2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

Perhaps a little early to be looking at it, but I wonder what will happen with Jordan Roberts? He's on loan with us until January 3rd, but his Hearts deal is up on May 31st.

Would we maybe look to pay a small fee to secure his services permanently? We can sign him on a pre-contract in January anyway, can't we? Maybe an option, especially considering Tony Watt may not be staying? 

58 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

My thoughts were that we had used the wage freed up from Lawless but I’d thing others will be away in January if we/they can find teams to take them. 

We'll more than likely be offloading Mich'el Parker who's contract is up on January 3rd. He's done nothing since arriving.

1 hour ago, David said:

We'll more than likely be offloading Mich'el Parker who's contract is up on January 3rd. He's done nothing since arriving.

I got the impression Parker was signed more as a rehabilitation exercise for him with a chance to restart his career after a though time, not sure if he was ever in GA's plans as a 1st pick, but that said would not be surprised if he did move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David said:

Perhaps a little early to be looking at it, but I wonder what will happen with Jordan Roberts? He's on loan with us until January 3rd, but his Hearts deal is up on May 31st.

Would we maybe look to pay a small fee to secure his services permanently? We can sign him on a pre-contract in January anyway, can't we? Maybe an option, especially considering Tony Watt may not be staying? 

A lot will depend on what he does on the park in the next few months. To that extent the ball is in his court. For me, the jury is still out.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, David said:

18 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

A lot will depend on what he does on the park in the next few months. To that extent the ball is in his court. For me, the jury is still out.

18 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

It’s hard to tell what will happen with Roberts to be honest. I certainly can’t see us paying any sort of fee for him, especially with his Hearts contract up at the end of May.

17 hours ago, GawnUpBy? said:

Has Roberts done enough to even merit us talking about taking him permanently? I was happy to see him back on loan to see what more he had to offer but I think a few have jumped the gun a bit with him after his short spell last year. 

I am pretty sure the rumours are Roberts is on a small fortune at Hearts. I doubt we'd be looking to match anything like that.

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am pretty sure the rumours are Roberts is on a small fortune at Hearts. I doubt we'd be looking to match anything like that.

He'll be on nothing come May when his contract is up, though. At that point we can maybe make him an offer and see what he says. If he's offered mental money elsewhere then fine.

2 hours ago, David said:

He'll be on nothing come May when his contract is up, though. At that point we can maybe make him an offer and see what he says. If he's offered mental money elsewhere then fine.

I’m surprised that there’s interest from the fans to keep him .

I see him more of the problem than the solution - doesn’t offer that much, nothing wrong per say but like many of the journeyman who come through our books.

id rather we got shot of the squad players we have and only bring in players who’re better than out first 11.

53 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I’m surprised that there’s interest from the fans to keep him .

I see him more of the problem than the solution - doesn’t offer that much, nothing wrong per say but like many of the journeyman who come through our books.

id rather we got shot of the squad players we have and only bring in players who’re better than out first 11.

The thing is, if we only opt to sign any striker who is better than Van Veen or Watt we could easily end up with no backup strikers. Roberts, to me, is a backup. As such I'd offer him the kind of money that reflects that.

Football is a squad game, and although we don't need a huge squad, we do need a squad.

16 minutes ago, David said:

The thing is, if we only opt to sign any striker who is better than Van Veen or Watt we could easily end up with no backup strikers. Roberts, to me, is a backup. As such I'd offer him the kind of money that reflects that.

Football is a squad game, and although we don't need a huge squad, we do need a squad.

I hear you , we do need a squad but I’d rather find a way for youngsters to be pushing through or have 1 or 2 decent back ups who could and should challenge both watt and kvv

We have too many clear back ups , who won’t be first team regulars .Roberts , Justin , Connor shields and if we played a different formation Woolley could be a back up. 

a smaller squad where we pay a little higher salary would be ideal - supplemented by decent youngsters coming through 

On 10/27/2021 at 5:35 PM, wellsince75 said:

We have too many clear back ups , who won’t be first team regulars .Roberts , Justin , Connor shields and if we played a different formation Woolley could be a back up. 

a smaller squad where we pay a little higher salary would be ideal - supplemented by decent youngsters coming through 

I’m sure Shields (24) was signed on a 3 year deal with the view of him progressing to being one of our main strikers and yet, within 3 months of him being here and little game time you’ve written him off?

we often hear players/ex-players  talking about how it can take 6 months for players to settle at a new club so let’s give him - and others - the 6 months before we write them off?

That said, I would also add that there’s a few players I’ve seen and thought straight off that they wouldn’t cut it and probably 80% of the time that has been the case but the others have settled and proved my initial thoughts wrong. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

I’m sure Shields (24) was signed on a 3 year deal with the view of him progressing to being one of our main strikers and yet, within 3 months of him being here and little game time you’ve written him off?

we often hear players/ex-players  talking about how it can take 6 months for players to settle at a new club so let’s give him - and others - the 6 months before we write them off?

That said, I would also add that there’s a few players I’ve seen and thought straight off that they wouldn’t cut it and probably 80% of the time that has been the case but the others have settled and proved my initial thoughts wrong. 

Thought Shields did ok …… He is not an out and our centre and looked better when deployed on right hand side, think this was the position he played for QOS 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, middleeastdave said:

I see we have been linked with Ross Tierney of Bohemians to sign in January window, in fact it’s been mentioned on a 3 year deal, which is surprising as I have never heard of him and to be linked with him in middle of October for January window which suspect his agent has leaked to get more clubs interested, has anyone heard of the midfielder is any good?

He’s very good. Very hard working and technically good. Usually plays just behind the centre forward and takes up those good positions to link midfield and attack. Has been brilliant for us this season for someone who’s so young and will join you after our cup final which is Sun 28th. Gutted to see him leave but can’t begrudge him wanting to move on a level. He was brilliant for us in the Europa Conf League this season and here hoping he can go out on a high in our cup final. All the Bohs supporters are sad to see him go but wish him the very best. I think you have a gem on your hands there lads.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

See the Record are linking us to Mark Doyle from Drogheda United in January?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-strongly-considering-contract-offer-25546640

23 year old left winger that can also play anywhere across the front three....

Morecambe must be interested as well then

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• David locked this topic