Season 2020’21: Game 36: Kilmarnock (H)

Andy_P

Just now, Goggles & Flippers said:

Fair play to O'Donnell for not celebrating against his former club. #classy

He has taken some stick from Killie fans as well since he moved to us then signed the two year deal a month or so ago.  Nicely worked goal all the same.

6 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Fair play to O'Donnell for not celebrating against his former club. #classy

That’s something in the modern game that I really don’t like. I think it’s fake and patronising but I appreciate that it’s ‘the done thing’ nowadays.

A well worked goal and well taken nonetheless and a good win.

Quite poor second half but a good win. 
For me, the biggest stand out was foley. It was nice to see a midfielder who is actually on the right side of the ball and can read a game. Mr. Crawford should take note as we looked much less rushed and panicked as a result.

2 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

That’s something in the modern game that I really don’t like.

I have no problem with this. Its gone on for decades. I remember Davy Wilson doing this in the 1970s, when he played for either Dundee United or Rangers.

Great performance and result today. At 3pm, the team maybe didn't look as expected but by full time, they'd done as good a job as seen all season. Nullified Lafferty to half-chances and but for a better touch and ball in the final third, we could have had four or five. Foley played his part really well, didn't put a foot wrong and looked like he'd been a part of the midfield all season. Cole's finish for the first and set-up for the second were sublime. 

As galling as it is to have had such a poor season, it now looks likely that we could finish the season with more points than the teams in 6th and 5th. - level with St Johnstone and Livingston with an "easier" run in. Job done, on to the next one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I have no problem with this. Its gone on for decades. I remember Davy Wilson doing this in the 1970s, when he played for either Dundee United or Rangers.

I don’t doubt that but it’s certainly a lot more common nowadays. I remember Stevie Kirk, Phil O’Donnell, Alex Burns etc scoring against us and celebrating with their teammates and albeit before my time, I’ve seen footage of Willie Pettigrew doing the same when scoring against us for Hearts. I had no problem with that whatsoever.

By ‘celebrating’ I don’t mean doing a Derek Townsley(running the length of the East Stand giving the GIRUYs) or Scott McDonald(kissing the badge) but simply enjoying the moment with their own teammates.

Accies are totally staying up.

It was good to see us play with a bit more confidence, with some really good play in the first half especially that made us way more watchable than our last few games. Foley had an excellent game, and I can see why he was so highly regarded by St Mirren fans. Lawless also looked better when he was on. 

Killie had a spell when Burke came on where it looked like the equalizer was inevitable, but our changes cancelled that out, and the second goal killed them. 

We looked good at the back, and Lamie handled lafferty well, but had his usual couple of mental lapses that could have cost us. Kelly only had to make 2 saves all game though. 

I really like McGinley, he's a sneaky cynical bastard, and has been solid since getting back in.

I thought Hastie looked dangerous but is seriously lacking in confidence. If someone can help him get that back he may find his way again, but I cant imagine it will be with us.  Cole is playing his way out of us having any chance of keeping him, which is a shame.

Decent enough performance considering it wasn't that meaningful for us in the grand scheme of things. All too easy to let your performance drop in those circumstances. It did happen for some short periods, but considering Killie knew they were fighting for survival, we kept them quiet where it counted.

Staying in seventh in our own hands now, and would be a good result given how our form was earlier in the season.

And another clean sheet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Could Accies escape again?

Would be a brave man that ever bets against Accies escaping. They always seem to manage to find wins during the business end of the season.

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Decent enough performance considering it wasn't that meaningful for us in the grand scheme of things. All too easy to let your performance drop in those circumstances. It did happen for some short periods, but considering Killie knew they were fighting for survival, we kept them quiet where it counted.

Staying in seventh in our own hands now, and would be a good result given how our form was earlier in the season.

And another clean sheet.

All things considered, especially how things were looking before Christmas and before Robinson left, we’ve actually done okay this season.

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

I don’t doubt that but it’s certainly a lot more common nowadays. I remember Stevie Kirk, Phil O’Donnell, Alex Burns etc scoring against us and celebrating with their teammates and albeit before my time, I’ve seen footage of Willie Pettigrew doing the same when scoring against us for Hearts. I had no problem with that whatsoever.

By ‘celebrating’ I don’t mean doing a Derek Townsley(running the length of the East Stand giving the GIRUYs) or Scott McDonald(kissing the badge) but simply enjoying the moment with their own teammates.

Given the abuse that Townsley got from his own fans, I had no problem with his reaction that day, badge kissing I just think is naff.

Ultimately, I don't really care how ex-players celebrate, I'd just rather they didn't get the chance against us.