Rangers/Celtic leaving the SPFL

middleeastdave

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

Cardiff and Swansea play in England and Wales.

Sorry, I meant leagues, specifically. The Welsh clubs who play in the English leagues are invited to play in the Welsh Cup. Some do, some don't. But if they win, UEFA does not allow them to qualify for Europe as a result. They have to do that through English competitions.

I know there are quite a few teams who don't play in their own country's league, but has any club ever fielded sides in leagues of more than one country simultaneously? 

12 hours ago, dennyc said:

With the support of member clubs...including ours... the buffoons that run the game up here would welcome the OF second string teams into the Scottish Premiership. No doubt quoting sponsorship and TV income as the prime reasons for their inclusion. And most of that income would end up going where it does now. I could even see games up here being arranged to ensure that games involving the OF do not clash with their British League fixtures. Cant damage PPV income after all.

Given the income that Rangers and Celtic would get from a British Super League they could easily fund teams strong enough to continue to dominate up here. Effectively feeder teams where squad players could be brought up to a level for promotion to their top sides. Might take a couple of seasons but I have no doubt we would end up with the exact same situation we have now.  Except that we would have two Rangers and two Celtics to wind us up. The media would love it though.

I wasn't going to post but here goes......

Totally agree Denny. The establishment, politicians and media would fall over themselves to support Sevco and Celtic second teams remaining in Scotland. 

36 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I wasn't going to post but here goes......

Totally agree Denny. The establishment, politicians and media would fall over themselves to support Sevco and Celtic second teams remaining in Scotland. 

Indeed they would and I suspect so would most clubs unless they are pressured by their supports in a manner similar to the vote on the new Rangers club in 2012. But back then Celtic were still in the top league ensuring sponsorship and TV deals would still come Scottish footballs way.

In my opinion it’s a nice idea but in reality the only clubs that would truly benefit from the Old Firm leaving Scottish football and playing elsewhere would be the Old Firm themselves as they would only grow in stature and support.

I don't see this happening but if it did there is no way they could run teams in England and Scotland. It would be far too much expense and they would be looking at trying to get their fans in for 50 odd home games a year rather than 30ish the now.  

The Scottish league would survive but the winners would be the city clubs and we would be hit hard by it as TV is a bigger proportion of our revenue than it is for Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs. We had to down the size the squad hugely after Rangers left the league in 2012 and we would be starting the downsizing at a lower level right now.

58 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't see this happening but if it did there is no way they could run teams in England and Scotland. It would be far too much expense and they would be looking at trying to get their fans in for 50 odd home games a year rather than 30ish the now.  

The Scottish league would survive but the winners would be the city clubs and we would be hit hard by it as TV is a bigger proportion of our revenue than it is for Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs. We had to down the size the squad hugely after Rangers left the league in 2012 and we would be starting the downsizing at a lower level right now.

I would love that to be the case. But the income from the “British” team would easily fund the running of a “Scottish” version. With change left over. Look at the income of the EPL teams just now  compared to up here, so there is a massive financial boost right away. And that income would be greater in a British set up. Otherwise why bother? Then add in PPV worldwide which is the only reason a British League would need Rangers and Celtic. The market in the US and Australia/NZ where there are a huge number of ex pats being an example. England has Asia covered. 
I suspect many OF fans would jump at the chance of a ST covering home matches for both teams (or a cheaper option covering one version) with Away matches covered by Celtic/Rangers/ PPV TV as add ons. Probably work out cheaper than I pay for Sky plus BT at present. The European Super League shambles this week showed that fans in grounds are only regarded as “top up” cash where the bigger clubs are concerned. 
My only hope would be that the game’s Governing bodies in Europe would create a rule that a Club cannot field teams in two separate countries, but given that the likes of Barca can field two teams in the Spanish Leagues I have my doubts. At best they might dictate that players cannot switch from team to team outside transfer windows. 
Within a few years the game in Scotland would be where it is just now, OF dominating but likely less quality or cash on offer.

In the unlikely situation that there was a pyramid system allowing promotion to a British League, you might get somebody like Aberdeen or Hearts bankrupting themselves in the hope of getting promoted. A pyramid system does beg the question as to what would happen if either OF team were relegated. Back to Scotland? But then what happens to their “Scottish” version? 

Of course who is to say that they would want to run two teams? I suspect it would more Scottish football that would want them than the other way round. 

I think the only way the Old Firm could do this is lock, stock and barrel. Join the English league system. End of.

Forming a British League: Which Association controls that? Form a new one? Can you still have seperate Scottish and English professional leagues running if it happens? What happens to the respective international sides if Britain is accepted as a distinct football entity?

