2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

35 minutes ago, Kmac said:

So we’ve taken what is effectively a punt on another unknown young prospect with a lack of game time. We desperately need leaders and experience 

Genuinely interested to see who you’d bring in as leaders and with experience?

Not Happening now obviously but a player like Taylor is exactly what we needed when it was mentioned previously. Senior with experience of the league. It takes time for players to get up to speed to the Scottish game, which is fine, as long as it isn’t the players we’re relying on week in week out to get us points. 

Really happy with the addition of Slattery, a highly rated youngster who was on the cusp of breaking into the Saints first team and enjoyed a small run  in the first team in early 2019, he also has some experience in the Dutch league and English League One. Just doing some quick research the current Saints manager was recently raving about him and saying he was perhaps the pick of the bunch of youngsters to look out for.  Sounds like we have been trying to sign him for months, hopefully the addition proves to be worth the wait.

8 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Not Happening now obviously but a player like Taylor is exactly what we needed when it was mentioned previously. Senior with experience of the league. It takes time for players to get up to speed to the Scottish game, which is fine, as long as it isn’t the players we’re relying on week in week out to get us points. 

Granted, better than both Mugabi and Lamie who was signed as having experience of the league, but, was Taylor ever an option apart from wishful thinking of some on social media platforms?

I’d like your opinion on similar thought for our midfield? 

1 minute ago, Kat said:

Really happy with the addition of Slattery, a highly rated youngster who was on the cusp of breaking into the Saints first team and enjoyed a small run  in the first team in early 2019, he also has some experience in the Dutch league and English League One. Just doing some quick research the current Saints manager was recently raving about him and saying he was perhaps the pick of the bunch of youngsters to look out for.  Sounds like we have been trying to sign him for months, hopefully the addition proves to be worth the wait.

Sounds a promising signing 3 year deals for some players seems to be our new policy, which for me is a good move to get rid of the annual clear out we seem to have had in recent seasons.

Do we know if Slattery available to play today ?

26 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Granted, better than both Mugabi and Lamie who was signed as having experience of the league, but, was Taylor ever an option apart from wishful thinking of some on social media platforms?

I’d like your opinion on similar thought for our midfield? 

I’ve always been a fan of Odoffin who has performed very well in the league in an otherwise crap accies side. 
Ali Crawford is another I’d realistically like to see at fir park 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kmac said:

I’ve always been a fan of Odoffin who has performed very well in the league in an otherwise crap accies side. 
Ali Crawford is another I’d realistically like to see at fir park 

I’m actually with you on Odoffin - his statistics last season were amongst the best in all European  football. Wouldn’t be the creative type we’d be looking for.

Ali Crawford? He’s Mark O’Hara in drag

On paper at least, Slattery would appear to be a "brilliant addition" and the kind of signing I would be looking for.  Lets hope he can hit the ground running and realise his potential. A couple good seasons out of him and move him on for a few million will do just nicely!

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

So we’ve taken what is effectively a punt on another unknown young prospect with a lack of game time. We desperately need leaders and experience 

Unknown to you doesn't mean the people inside the game don't know him. Come to that, the Southampton fans know him too.

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

By definition experienced players and leaders will be playing at a good level, well established and regular starters for their teams so tend not to be either released by their clubs or made available for transfer, and if they were we could not afford them anyway. 

The only way an " unknown young prospect" as you put it gets experience is by clubs like us giving them a chance , we've done it for years not everyone was a success but that's the way it goes.

Out of interest who would you have us go for with the 

1. The qualities you want

2. Is available and wants to come to Fir Park

3. We can afford them transfer and wage wise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

more excited by this than signing Taylor..  had to think for a while who you were referring to..ash?

a journeyman , for sure , this boy has good pedigree,  so get behind him.

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

I’m actually with you on Odoffin - his statistics last season were amongst the best in all European  football. Wouldn’t be the creative type we’d be looking for.

Ali Crawford? He’s Mark O’Hara in drag

I'd have said Tshibola despite him not having a great second half of last season, and after looking up seeing that he's went to a Turkish side. 

What would people’s opinions be on looking at Lewis Macleod, ex rangers, Brentford, wigan and Plymouth ? Currently without a club and a Lanarkshire lad.

He’s unfortunately injury prone, but there is a cracking player there if he could stay fit….. even on a month to month if that worked for both parties 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wellfan90 said:

What would people’s opinions be on looking at Lewis Macleod, ex rangers, Brentford, wigan and Plymouth ? Currently without a club and a Lanarkshire lad.

He’s unfortunately injury prone, but there is a cracking player there if he could stay fit….. even on a month to month if that worked for both parties 

He's clearly a player that has something about him. Unfortunately he's made of glass.

He'd be a huge gamble, and plenty of teams (well Wigan and Plymouth) have ignored his injury record and  brought him in so the worry is any short term deal to prove his fitness would either be a waste as he wasn't fit or result in him being picked up by a bigger club as soon as he's shown he can play 10 games without his knee or hamstring exploding 

• David locked this topic