Morton Scottish Cup Tie

Kmcalpin

6 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Still think our biggest problem is our formation 4-3-3 just does not work for the players that we have.

It's never looked right. When we get away with it, it's just that - getting away with it. I understand why Alexander won't publicly tear them a new one, the squad he inherited, the difficulty of findng decent players in January, the endless injuries etc etc, but I'd expect a manager to come up with something different when there's a glaring problem game after game. The only hope is he's just trying to get to the summer safely, but I'm not entirely convinced.

5 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

It's never looked right. When we get away with it, it's just that - getting away with it. I understand why Alexander won't publicly tear them a new one, the squad he inherited, the difficulty of findng decent players in January, the endless injuries etc etc, but I'd expect a manager to come up with something different when there's a glaring problem game after game. The only hope is he's just trying to get to the summer safely, but I'm not entirely convinced.

completely agree with these posts.

4-3-3- doesn't work.

Would be easy to change to a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 and get the most from players like S'OD, Long etc. 

We can all see it ,  the pundits on TV call it out but GA does nothing to change it week to week or in the game.  

28 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Last night was a classic example Cole and Long have pace to burn but our midfield couldn’t pass water and as for our defenders  … we’re back to them hitting 40 yard cross field balls to the man in the moon.

We have had an issue with midfield for years and successive managers have failed to address it, a 4-3-3 formation will work but you need  midfielders who can win the ball, hold up the play and offer an extra attacking threat going forward, oh to have Turnbull back.

For me brining in 1 or 2 good midfield  players is the main issue that needs to be addressed in the summer .

• Like 1

I agree with others that 4-3-3 formation doesn't suit us, with the players we currently have. In the short term, if we persist with this style, then Hastie must come back in, until the end of the season, or until Watt or Roberts return, however unlikely that is.   The midfield lacks creativity and pace, as Morton knewfull well last night. I understand why we resorted to the long ball last night but that doesn't make it right. A catch 22 situation. Our defenders were launching long balls because the midfield were incapable of creating anything on the deck. We don't have the players to play the long ball though and Lawless is no target man.  For a long spell early on last night we were effectively playing with 8 men as the front 3 were seeing so little of the ball.

I'd stick with the 4-3-3 just now as we have been getting goals from the link up play between Cole, Watt, Roberts and Long. Our midfield options are horrible and playing as few of them as possible is the best option.

Other than the Accies and St Johnstone meltdowns we have had a goal threat in every league game since GA took over. Fixing the middle of the park will have to wait until the summer.

21 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'd stick with the 4-3-3 just now as we have been getting goals from the link up play between Cole, Watt, Roberts and Long. Our midfield options are horrible and playing as few of them as possible is the best option.

Other than the Accies and St Johnstone meltdowns we have had a goal threat in every league game since GA took over. Fixing the middle of the park will have to wait until the summer.

Yeah, there's no quick fix. But with Watt and Roberts out, there goes the link up play. Lawless has been completely ineffectual in 2 games, so I suppose we're banking on Hastie now. He did have more about him last night, right enough.

We've more players on our books than some mall countries have to pick from, and we can't play any formation other than 4-3-3? I'm not seeing much from Alexander that your average fan couldn't provide. Same team, go out and try hard. If only we had an answer to what the plans are for Mugabi and Crawford next season. Though we probably wouldn't like it.

16 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Hey it is what it is regardless of the outcome, Prostate Cancer is not the worst one to get so fingers crossed and just getting on with life, the footy is one of the good distractions mate.

Just like to wish you all the best in your personal battle Yorky . On a lighter note if your looking for distraction then you couldn't have picked a better team follow  

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Just like to wish you all the best in your personal battle Yorky . On a lighter note if your looking for distraction then you couldn't have picked a better team follow  

Very true, we’ve had our moments but much appreciate the support as I do everyone else that has commented, but that’s Motherwell in a nutshell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

I agree re the summer rebuild but we have max of 7 games left this season if we get to the cup final, but in reality probably only 5, so we need to find a balance to get a midfield line up that works and give us a decent end to the season.

If GA is sticking with his preferred 433 I would have Campbell, McGuire and Hastie in there , and see how that pans out.