Take the big team to England and leave a wee team here: Even if that's possible, what happens if both sides qualify for the same European competition? Rangers v Rangers? Could players under contract to one club move between 2 teams in different leagues?

We're all used to that pair ruling the roost up here, but the reality is, historically and currently, UEFA don't give a shit about the Old Firm. Our lot might bend over for them on a regular basis, but why would those who really make the rules smash them to pieces for the sake of 2 nobodies?

We had all the doom and gloom and the death of Scottish football chat, when Rangers went bust in 2012 and it was all bullshit.

It's an irrelevant argument anyway as it will never happen, but if the ugly sisters left Scotland the game would be better for it, more competition in the premiership, more teams getting  a chance to win the league, 2 teams other than the uglies winning the league in the last 50 odd years is not good.

As for TV money there would still be a deal albeit a lower one but clubs will  survive, the game in Scotland is what it is but without the uglies it would be in a better place.

7 minutes ago, dennyc said:

I would love that to be the case. But the income from the “British” team would easily fund the running of a “Scottish” version. With change left over. Look at the income of the EPL teams just now  compared to up here, so there is a massive financial boost right away.

Aye but running the Scottish team would be a cost that the English teams didn't have to bear so straight away the Old Firm are putting themselves at a financial disadvantage compared to their new rivals which would make no sense when the English side would be at risk of relegation.

I don't think they will leave but there is no chance they would run teams in two leagues if they did. It would be an expensive farce. How many people pay into see Celtic vs Livi at Parkhead at 3pm if Celtic are playing Man Utd at Old Trafford at half 12 beforehand?

English football is littered with big clubs who can easily pull crowds of 30k+ every week and they are nothing more than perennial yo-yo clubs and that's despite the years of benefitting from the crazy finances down there. Both probably have a bigger international pull, but they'd still need a big investor to compete. It would be interesting to see how the fanbases react to a decade of mid table finishes. 

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Aye but running the Scottish team would be a cost that the English teams didn't have to bear so straight away the Old Firm are putting themselves at a financial disadvantage compared to their new rivals which would make no sense when the English side would be at risk of relegation.

I don't think they will leave but there is no chance they would run teams in two leagues if they did. It would be an expensive farce. How many people pay into see Celtic vs Livi at Parkhead at 3pm if Celtic are playing Man Utd at Old Trafford at half 12 beforehand?

I don’t really think it will happen either. Just accepting that it is a possibility and  it’s a good football debate.  To join the elite, the OF might be happy to have that extra expense. If they wanted to be represented up here. That is not a given. And they could always pull the plug on it if needs be. 

Re games clashing. It is fairly straight forward to ensure that does not happen. If that was a condition of the OF agreeing to field a team up here, I believe our Administrators would fall over backwards to accommodate them. And in the example quoted, how many Celtic fans would be able to get tickets or travel to Manchester or the like week after week? Away fans in a British League could well be restricted in numbers.  Back to PPV again. Friday night games anyone? 

Players  switching teams was also an issue raised. I think EPL Clubs currently have to declare a list of 25? players  who are the only ones allowed to play throughout the season. Same could well apply. 

And as far as Europe is concerned, no way will Scottish teams be anywhere near the top ranking Tournament the British League representatives would feature in, if allowed. We would be in with teams from Latvia, Poland and Sweden .The also rans.  But if it did happen, the wee team does not enter and the place goes to next in line. 

There is no doubt Clubs from one Country can play in another. Swansea Cardiff Monaco. The only question is whether they can still field teams in their home base. I suspect UEFA would not care. It would be left to the home Associations. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We had to down the size the squad hugely after Rangers left the league in 2012 and we would be starting the downsizing at a lower level right now.

I don’t think that was down to Rangers not being there, were we not already downsizing due to Dempster’s model of running the club? We were screaming from the rooftops about how we were going to have to cut our budget from the summer of 2011, a full year before Rangers went down the tubes and for each of the next three summers we were having to downsize the squad.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:39 PM, middleeastdave said:

Here we go again another round of Celtic/Rangers wanting to join a British league!!

This is hypocrisy at its best, only a couple of days ago both of them slagging the six English clubs initially wanting to to join the European Super league, and now they want to destroy Scottish football which will happen if this nonsense!

Personally I think it’s a non goer, but it must be a worry for a few club chairman’s .

it wouldnt destroy Scottish Football

22 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

t wouldnt destroy Scottish Football

It might actually help Scottish football. We would hopefully have a league where the majority of teams had an opportunity to win the league, rather than the stale situation we have at present, where every other team is fighting for third place. If your team was in the mix to win the league, it could actually generate bigger crowds at more games, because of the competitive nature of the league.  So bye bye R & C.