he’s more than proved himself as a solid midfield player who, in the right team with the right players around him, would do very well.

I just don’t think that the ‘right’ team for Allan Campbell just now is us, or any Scottish Premiership side for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Whilst thats true, its also true that he'll be up against a far higher calibre of opponent too. A Championship club will also have far higher standards off the field than he's used to here. 

Yes I agree with that, but that’s really my point on him moving on from us for the sake of his career and development now. If he seriously wants to challenge and improve himself further then I think it’s now time for him to test himself at a higher level.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth I heard from Jason Naismith’s dad that Motherwell have made inquiries about him. He is out of contract with Ross County at the end of the season.  Jason is apparently good mates with Mark O’Hara. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He apparently is very versatile and can play in other positions. 

Anywhere across the front three?????


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one if those Google suggested news articles come up from the Edinburgh Press talking about "former Hibs target Alan Campbell".

Not a further mention of hibs, just an interview snippet from Lucetti talking about Alan Campbell having all the attributes to play in the EPL. Was basically a press release for Alan Campbell. Bit weird that were doing this sort of sales pitch for a player that's going to be out of contract and our cash will be via the solidarity payment rather than an in contract sale. Suppose it makes sense for our "we will do right by you" pitch that we make to players and costs us nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes sense as we need striking options for next year, fits out usual profile of a player that was well thought of at a big club then has fell away to a lower level. Certainly banging in the goals just now.

Though we would have to pay the training/development compensation so thats not something we would usually do. Would that be lower since everton released him at 19/20 then he spent two years at Linfield so they would only be due the two years of training compensation rather than the full from 16 that we would be due for Campbell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

I had one if those Google suggested news articles come up from the Edinburgh Press talking about "former Hibs target Alan Campbell".

Not a further mention of hibs, just an interview snippet from Lucetti talking about Alan Campbell having all the attributes to play in the EPL. Was basically a press release for Alan Campbell. Bit weird that were doing this sort of sales pitch for a player that's going to be out of contract and our cash will be via the solidarity payment rather than an in contract sale. Suppose it makes sense for our "we will do right by you" pitch that we make to players and costs us nothing.

I don't think it is weird at all to be punting Alan Campbell. His transfer fee will be decided by training compensation this time.  That sum will probably be more than we would get in a straight transfer  if he resigned and we sold him at the end of next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what to expect this summer in terms of a rebuild; certainly it'll be a big test for GA. I'm not expecting hordes of new arrivals as we need to trim the squad. Some of the bad influences will move on, and that'll help. However, I do hope we increase quality, if only slightly.  The Coronavirus situation is now improving too, and that may make it slightly easier to tempt players from England or elsewhere.

The status of players like Crawford and Mugabi will be a litmus paper as to where we're at. Will they be squad players or nailed on starters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

BBC gossip page allegedly has us interested in Linfield striker, Shayne Lavery

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56842582

Lavery is a good, tenacious player. Dynamite in and around the box and with a fair bit of pace to boot. Similar to an Arnott, McDonald, Ojamaa. He's been hlped massively this year by Joel Cooper, back on loan at Linfield from Oxford, who I've watched for a good few years now over here. Both maybe need to bulk up a bit for the Scottish game, but I'd be happy with either. Another to keep an eye on in the NIFL Premiership is Fuad Sule of Larne - an absolute unit of a midfield spoiler. Strong and with a low centre of gravity, he rarely loses possession and if he does, he snaps right back to get it. Would be a great replacement for Campbell's doggedness, but maybe more defensively minded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Seemingly Nigel Clough at game last night, meant to be looking at Cole and Long....

Oh well, got him out the house at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

Lavery is a good, tenacious player. Dynamite in and around the box and with a fair bit of pace to boot. Similar to an Arnott, McDonald, Ojamaa. He's been hlped massively this year by Joel Cooper, back on loan at Linfield from Oxford, who I've watched for a good few years now over here. Both maybe need to bulk up a bit for the Scottish game, but I'd be happy with either. Another to keep an eye on in the NIFL Premiership is Fuad Sule of Larne - an absolute unit of a midfield spoiler. Strong and with a low centre of gravity, he rarely loses possession and if he does, he snaps right back to get it. Would be a great replacement for Campbell's doggedness, but maybe more defensively minded.

Larne you say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KirkySuperSub said:

A budget N'Golo Kante must be worth a look...?!

Polworth has turned into a bit of a Kante recently...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×