Season 2020’21: Game 36: Kilmarnock (H)

Andy_P

13 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Why not bring in Cornelius and maybe one more youngster and see what they can do?, I don't see point in us playing magloire again and would like to see Cornelius in for Crawford. If Watt fully fit he has to start 

If Cornelius can't get a couple of games at this point, he never will.

Agree - I'd like to see some of the fringe players get game time

it's time to make decisions on these types of players.  He signed 3 years ago and no longer a teenager. 

The other young wingback could also get a game play him rightback pushing SOD further up .

Dunne - also another player who could be useful. 

Having Watt back gives us another dimension to our game as he proved yesterday. Do we start cautiously or go for it.

Mark Lafferty out the game and cut off his supply line from the wings and we're halfway there.

Would also like to see young Cornelius and Johnston getting some game time or is winning more important to us in the chase for 7th place than giving youngsters a run out

37 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

it's time to make decisions on these types of players.  He signed 3 years ago and no longer a teenager. 

The other young wingback could also get a game play him rightback pushing SOD further up .

The other young wingback …… take it your talking about Max Johnston,  is injured picked up injury in the week after his debut … according to Alexander on podcast the other night.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, santheman said:

Would also like to see young Cornelius and Johnston getting some game time or is winning more important to us in the chase for 7th place than giving youngsters a run out

Sadly you hit the nail on the head.  The manager will have been told to get that 7th place prize money.

Not that I'm against that myself but I would still like to see us introduce some younger players and perhaps play with a bit more pizzazz.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:02 PM, wellsince75 said:

I would agree with Dunne getting the chance as he was unfortunate with his injury and I know that he had his critics but I would like for him to get a chance, GA will have to make some decisions regarding who will be offering contracts and would think with Dunne it might be 50/50 if offered !

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Sadly you hit the nail on the head.  The manager will have been told to get that 7th place prize money.

Not that I'm against that myself but I would still like to see us introduce some younger players and perhaps play with a bit more pizzazz.

Erm why would the youngsters perform any worse than the duds we've had this year? Think about what you're saying here.

Given that this is effectively a free hit, Id like to see us come out and attack from the start, the way we played the last 30 and first half of extra time against Hibs. We look a much better team when we do that than when we sit in and try to defend.

I think that the lack of any under 20 or reserve team fixtures this season has made it even harder for young players to develop and make a case for being given their chance in the first team. Normally I am an advocate for giving youth their chance, but the lack of an intermediate level for them to work on and showcase their talents is just another minor problem caused by the pandemic. Hopefully it is just an abstract issue for a limited period and we can continue to develop the core of our team for the future.

As for the remaining fixtures, let's just play the best team we have, try and finish as high up the table as possible, and then consign this season to the dustbin of history where, from our perspective, it rightfully belongs.

A win tomorrow would be magic,   anyone that reads my posts will know that apart from the honking jokes will know that I am huge fan of giving youth a chance,   we are now safe but still we wont give youth a chance as money depends on final league position.  Now no offence to Crawford or magloire but why cant we give Cornelius and devine a chance?, again just my opinion folks....COYWN

42 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

A win tomorrow would be magic,   anyone that reads my posts will know that apart from the honking jokes will know that I am huge fan of giving youth a chance,   we are now safe but still we wont give youth a chance as money depends on final league position.  Now no offence to Crawford or magloire but why cant we give Cornelius and devine a chance?, again just my opinion folks....COYWN

If GA and the coaching team don't think cornelius and Devine are ready for the 1st team for the last 35 games, why should they be played for the last 3 just because we are safe.  The harsh fact that people seem to forget is that these players might just not be good enough for the 1st team.

We should be playing our strongest available team in every game, 7th is the highest we can finish so that's what the target should be.

Motherwell have a good record of giving young players who are ready to step up their chance, but for every Turnbull, Pearson, Faddy etc there are lots more who won't be good enough at this level.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

If GA and the coaching team don't think cornelius and Devine are ready for the 1st team for the last 35 games, why should they be played for the last 3 just because we are safe.  The harsh fact that people seem to forget is that these players might just not be good enough for the 1st team.

We should be playing our strongest available team in every game, 7th is the highest we can finish so that's what the target should be.

Motherwell have a good record of giving young players who are ready to step up their chance, but for every Turnbull, Pearson, Faddy etc there are lots more who won't be good enough at this level.

That’s development football for you. How do you know they are not good enough if they aren’t given the chance with a competitive edge? There’s an element of some speaking with forked tongue too...

Well aware it’s a fine balance, I get the reward for 7th place, just not sure it’s worth it if detrimental to prospects in the longer term. Doesn’t align with the clear pathways promoted in the business model.

• Like 1

I think the manager said they earn the chance. That maybe through how they are in training or via substitute performances or starting in place of an injured player. Regardless, they are not so much “given” the chance At the expense of a player who is doing what the manager asks him to do but rather taking advantage of an opportunity when it comes along. I am ok with that. 

With no reserve games, no real chances to go out on loan and a team that was in a relegation battle, it's been a bit of a write off season for the youth players. The upside is that, even though chances were thin on the ground, we kept them employed and active - unlike some clubs that just completely shut things down.