Season 2020’21: Game 36: Kilmarnock (H)

Andy_P

Cole has got 10 goals in 22 league starts this season.

Pretty impressive goal ratio.  Probably one of the best in the league, especially when you consider only one has been a penalty.

The top scorer Edouard has 16 in 25 and 5 have been penalties.

Better today, a better balance about the team and actually trying to play football rather than the pointless hoof ball constantly giving possession away. Foley played well. Understandably 2nd half saw us pushed back as Kilmarnock knew the scores in the other matches so kind of threw caution to the wind. That said we were slow to try and nullify Burkes crosses into the area and on another day could have cost us dear. Two good goals and some entertaining football . Right team selection , good result.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Cole has got 10 goals in 22 league starts this season.

Pretty impressive goal ratio.  Probably one of the best in the league, especially when you consider only one has been a penalty.

The top scorer Edouard has 16 in 25 and 5 have been penalties.

And while the split obviously skews the data somewhat, I noticed today that we have taken more points (12) from our last 5 Premiership games than any other club.

If you just look at the bottom six teams over their last 5 games:

St Mirren - 4pts

Dundee Utd  - 7pts

Ross County 4pts

Kilmarnock 7pts

Accies - 4pts

19 minutes ago, weeyin said:

And while the split obviously skews the data somewhat, I noticed today that we have taken more points (12) from our last 5 Premiership games than any other club.

If you just look at the bottom six teams over their last 5 games:

St Mirren - 4pts

Dundee Utd  - 7pts

Ross County 4pts

Kilmarnock 7pts

Accies - 4pts

Screw the "best of the rest" league and the split skewing the data, read the "Last 6" stats and weep.

image.png.4039c91d1fd93ad4e7164f20e6ac1651.png

• Like 3

Overall very happy with today's outcome. We deserved to win but made it hard for ourselves. Pleasingly we tried to play football, rather than hoofball. Cole and Foley were our stars I'd say.  At times though, especially in the second half as Killie came at us, our midfield went AWOL. As Stevie Kirk remarked that was up to Lamie and moreso Gallagher, as captain, to kick the butts of our midfielders and force them out of our box, whether they wanted to go or not.  We had some nice touches up front but the final ball was often lacking.  We were a bit slow, as FirParkCorner exile, says to tighten up when Burke came on.

Still a good day. Academic maybe, but hopefully, McGinley can appeal his yellow card.

• Like 1

Stevie G certainly has been pretty good on the transfer market. Considering that they could have got Turnbull for the same 400k compo wonder if that is a regret. Saying that they could have got him last summer if they really wanted him.

Since the Scotland squad will be increased  to 26 from 23 due to Covid, what fringe players will get in, who's turned on the class in the last few months? Patterson? Turnbull? etc.?

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Overall very happy with today's outcome. We deserved to win but made it hard for ourselves. Pleasingly we tried to play football, rather than hoofball. Cole and Foley were our stars I'd say.  At times though, especially in the second half as Killie came at us, our midfield went AWOL. As Stevie Kirk remarked that was up to Lamie and moreso Gallagher, as captain, to kick the butts of our midfielders and force them out of our box, whether they wanted to go or not.  We had some nice touches up front but the final ball was often lacking.  We were a bit slow, as FirParkCorner exile, says to tighten up when Burke came on.

Still a good day. Academic maybe, but hopefully, McGinley can appeal his yellow card.

Why would he appeal it, I would award that card every week?

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Was it not mistaken identity or have I got that wrong?

Free kick was awarded and McGinley walked the ball 10 yards up the park, when the ball was played back Cole knocked it away again.  He decided to book the first offender, could have booked both.

2 hours ago, Yassin said:

O'Donnell should have sprinted the length of the pitch to cup his ears to the empty South 

ha! 

have to say I think He has been a great signing for us. Best right back we have had for years. 

Fantastic that we have managed to get him in on a two year deal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Stevie G certainly has been pretty good on the transfer market. Considering that they could have got Turnbull for the same 400k compo wonder if that is a regret. Saying that they could have got him last summer if they really wanted him.

Since the Scotland squad will be increased  to 26 from 23 due to Covid, what fringe players will get in, who's turned on the class in the last few months? Patterson? Turnbull? etc.?

Turnbull should be in the squad for his set piece delivery into the box alone, never mind anything else.  Far and away the best we have at whipping a ball into dangerous areas.

