Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
claretband

South Stand renaming

Recommended Posts

How about the Ferrier and Stevenson stand? Historically they seem to have always been bracketed together as players.

From a more recent vintage, I would not have an issue with naming it after Joe Wark.

As others have said, too many worthy contenders, not enough stands.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

In reality the South is the real Phil O'Donnell Stand

By that token, the main stand is the Iain St john stand and the east would be the Tom Boyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

By that token, the main stand is the Iain St john stand and the east would be the Tom Boyd

The main stand was never finished so it would be the Ian St ....stand, we've all been waiting over 50 years for John to turn up.:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

How about the Ugliest Stand.

Would work as a temp stand name when the ugly sisters are in town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Would work as a temp stand name when the ugly sisters are in town.

if we ever had money Id take the top deck off it  make it a replica of the Cooper stand. Its a bloody monstrosity as it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

if we ever had money Id take the top deck off it  make it a replica of the Cooper stand. Its a bloody monstrosity as it is.

Dont think it looks too bad when youre in the ground to be honest. Wish we had a home support big enough to fill right enough. 

 

Not sure how I feel on renaming stands. If a stand was bulldozed and rebuilt fair dos but I think it can be a token gesture. The PoD stand for example still referred to as the Main Stand.

 

I agree with other posters...shouldn't be named after anything to do with 1991. We need to celebrate other aspects of our history as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

if we ever had money Id take the top deck off it  make it a replica of the Cooper stand. Its a bloody monstrosity as it is.

Don't think the construction would allow that

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

if we ever had money Id take the top deck off it  make it a replica of the Cooper stand. Its a bloody monstrosity as it is.

A lucrative monstrosity though. Those 2000 seats have put a lot of money in the bank over 25 years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

A lucrative monstrosity though. Those 2000 seats have put a lot of money in the bank over 25 years. 

not really even without those 2000 seats those 2000 paying punters could still be accommodated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

not really even without those 2000 seats those 2000 paying punters could still be accommodated.

Without the top deck where would the other 2000 seats be accommodated, back to the nonsense we had giving the Cooper and the sides of the main stand to the ugly sisters?

The South stand was built solely to accommodate away fans , that was its purpose, these days it may only be full  a few times a season but it means the Motherwell fans get the majority of the ground as it should be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Without the top deck where would the other 2000 seats be accommodated, back to the nonsense we had giving the Cooper and the sides of the main stand to the ugly sisters?

The South stand was built solely to accommodate away fans , that was its purpose, these days it may only be full  a few times a season but it means the Motherwell fans get the majority of the ground as it should be.

OK so its a monstrosity so we can have empty space all over the other 3 stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

OK so its a monstrosity so we can have empty space all over the other 3 stands.

In cold financial terms you may be about right. However if you ask the occupants of the Cooper, Hunter, and POD Stands if they would welcome our friends from Parkhead and Govan beside and amongst them you might receive a somewhat different and franker reply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

OK so its a monstrosity so we can have empty space all over the other 3 stands.

If it means we don't have the green and blue uglies in the POD and Cooper stands annoying and hurling abuse at the well fans then yes, the empty space is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teniously linked to the topic, but I took a wee drive earlier, popped in and parked up outside Fir Park and looking into the South Stand for a wee while earlier today when I was out with my wee boy.

He's nearly 4 and just about showing an interest in football, so naturally, being a basic dad duty , I'm developing that as carefully and thoroughly as one can.

I had him in the car shouting "Mon' The 'Well" full voice heading down to Asda, so much that on the return journey, passing by FP, he automatically bellowed it out with zero encouragement from me.

It was a proud moment, have to say...! :D

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Teniously linked to the topic, but I took a wee drive earlier, popped in and parked up outside Fir Park and looking into the South Stand for a wee while earlier today when I was out with my wee boy.

He's nearly 4 and just about showing an interest in football, so naturally, being a basic dad duty , I'm developing that as carefully and thoroughly as one can.

I had him in the car shouting "Mon' The 'Well" full voice heading down to Asda, so much that on the return journey, passing by FP, he automatically bellowed it out with zero encouragement from me.

It was a proud moment, have to say...! :D

Does he have a scarf?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ropy said:

Does he have a scarf?

Not one of his own, but he will soon. He has a wee grey teddy with a claret MFC t-shirt on if that counts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

If it means we don't have the green and blue uglies in the POD and Cooper stands annoying and hurling abuse at the well fans then yes, the empty space is worth it.

