2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

22 minutes ago, Ballso said:

Can you give clear examples of what optics and poor decision making AB has been guilty of? Not a criticism of you, just a question. 

I listed last week on another topic however yesterday was another example. 
Supporters asking a question of signings and that being ‘announced’ on Burrows personal Twitter page, in my opinion, isn’t acceptable. 
If people post on the clubs page and the club as a society funded entity finds it appropriate to respond then they absolutely should do so - however it’s the clubs news to share. 

17 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Welcome to "the greatest wee pure dead brilliant club in the world", Sean.

It's the McConnell-Prestwick effect.

I'm quite old: was he in Bros?

He was the 3rd one that played the guitar! :P

3 hours ago, Kmac said:

I think there is some considerable misunderstanding of my criticism. I have absolutely no problems with Burrows as a person, I’ve never met him (as I said) however the guy clearly comes across as a supporter and someone with the club at heart. Those things are commendable and great but those are not essential attributes of a CEO. My criticism is based on his inability to abstract, which I believe is making for often poor optics and decision making - purely from the perspective of management. Alan Burrows and Motherwell football club are not one and the same - perhaps from his perspective (again not a criticism) but it should not be the perspective of the club.
Read / listen to any CEO of a major Corp, ngo, charity or other… a CEO is the personification of the company, the company isn’t a personification of the CEO, unless is it a founder/owner. 
The values must remain distinct. Hopefully, they largely align, otherwise it’s the wrong CEO, however there must be separation in order to incorporate other objectives and ways of doing/thinking. 

Reading between the lines here obviously but you seem to be suggesting that AB is either moulding the club in his image or seems to the think of the club as his personal fiefdom. That's what I'm taking from your "inability to abstract" which sounds like horrendous management speak to me. 

Is that what you're suggesting? 

15 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

My Killie supporting mate still rips me that we signed him for that much money

We played Kilmarnock and my mate says to me "that guy in midfield is the worst professional football player I've ever seen". Two hours later it was announced we'd signed him in a club record deal. Yes that man was Sean Mcskimming.

5 minutes ago, JSR said:

We played Kilmarnock and my mate says to me "that guy in midfield is the worst professional football player I've ever seen". Two hours later it was announced we'd signed him in a club record deal. Yes that man was Sean Mcskimming.

Funny how we all see things differently.

I always thought he was pretty impressive in a dire Killie team of the time.........................then of course he signed for us 

35 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Reading between the lines here obviously but you seem to be suggesting that AB is either moulding the club in his image or seems to the think of the club as his personal fiefdom. That's what I'm taking from your "inability to abstract" which sounds like horrendous management speak to me. 

Is that what you're suggesting? 

I’m not privy to every decision however there is certainly a danger if the former - as per my topic from last week

16 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

That Norwegian centre half is a done deal according to BBC, quotes from his current manager too. 

Swedish playing in Norway

Right now this looks like our first 11. I'll put Ojala and Johansen as starters because I doubt we are planning on paying them to sit on the bench. 

Kelly 

SoD Ojala Johansen Carroll 

Slattery O'Hara Goss 

Woolery KVV Watt 

It has definite potential if they click. 

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Right now this looks like our first 11. I'll put Ojala and Johansen as starters because I doubt we are planning on paying them to sit on the bench. 

Kelly 

Slattery O'Hara Goss 

Woolery KVV Watt 

The recent signings give us way more flexibility to change the system. 3-5-2, 4-4-2 could easily be an option.   Given we don't have decent wingers we could make more use of our wingbacks wh are both decent going forward. 

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

Supporters asking a question of signings and that being ‘announced’ on Burrows personal Twitter page, in my opinion, isn’t acceptable. 

I think that’s what most people like and both the club and AB gets praised for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

The recent signings give us way more flexibility to change the system. 3-5-2, 4-4-2 could easily be an option.   Given we don't have decent wingers we could make more use of our wingbacks wh are both decent going forward. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Kelly 

Slattery O'Hara Goss 

Woolery KVV Watt 

Watt playing just behind the front 2 of Woolery and Van Veen with freedom to roam where he wants?   Or is it a narrow front 3 to leave space for the wing backs to attack ? 

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

That team definitely looks good though.....my opinion only...left back needs to be looked at, Carroll not strong enough defensively 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Watt playing just behind the front 2 of Woolery and Van Veen with freedom to roam where he wants?   Or is it a narrow front 3 to leave space for the wing backs to attack ? 

I thought against Hibs Van Veen dropping deep combined with Woolery's pace to get in behind caused their defensive line a lot of problems. Watt was quiet that day but has found his form so I think the three of them together will cause teams problems with their movement. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Yes I accept that and that’s fair enough. 

I was just meaning that with Burrows you know that he’s got the club’s best interests at heart as opposed to say, a Vladimir Romanov type at Hearts, albeit I know he’s probably quite an extreme example.

There's no place for sentiment in business, I know we are a small club, but still one of the top clubs in the country, at times sentiment has cost us in the past.

7 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

There's no place for sentiment in business, I know we are a small club, but still one of the top clubs in the country, at times sentiment has cost us in the past.

It definitely has, I certainly wouldn’t argue with that. 

I was sceptical when Burrows replaced Dempster but I feel that he’s grown into the role and has been good for us overall. He hasn’t got everything right, granted, but I feel like he is doing a good job.

• Like 2

• David locked this topic