I actually think Patterson is a real prospect but I think it's come too soon for him.  Very little game time experience and likely to be behind Tavernier in the pecking order.  Although I think Tavernier is vastly over rated but I don't see Patterson ousting him right now.  

21 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Turnbull should be in the squad for his set piece delivery into the box alone, never mind anything else.  Far and away the best we have at whipping a ball into dangerous areas.

I actually think Patterson is a real prospect but I think it's come too soon for him.  Very little game time experience and likely to be behind Tavernier in the pecking order.  Although I think Tavernier is vastly over rated but I don't see Patterson ousting him right now.  

I'm not exactly that clued up on The Rainjurs, but I always thought Taverier was LB and Patterson was RB, but I guess not...?

Tavernier was injured which allowed Patterson to break through, granted an average performance in blue or green gets the press hacks excited, not as if that defence has been troubled much this season. However Tavernier has returned, is club captain and Patterson has to serve a 3 match bad for attending a house party earlier in the year.

Personally I'd drop McBurnie, I don't think he warrants a place. Nisbet could easily be replaced by someone like Forrest albeit returning from a long injury. Turnbull has earned a spot from coming into and being among the best of a bad bunch at Parkhead. I'd suggest Griffiths too but I don't know where he is at at all in terms of his game or beyond it now, he is a talisman however. Ryan Jack would be my third if one of the above doesn't get the nod. I wouldn't be surprised if its 3 with call ups already but not in the most recent squad.

Only a few games to rattle the managers cage. With the extension of 23 to 26 in the squad it is more likely to be someone he's used over the past year and dropped. Wikipedia list these as:

GK Robby McCrorie 18 March 1998 (age 23) 0 0 Scotland Livingston 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

DF Liam Cooper 30 August 1991 (age 29) 5 0 England Leeds United 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
DF Paul Hanlon 20 January 1990 (age 31) 1 0 Scotland Hibernian 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic
DF Paul McGinn 22 October 1990 (age 30) 0 0 Scotland Hibernian 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic
DF Ryan Porteous 25 March 1999 (age 22) 0 0 Scotland Hibernian 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

MF Ryan Jack 27 February 1992 (age 29) 10 0 Scotland Rangers 25 March 2021, v. 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria
MF Ross McCrorie 18 March 1998 (age 23) 0 0 Scotland Aberdeen 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

FW Leigh Griffiths 20 August 1990 (age 30) 22 4 Scotland Celtic 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
FW Callum Paterson 13 October 1994 (age 26) 17 0 England Sheffield Wednesday 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
FW Oliver Burke 7 April 1997 (age 24) 13 1 England Sheffield United 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
FW Lawrence Shankland 10 August 1995 (age 25) 4 1 Scotland Dundee United 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
FW James Forrest 7 July 1991 (age 29) 35 5 Scotland Celtic 7 September 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We'd be mad not to have Turnbull in the squad. Much like he was in his season with us, he leads the stats again in key areas and he's been Celtic's standout player any time I've seen him.

(The fact that good international form will add to his sell-on value is just a bonus).

10 hours ago, Electric Blues said:

Screw the "best of the rest" league and the split skewing the data, read the "Last 6" stats and weep.

image.png.4039c91d1fd93ad4e7164f20e6ac1651.png

This makes very enjoyable reading. 

GA has done everything that has been asked of him since arriving and but for very small margins, we could have been in a Cup semi final as well. 

I don't get the feeling that Alexander has been universally accepted yet but you cannot argue with the facts. 

Well done to the manager and the players. 

3 hours ago, star sail said:

This makes very enjoyable reading. 

GA has done everything that has been asked of him since arriving and but for very small margins, we could have been in a Cup semi final as well. 

I don't get the feeling that Alexander has been universally accepted yet but you cannot argue with the facts. 

Well done to the manager and the players. 

This is Motherwell. We could have Pep Guardiola winning us the Premier League and Europa cup and he would not be universally accepted :-)

GA was my choice for Manager, but even I thought he would have a difficult time dealing with this squad and some of the issues that have been spoken about.  We seem to have a decent GK and defence. A decent attack. Our problem has been in midfield where we have or had too many similar defensive types. Down to injuries and Polworth being a bit of a dick. 

Yesterday we were much better in midfield. Foley made a big difference.