2021/2022 Season ticket renewal

sailor_h

I would have liked the option to renew my season ticket but since that doesn't seem to be a choice I think I'll be putting the money into the Well Society so the club gets the income.

Brilliant gesture by the club nonetheless.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/05/11/free-season-tickets-for-2020-21-holders/

For the link to the official including details.

Absolutely fantastic from the club, from what they're doing, the wording in the statement and the video and everything else.

You see a lot of criticism of how the club is run on here but I guarantee we're the envy of every other clubs fans right now (except maybe St Johnstone if they get a cup double)

That’s quite simply sensational from the club. I’ve not bought one in recent seasons but I’ll certainly do so now. Credit to everyone that has made this possible. On the back of the proposed super league and unrest down south, I hope this pledge gets the spotlight it merits. 

• Like 2

I genuinely did not see something like this coming and nor would I have thought it was possible, especially after everything that's happened over the past fourteen months.

But what a fantastic move from the club and let's hope that there is a huge uptake on this offer which I'm sure there will be.

Well done to everyone who has made this possible.

43 minutes ago, santheman said:

I would have liked the option to renew my season ticket but since that doesn't seem to be a choice I think I'll be putting the money into the Well Society so the club gets the income.

For what it's worth, this is the club's suggestion:

A lot of fans have also approached us about making further donations to the club. In recognition of that, we are asking you to consider donating to our Community Trust and help us continue the excellent work they’ve done over the last year.

In addition, we are launching our Well In scheme, inviting you to make a donation towards season tickets for unemployed persons and low-income families in our area. We are thankful to everyone who would consider such a gesture, and it is possible to do so by visiting donate.motherwellfc.co.uk.

The club apparently had the correct kind of insurance cover to compensate for pandemic losses so this hopefully shouldn't have an impact on budgets for next season.

Credit to Burrows and the other admin staff. I'm not sure what other clubs are in the same position but it's great that the fan owned club are setting the correct example.

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The club apparently had the correct kind of insurance cover to compensate for pandemic losses so this hopefully shouldn't have an impact on budgets for next season.

Credit to Burrows and the other admin staff. I'm not sure what other clubs are in the same position but it's great that the fan owned club are setting the correct example.

That puts a different slant on it for me then.

As long as the club doesn't suffer financially I think I'll split my money 3 ways between the Well Society and the 2 initiatives.

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I think you're right, but a few weeks ago I saw some figures on this and was quite surprised. Accies and Hibs seemed to have been successful in claiming back some £30k and we benefitted from a £20k sum. Maube these were interim or initial payouts?

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think you're right, but a few weeks ago I saw some figures on this and was quite surprised. Accies and Hibs seemed to have been successful in claiming back some £30k and we benefitted from a £20k sum. Maube these were interim or initial payouts?

Accies probably lose less money with no fans in.

I  think we were taking advantage of the government loans too. While not quite free money, it was close. given the repayment terms.

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to 2021/2022 Season ticket renewal

I was critical of the club for selling season tickets last summer when there was virtually no chance that fans could have attended games.  Especially the way the wording of the season ticket copy suggested fans returning to stadiums was likely in the near future.

To be fair, the club have 'corrected' that mistake with this announcement.

Will be interesting to see what happens next season in regards to supporter entry next season, especially pay at the gate.

I'm unlikely to have a season ticket again next season unless the Covid recovery manifests it's self in my bank account but I would like to get to games.

43 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I was critical of the club for selling season tickets last summer when there was virtually no chance that fans could have attended games.  Especially the way the wording of the season ticket copy suggested fans returning to stadiums was likely in the near future.

I have it on good authority that our club , along with others, expected fans to return to stadia after 4 or 5 games.  Looking back that was entirely unrealistic, but then again who could foresee the exact course of the pandemic?

A marvellous gesture by our club, which has kept its word on season tickets and I echo everyone else's praise on that. 

However I have one or two questions on the detail. I would have liked a tick box option to donate either directly to the club or to the Society. That still doesn't prevent me, or anyone else of course, from making such donations.

The option to help buy season tickets for those who are unemployed or on low incomes. Very commendable and I hope that helps a few in that position. However would such a donation, if covering the full cost of a ticket,  be seen by HMRC as being a commercial purchase and therefore liable for VAT?  I wouldn't want to think that season ticket holders who want to go down this route would lose a fair chunk of their donation to the Treasury. How would recipients be identifed? Would they have to have some link to the club or would any economically eligible person in an ML postcode be entitled? What happens to donations if all eligible and interested parties are given their tickets - does the surplus money just go to the club? 

I would have preferred a simple tick box set of options but thats just me.

As I say, these are all questions of detail not principle. I'll 100% be donating my season ticket cash in some form or other depending on answers to the above, especially as I'll have had a season back in person and a season't free TV  coverage. 

The video is top class.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

A marvellous gesture by our club, which has kept its word on season tickets and I echo everyone else's praise on that. 

However I have one or two questions on the detail. I would have liked a tick box option to donate either directly to the club or to the Society. That still doesn't prevent me, or anyone else of course, from making such donations.

The option to help buy season tickets for those who are unemployed or on low incomes. Very commendable and I hope that helps a few in that position. However would such a donation, if covering the full cost of a ticket,  be seen by HMRC as being a commercial purchase and therefore liable for VAT?  I wouldn't want to think that season ticket holders who want to go down this route would lose a fair chunk of their donation to the Treasury. How would recipients be identifed? Would they have to have some link to the club or would any economically eligible person in an ML postcode be entitled? What happens to donations if all eligible and interested parties are given their tickets - does the surplus money just go to the club? 

I would have preferred a simple tick box set of options but thats just me.

As I say, these are all questions of detail not principle. I'll 100% be donating my season ticket cash in some form or other depending on answers to the above, especially as I'll have had a season back in person and a season't free TV  coverage. 

The video is top class.

Pretty much agree with all you have said Dave. 

I would have preferred option for giving the club the money, but they made the choices available. Community Trust and low income/ unemployed scheme. 

I guess the million $ Q is how detached the club is from the Community Trust.  Say for example the trust benefits to the tune of £75k.  They could in theory use some of the money.  But I would rather donate to Well Society + a little to the low income / unemployed scheme.

The video is class and near as damn it brought a tear to my glass eye !

13 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I would have preferred option for giving the club the money

You still have that option of course, anyone can make one-off donations to the Well Society as they see fit. The club just chose to highlight other options.

For those wishing their donation to go straight to the Club, another option is simply to buy a second Season Ticket or a Junior ST if that cost suits better. I wonder if the preferred Club options are registered as Charities so any donations might not be taxed whereas MFC income will form part of overall taxable income. Whatever, it is a fantastic gesture by our Club. Great to see promises honoured.

I’m no accountant and I’m happy to be contradicted here... although I do have a wee bit of experience in the field... 

My understanding of the technicalities of the set-up are as follows:

- you make a £300 donation to the Community Trust, which is a registered charity and so pays no tax

- the CT then buys an MFC season ticket for someone who can’t afford it, as guided by you  when you made the donation 

- MFC presumably charges the CT the full £300 price for the season ticket, although MFC have also pledged to match this with providing a free season ticket to someone else, which is great

- MFC is a limited company and will pay corporation tax on any profits at the end of the year... but essentially MFC are getting full value of any donation you make to the CT for this purpose. And it really doesn’t have any cost to it, as the seats are mostly available anyway.

This is maybe a bit simplistic, but I think broadly right. I’m not sure of the VAT treatment, but this would only apply to MFC and not the CT.

It’s a really neat way to set it up I think, from a financial and PR perspective... as well as getting more season ticket holders on the books. Great work by the club.