Season 2020’21: Game 38: Ross County (H)

Andy_P

Yay, the season is over! The problem with this being such a forgettable one is that I'll forget it and end up all optimistic about next season in a couple of days. However, we will always have the memories of Chapman and pre steroids Lamie.

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

wtf is it with Lawless with set plays that he has to fire it as far to the back post as possible. Thats 3 so far and each time not a Motherwell Player can get anywhere near them

Lawless is one of many that should never play for us again. The worrying thing is we gave Crawford an extended contract and he is fuckin pish so that's the honking standard we will be offering contracts to. So instead of clearing out the substantial amount of dross we will probably keep most of it.

A dreadful finale to a generally dreadful season. Get a goal of a start, have forty-five minutes to see it out and still balls it up.

I find myself more annoyed than I perhaps should be given the initial aim of Alexander's reign has been achieved with a few games to spare but it feels like a wasteful end to the campaign. There have been opportunities in these last few games to blood one or two youngsters and learn of their capabilities in a match day scenario against several sides still with things to play for, or you could take the view that we're paying for these players on staff and will make use of them to  go for seventh and the additional revenue that brings the club.  It was obvious Alexander was going for the latter.

But here we are no seventh place finish, no additional prize money and little or nothing learned about the more youthful players in the squad.    A missed opportunity on several counts.

• Like 1

Well the end of a pretty dreadful season in every way, Alexander however has done what he came in to do. Without doubt we need some major rebuilding and hopefully won’t be seeing many of these players again although I’m still baffled as to why we’ve already given new contracts to players who I don’t  believe are good enough. Midfield really does stand out, we started with one that looked really strong and ended up with one that has to be as weak  as anything in the league. I won’t miss anyone that leaves bar Campbell and Cole and that in itself tells its own story. Let’s see who leaves, and comes in, other than that I’m deleting  this season from my memory, totally depressing.

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Well the end of a pretty dreadful season in every way, Alexander however has done what he came in to do. Without doubt we need some major rebuilding and hopefully won’t be seeing many of these players again although I’m still baffled as to why we’ve already given new contracts to players who I don’t  believe are good enough. Midfield really does stand out, we started with one that looked really strong and ended up with one that has to be as weak  as anything in the league. I won’t miss anyone that leaves bar Campbell and Cole and that in itself tells its own story. Let’s see who leaves, and comes in, other than that I’m deleting  this season from my memory, totally depressing.

if ever a season was made to be locked out of this was it.

20 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Exactly Steven Craigan said it on commentary today , hes watched us for weeks and although we've got results the play has been poor. 

Would you rather have had brilliant one touch football not getting the results and ending up relegated. 

We were favourites to go down in January, GA came in steadied the ship and got us safe with games to spare , a relegation fight us no place for silky football its about getting the points any way you can, 2 defeats in the last 12 games  is testimony to how well we done in that respect.

We had 3 rounds in the Europa league, missed a top 6 place by a couple of points, a couple of poor penalties away from a cup semi final, so I don't think the season has been as bad as people make out

Time for a summer rebuild and another season in the premiership, onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Would you rather have had brilliant one touch football not getting the results and ending up relegated. 

We were favourites to go down in January, GA came in steadied the ship and got us safe with games to spare , a relegation fight us no place for silky football its about getting the points any way you can, 2 defeats in the last 12 games  is testimony to how well we done in that respect.

We had 3 rounds in the Europa league, missed a top 6 place by a couple of points, a couple of poor penalties away from a cup semi final, so I don't think the season has been as bad as people make out

Time for a summer rebuild and another season in the premiership, onwards and upwards.

Perhaps read my reply in the context of the message I was replying to instead of the "would you rather " nonsense. Im well aware what GA was brought in to do and hes done it but what we've watched has been utter shite so as the poster to whom I was replying was rightly saying a win would merely paper over the cracks.

Well its job done as we've stayed up.  That was our number one priority. 8th place finish - our historical average.  A strange season which I'll be glad to forget, but we've had to endure far worse in the past.

As for today's 3 matches - results (not scorelines) absolutely predictable. Gallagher dropped again - that speaks volumes. Ross County had everything to play for and we didn't. That showed from the off. Ignoring skill, they were far more motivated, quicker, more competitive and worked far harder. Thats why they beat us and deservedly so. By comparison, we looked as though we'd hit the beach. Would Alan Campbell have made a difference? Very slightly but not enough to influence the outcome.  Our defence was poor and the midfield even worse.  Referee was woeful - very fitting, as they have been all season.

