Season 2020’21: Game 36: Kilmarnock (H)

Andy_P

On 5/1/2021 at 11:31 PM, Goggles & Flippers said:

Tavernier was injured which allowed Patterson to break through, granted an average performance in blue or green gets the press hacks excited, not as if that defence has been troubled much this season. However Tavernier has returned, is club captain and Patterson has to serve a 3 match bad for attending a house party earlier in the year.

Personally I'd drop McBurnie, I don't think he warrants a place. Nisbet could easily be replaced by someone like Forrest albeit returning from a long injury. Turnbull has earned a spot from coming into and being among the best of a bad bunch at Parkhead. I'd suggest Griffiths too but I don't know where he is at at all in terms of his game or beyond it now, he is a talisman however. Ryan Jack would be my third if one of the above doesn't get the nod. I wouldn't be surprised if its 3 with call ups already but not in the most recent squad.

Only a few games to rattle the managers cage. With the extension of 23 to 26 in the squad it is more likely to be someone he's used over the past year and dropped. Wikipedia list these as:

GK Robby McCrorie 18 March 1998 (age 23) 0 0 Scotland Livingston 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

DF Liam Cooper 30 August 1991 (age 29) 5 0 England Leeds United 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
DF Paul Hanlon 20 January 1990 (age 31) 1 0 Scotland Hibernian 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic
DF Paul McGinn 22 October 1990 (age 30) 0 0 Scotland Hibernian 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic
DF Ryan Porteous 25 March 1999 (age 22) 0 0 Scotland Hibernian 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

MF Ryan Jack 27 February 1992 (age 29) 10 0 Scotland Rangers 25 March 2021, v. 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Austria
MF Ross McCrorie 18 March 1998 (age 23) 0 0 Scotland Aberdeen 14 October 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

FW Leigh Griffiths 20 August 1990 (age 30) 22 4 Scotland Celtic 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
FW Callum Paterson 13 October 1994 (age 26) 17 0 England Sheffield Wednesday 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
FW Oliver Burke 7 April 1997 (age 24) 13 1 England Sheffield United 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
FW Lawrence Shankland 10 August 1995 (age 25) 4 1 Scotland Dundee United 18 November 2020, v. 21px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png Israel
FW James Forrest 7 July 1991 (age 29) 35 5 Scotland Celtic 7 September 2020, v. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic

Mcburnie is touch and go as to whether or not he will be fit for the euros, chances are he won't be going for that reason alone.

Ryan Jack is definitely missing the euros through Injury which is a shame because he was excellent against Serbia, he would be a nailed on starter.

I agree with you on Griffiths, he is the one player who you'd fancy to have one effort and score it however he is another who seems well out of the picture. Forrest needs to prove his fitness first however I think Ryan Fraser is injured at the moment so that would seem a natural swap.

I think your looking at one of Shankland, Nisbet and Patterson going.

Turnbull deserves a spot, still not convinced he will go though.

If we're playing Championship level teams, Shankland would be a good call, but the jury's still out for me on his credentials at the top level. Tony Watt's looked more effective (and I wouldn't be picking him for Scotland at this point either).

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

If we're playing Championship level teams, Shankland would be a good call, but the jury's still out for me on his credentials at the top level. Tony Watt's looked more effective (and I wouldn't be picking him for Scotland at this point either).

Agreed, still not sold he is as good as we are made to believe.