Exactly, plus it reduces the likelihood of their fans getting tickets for the home ends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The South Stand has served it's purpose well since it was built.  It enabled us to mitigate the drop in capacity from not far off 20,000 pre-Taylor Report days to what would have been closer to 10,000 had they gone with a Cooper sized stand.  I don't know how many hundreds of thousands of pounds extra they will have taken it as a result of making full use of the "estate".  I don't think it would have made much odds in terms of the boxes but the additional space has provided them with gym space and (albeit the most basic) a limited  training space when weather conditions made training outside difficult in addition to extra 2000 odd seats.

If that's meant we've ended up with four different sized stands then so be it. I'll take that little bit of character and individuality that Fir Park offers before the time comes when we're sitting in a 2030 or 2040's souped up McDiarmid Park or Almondvale.  And to be fair they went some way to achieve a degree of uniformity with the cladding on each of the stands, although admittedly they've let that slide since with sponsorships

As an aside the original intention was actually to have a scaled down version of the South Stand when the North Stand was originally conceived with two tiers the original plan.  It was only when they did the plans and worked out how high a structure they could get away with and discovered that would only to equate to something like four or five rows that the North Stand, or Cooper Stand as it became, was designed in it's current form.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

As an aside the original intention was actually to have a scaled down version of the South Stand when the North Stand was originally conceived with two tiers the original plan.  It was only when they did the plans and worked out how high a structure they could get away with and discovered that would only to equate to something like four or five rows that the North Stand, or Cooper Stand as it became, was designed in it's current form.

 

Is that not the reason why the front of the roof of the Cooper is so oversized compared to the rest of the stand? They forgot to scale it down from the two tier original design. I'm sure that was mentioned somewhere. or have I just dreamt that up!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Pepper said:

Is that not the reason why the front of the roof of the Cooper is so oversized compared to the rest of the stand? They forgot to scale it down from the two tier original design. I'm sure that was mentioned somewhere. or have I just dreamt that up!?

You might well be right can't say I've heard that mentioned before Pepper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pepper said:

Is that not the reason why the front of the roof of the Cooper is so oversized compared to the rest of the stand? They forgot to scale it down from the two tier original design. I'm sure that was mentioned somewhere. or have I just dreamt that up!?

As has been said earlier the Cooper was originally meant to be identical to the South stand, but as I understand it the owners of the houses behind it on knowetop Ave complained about the size and planning permission was refused so the size had to be scaled back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

OK so its a monstrosity so we can have empty space all over the other 3 stands.

We have extra space because attendances have dwindled solidly since the peak either side of the 2nd World War. The reasons for that are many including the ability to access almost every live game played in the world via subscriptions or naughty streams, other pastimes (I know a few friends who held season tickets and gave them up for golf memberships), lack of sporting contest (OF flip flop winning the league), changes in working patterns away from the traditional 9-5, Monday to Friday, the club not engaging with kids in those pivotal years where you could have them for life, not feeling it is value for money, etc. the list goes on and on.

We had 36,000 at Hampden in 1991, 18,000 in 2011. Nothing to do with it being all seater, we could have had an even split with The Unwashed if the demand was there, which is wasn't. 

The best atmosphere at FP is when you're tooth by jowl, thinking of Odense, Parathanakios, Nancy, Rangers play-off. Yes the club can be responsible for lack of outreach, engagement with lapsed regulars, incentives, etc. But anyone who still attends FP knows a handful of friends, family or acquaintances that have drifted. How many of us can hold our hands up and say they've cajoled, convinced or berated any of them to return?

Easy way to get punters engaged and return ..... impending doom (admin/relegation) or success (cup run). However both are temporary and don't address the underlying trend. Mediocrity unfortunately equals apathy and for a club of our resources that is the datum albeit outwith the OF and maybe Aberdeen our league record in the past 20 years can't be eclipsed by anyone else, including Hearts and Hibs.

 

As for the Cooper, I can't fathom how you'd have the space of a two tiered stand from the touchline to the wall that surrounds the Cooper now. Unless you do a Easter Road and have some odd shapes cutting about at the back of the second tier.

A compact stadium taking the best bits of Tynecastle and Aaelsund's is what we'd look to aspire to in time. Won't be happening for 10 years due to the recent upgrades unless one of us wins Euromillions or remembers they bought 20,000 Bitcoin for £40 in 2009.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

As for the Cooper, I can't fathom how you'd have the space of a two tiered stand from the touchline to the wall that surrounds the Cooper now. Unless you do a Easter Road and have some odd shapes cutting about at the back of the second tier.

Although not necessarily examples of two tiered stand stands, new structurse can be crammed in or built over another landowner's property (with their permission of course).  We just need to look at Firhill, or Celtic Park to see examples of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×