Rangers/Celtic leaving the SPFL

middleeastdave

Here we go again another round of Celtic/Rangers wanting to join a British league!!

This is hypocrisy at its best, only a couple of days ago both of them slagging the six English clubs initially wanting to to join the European Super league, and now they want to destroy Scottish football which will happen if this nonsense!

Personally I think it’s a non goer, but it must be a worry for a few club chairman’s .

There was a story today about a giant great white shark 'heading for British waters.....just in time for summer!'

The shark that is being tracked as part of a scientific study is currently in the middle of the Atlantic on the same latitudinal line as Saharan West Africa.

I'd say the 'Rangers/Celtic/British League' story and the 'Great White Shark' story are about on the same level as news.

• Haha 1

We can dream, but like a bad smell, they are going to hang around polluting our league for many years to come.

For people of a certain age (like myself) it is amusing watching teams trying to resurrect what is, in effect, just a new version of the Texaco Cup. A competition which, ironically, ran out of steam when English clubs lost interest in playing in it.

Sooner they leave Scottish football and take all there baggage with them the better, the Scottish game will be better for it.

Plus if they did end up in an expanded English premiership / British super league they would quickly find out they are not as good as they think they are.

The other 40 clubs in Scotland would be glad to see the back of them. However as Ya Bezzer says it will never happen, the English turkeys won't vote for Christmas,  so this is the usual bullshit story that surfaces every few years.

• Like 3

Well, well didn’t take long did it. I hope they Celtic an Rangers International FC go to the so called British Super League. Then we have Independence that would be two foreign teams playing in England and no way to get back to Scotland to play in the SPFL. :nono:

Rant over for now 

So by British super league they mean themselves joining the English set up since there would not be any Irish or welsh clubs in it and no other Scottish clubs. It really is a poor story cause everyone know this will never happen. Why would the English league welcome them. Although, if they did, the fair way would be for them to start in the lowest division and earn promotion from each tier. I’d love to see that   

13 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So by British super league they mean themselves joining the English set up since there would not be any Irish or welsh clubs in it and no other Scottish clubs. It really is a poor story cause everyone know this will never happen. Why would the English league welcome them. Although, if they did, the fair way would be for them to start in the lowest division and earn promotion from each tier. I’d love to see that   

Are you suggesting the lowest league level in England or would they need to start in the Isthmian league at level 7, you could get a good Netflix mini series from that scenario, :)

• Haha 1

Just now, Spiderpig said:

Are you suggesting the lowest league level in England or would they need to start in the Isthmian league at level 7, you could get a good Netflix mini series from that scenario, :)

I don’t even know how england is set up any more. I liked it when they had divisions 1 2 3 and 4. The rest were just non league.  Simpler times. 

This subject comes up at least once every couple of years and has done for as long as I can remember.

And while I can see the ‘romantic’ idea in the Old Firm leaving the Scottish game thus leaving the rest of Scottish football to compete for the baubles and free of all the baggage that comes with them and also the ‘glory hunters’...

However, them ‘leaving/moving from’ Scottish football would not mean that Parkhead and Ibrox are flat packed, loaded onto the back of lorries and driven down the M74 or across the Channel with all of their core support following behind them as they set up in somewhere like Manchester, London, Paris, Madrid or wherever. Their core support would all still be up here and if anything their popularity, and ‘glory hunter’ element would only grow a lot further, thus harming the rest of the Scottish game. And that’s before you consider the impact it would have on sponsorship and TV coverage.

I personally don’t see it ever happening and I for one am glad for that. 

49 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

This is the Rangers that accused everyone of not saving them in Scottish league yet for years they were both desperate to leave. Personally I hope they go as league will be more competitive and maybe attract more fans

I don't know if it would attract more fans overall, but it would be a lot more competitive and entertaining. You just need to look at the teams that fight for 3rd and 4th. That changes most seasons so would be logical to think there would some good title battles.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

This is the Rangers that accused everyone of not saving them in Scottish league yet for years they were both desperate to leave. Personally I hope they go as league will be more competitive and maybe attract more fans

And the Celtic whose fans were happy to laugh at Rangers predicament but were gutted when we cuffed them in the play-off as they weren't getting the bigots days out for another season. My in-laws are Celtic fans and the sheer seethe from them after we beat Rangers 2-0 in the League Cup Semi was worse than anything I heard from Rangers fans because they'd missed out on an OF final (especially after St Brendan had his rant about how physical we had been).

2 cheeks of the same arse, I'd love to see them head south, fail miserably and have to come crawling back with their tails between their legs.  A cancer on the Scottish game and Scottish society as a whole. God knows why the English teams would want their fans anyway near their grounds. To clear out some seated sections for free for them before they fit Standing rails in those sections?

• Like 6

Would love it to happen and all the pessimists saying it would be the end of Scottish football are imo wide of the mark. Yes sponsorship would I'm sure initially drop but football is our national sport and not like Ireland or wales where rugby is bigger.  League would be very competitive and if you look at countries like Slovenia for instance they have clubs and population maybe similar to us and maribor have been in champs league. Plus the glasgow 2s fans would be going mental every 2nd week or more as they wouldn't be winning.  All this pish that with money they'd be top 4 is nonsense look at likes of arsenal.newcastle Everton leeds etc I could go on who have done nothing in years. Their support would plummet I believe. All this talk of colts teams is I believe coz if they went to another league it allows their fans still to be involved in all the towns all over scotland supporting them in Scotland. It should not be allowed to happen

• Like 1

The logistics of teams from one country playing in another could no doubt be worked out, if there's big enough money to be had. But I don't know how those clubs could then have colts sides competing in a different league.

If they want to - and can - piss off, fine by me. They've made sure no one else in Scotland can possibly compete with them anyway.

With the support of member clubs...including ours... the buffoons that run the game up here would welcome the OF second string teams into the Scottish Premiership. No doubt quoting sponsorship and TV income as the prime reasons for their inclusion. And most of that income would end up going where it does now. I could even see games up here being arranged to ensure that games involving the OF do not clash with their British League fixtures. Cant damage PPV income after all.

Given the income that Rangers and Celtic would get from a British Super League they could easily fund teams strong enough to continue to dominate up here. Effectively feeder teams where squad players could be brought up to a level for promotion to their top sides. Might take a couple of seasons but I have no doubt we would end up with the exact same situation we have now.  Except that we would have two Rangers and two Celtics to wind us up. The media would love it though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dennyc said:

With the support of member clubs...including ours... the buffoons that run the game up here would welcome the OF second string teams into the Scottish Premiership. No doubt quoting sponsorship and TV income as the prime reasons for their inclusion. And most of that income would end up going where it does now. I could even see games up here being arranged to ensure that games involving the OF do not clash with their British League fixtures. Cant damage PPV income after all.

Given the income that Rangers and Celtic would get from a British Super League they could easily fund teams strong enough to continue to dominate up here. Effectively feeder teams where squad players could be brought up to a level for promotion to their top sides. Might take a couple of seasons but I have no doubt we would end up with the exact same situation we have now.  Except that we would have two Rangers and two Celtics to wind us up. The media would love it though.

Then it would be time for us to form a breakaway.

The European Smashing Wee League or something.

53 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Would love it to happen and all the pessimists saying it would be the end of Scottish football are imo wide of the mark. Yes sponsorship would I'm sure initially drop but football is our national sport and not like Ireland or wales where rugby is bigger.

Can't speak for Wales, but for what it's worth, football is definitely more popular than rugby here in Ireland. (Gaelic football and hurling are the most popular sports, but even that's only been the case for the last two or three years.)