Still there were some positives. We didn't have to suffer it in person and GA will have learnt even more about his charges - what he does about them is a very different matter.  

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

A win today would only have papered over ever increasing cracks.

OTF you are actually quite knowledgeable    and i read all you comments with intrest ,   so what do you know thats going on inside that us laymen dont get to hear 

Big changes needed so need to say cheerio to 

Mcgloire 

Hastie 

Lawless ( if he can find a club ) 

Crawford ( if he can find a club ) 

Dunne 

Foley ( good championship player ) 

Long 

Chapman 

PJ Morrison 

McGuire 

Fox 

Cornelius ( never had a chance but better leaving the club for his own sake ) 

Johnston ( see above ) 

Must be at the head of the Q if QPR are loaning out or wanting to do a deal for Kelly . Don't envy GA the rebuild he has to bring in some quality players but he will be judged this season and the fans will be in the ground .I wish him well 

absolutely no way is Johnstone going anywhere unless he is sold. He is only 16 and has loads of time to improve. Great prospect but I think GA will call time on quite a few of the youngsters, just rumour mill but we will see in the coming few weeks and a picture on Devante Cole twitter clearing out his locker at the club (hopefully not a sign he has gone forever). 

We start next (and every) season in a relegation fight, which continues until we're not, hopefully. That's always the first aim, so I doubt it'll be anything other than scrapping for results type football from the word go. Alexander looks like a manager who's happy to get points any way he can.

35 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Big changes needed so need to say cheerio to 

Mcgloire 

Hastie 

Lawless ( if he can find a club ) 

Crawford ( if he can find a club ) 

Dunne 

Foley ( good championship player ) 

Long 

Chapman 

PJ Morrison 

McGuire 

Fox 

Cornelius ( never had a chance but better leaving the club for his own sake ) 

Johnston ( see above ) 

Must be at the head of the Q if QPR are loaning out or wanting to do a deal for Kelly . Don't envy GA the rebuild he has to bring in some quality players but he will be judged this season and the fans will be in the ground .I wish him well

No way should Dean Cornelius or Max Johnston be allowed to move on. They're due their chance.

Otherwise, however, your list is on the short side. Add to that, MacIver, Lamie (if he can find a club), O'Hara (if he can be moved on), Polworth, Semple, and Seedorf.  Moving on "in contract " players isn't easy though.

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

No way should Dean Cornelius or Max Johnston be allowed to move on. They're due their chance.

Otherwise, however, your list is on the short side. Add to that, MacIver, Lamie (if he can find a club), O'Hara (if he can be moved on), Polworth, Semple, and Seedorf.  Moving on "in contract " players isn't easy though.

Forgot about Polworth , Semple , Seedorf a case of out of sight out of mind we need a pool so I would keep Lamie and Ohara for that purpose . As for the two boys unless O'Donnell gets injured Johnstone has no chance of a game and Cornelius chance was this season but GA obviously wasn't impressed with him 

I hope we loan cornelius and Johnstone out next season,getting game time is what any young player needs,if there not going to get it with us then I'm sure there will be plenty of lower league clubs interested.in Johnstones case hes behind the guy that could easily be starting for us in the euros so a loan move would definitely be in his interest and there's no way cornelius can spend another season not getting a look in for someone like crawford.

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Forgot about Polworth , Semple , Seedorf a case of out of sight out of mind we need a pool so I would keep Lamie and Ohara for that purpose . As for the two boys unless O'Donnell gets injured Johnstone has no chance of a game and Cornelius chance was this season but GA obviously wasn't impressed with him 

So out of touch its laughable :lol:

6 minutes ago, mfc said:

I hope we loan cornelius and Johnstone out next season,getting game time is what any young player needs,if there not going to get it with us then I'm sure there will be plenty of lower league clubs interested.in Johnstones case hes behind the guy that could easily be starting for us in the euros so a loan move would definitely be in his interest and there's no way cornelius can spend another season not getting a look in for someone like crawford.

Development has to change given reserve football won’t feature again next season.

Debateable that reserve football in Scotland serves any purpose & it’s arguable our development players need to play within an environment with a competitive edge.

• Andy_P locked this topic