The ‘70’s Motherwell FC

SteelmaninOZ

I have watched that one a few times and it brings back many happy memories.

As the greedmongers and money men who now think they can control the game play their high stakes game of chicken, it is nice to be reminded of simpler times and to remember the old adage,  " things change, but not necessarily for the better".

11 hours ago, The African said:

I have watched that one a few times and it brings back many happy memories.

As the greedmongers and money men who now think they can control the game play their high stakes game of chicken, it is nice to be reminded of simpler times and to remember the old adage,  " things change, but not necessarily for the better".

Simpler times.... dangerous unsafe grounds, no concept of customer service, non existent or appalling facilities, people bringing in carry outs aka weapons when empty, paying money to stand in the pushing rain for 90 mins, 

In this case things needed to change and they were very much for the better, all this "Football was better in the good old days" chat is nonsense.

11 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Simpler times.... dangerous unsafe grounds, no concept of customer service, non existent or appalling facilities, people bringing in carry outs aka weapons when empty, paying money to stand in the pushing rain for 90 mins, 

In this case things needed to change and they were very much for the better, all this "Football was better in the good old days" chat is nonsense.

Aye, rose tinted specs. I wouldn't want to - couldn't - take our wee girl to a game if things hadn't changed. But they are some of my happiest, clearest memories, and I'm glad I've got them.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Well yes, if you want to pick and choose your criteria, there was certainly plenty to moan about back then and some change was necessary. Grounds are safer, marginally nicer, quieter and more expensive places to be. The pitches were obviously much worse and, I'd argue, the players were better, but less well remunerated. On a broader level, it is probably unfair to compare ifferent footballing periods without an understanding of the societal changes that have occurred, otherwise the lack of context makes any such comparison both pointless and meaningless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The African said:

Well yes, if you want to pick and choose your criteria, there was certainly plenty to moan about back then and some change was necessary. Grounds are safer, marginally nicer, quieter and more expensive places to be. The pitches were obviously much worse and, I'd argue, the players were better, but less well remunerated. On a broader level, it is probably unfair to compare ifferent footballing periods without an understanding of the societal changes that have occurred, otherwise the lack of context makes any such comparison both pointless and meaningless.

You can have a direct comparison on things like stadiums, facilities , pitches etc and they are all better in every respect.

As for the players its a bit more difficult, today's players are faster, fitter, better prepared and coached  than the 70's players, they train harder etc so in that respect they are better.  However you can't compare like for like re individual ability as the game has changed so much since then, we all like to think that when we saw the like of Wark, Pettigrew etc play for Motherwell they were great, and at the time they were but they can't be compared with today's players as the game has changed so much.

So having started watching Motherwell in the late 60's early 70's I would have to say sometimes going to Fir Park or an away ground was a pretty miserable experience , in terms of facilities and the football on offer. Today's match day experience is light years away from that, we still get a good amount of miserable afternoons football wise, but at least we are comfier watching it.

• Like 1

Brilliant memories. Started going to 'Well games in '72 I think (despite living in Glasgow, my old man was a Wishaw boy). Started going regularly in '73/'74 and first Season Ticket in '75 (it wasn't a ticket book then, it was a wee folded card) and that started 30 yrs of home and away games pretty much every week. Don't get often now because of where I live, but I've inflicted the same life of misery on my son now as well :-) Wonder if he'll look back on the Mcghee/Brown/Barraclough years in the same way I look back on the Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Wark and McLaren era :dontknow:

The fact footage of Motherwell from that era is very limited in comparison to today, where every miskick is available from every imaginable angle, certainly helps the legends. Further back you go, better they get. Listen to my dad and you'd think the Ancell babes were the Man City of their day. 

Playing on coo parks isn't something anyone misses, but tonight we're playing 'see who can get the ball to bounce the highest', so swings and roundabouts in that respect.

There is a fairly fine line between "better" and "different". Facilities are safer and that has to be a good thing. Crowds have gone down though, as the price/cost of football has increased, to at least partly pay for these changes The changes in society throughout this time cannot be discounted with regard to how they changed the match day experience - from large scale unemployment to the increase in other competing leisure activities, from a greater understanding of health and safety  risks to a decreased sense of local community and the corresponding link to local sporting teams.

The question of whether players were better is already subjective before you take into account any changes in coaching, fitness and speed. Whilst agreeing that their have been advances in all these areas, I do tend to think that the improvement in these areas has not necessarily resulted in an improved final product. 

Another possible issue in any comparison can be the nature of the evidence available. In the 1970s only two games a week were televised. Motherwell might only be on television ten times a year. Now every match is just about available and we see every excruciating moment if we are braver enough, this season anyway. I am also of the opinion that this season, without crowds through Covid restrictions, deserves to be discounted. Yes, we have played pretty dreadfully, but the games without crowds are just so lacking in atmosphere and spectacle that they should be seen as a, hopefully short lived, aberration.

• Like 2

You also have to take into account the nostalgia factor.

We all miss our youth, and anything that reminds us of that has a special place in our hearts.

Thats why music these days is generally shite! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1