Motherwell Girls

Gaag

Girls teams are doing okay,due to a change to Summer Football next year there has been a short season this year finishing in Dec.New season will run from March till Nov,July off for holidays.

u13s won their league last week,finishing 3 points ahead of Falkirk.U15s will play a title decider on Friday night against Falkirk,both teams on equal points at the moment.U17s (top of the league at the moment)are due to play a title decider against Dunfermline on Sunday,Motherwell needing a draw to win the league.

Well done to the under 13's and good luck to the 15's and 17's. Wrote an article on the under 17's and the womens team about a month or so ago, some very promising footballers indeed. Think the womens team will benefit a lot in a few years when the girls start to move up.

Are you able to post the article up here for us to have a wee read?

aye mate i'll have a look for it when im next in uni.

edit: here you go mate, managed to find it. rough copy right enough!

On a cold Tuesday night on an astro-turf pitch in Wishaw, you don’t expect an international level footballer to be kicking about, let alone a squad of them.

It has been a long time coming before any Motherwell supporter could say that their club had a realistic chance of winning a treble without their nose growing a foot-long . Similarly the notion of having the Lanarkshire side’s captain and vice-captain in the Scotland squad is also as far fetched.

Well not anymore.

Reluctantly coming off the pitch, I greeted the ‘Well captain before retreating into the warmth.

Lucy Clark is on her way to leading her Motherwell team to glory as the Dossers’ close in on three league titles.

“I suppose I’m a bit like Chris Porter,” says Lucy.

“I’d like to be more like Julie Fleeting, although I have a long way to go yet.”

Indeed at the age of 15, Lucy has every chance of emulating both her hero’s as she captains a Motherwell side un-defeated in league competition.

“At first I had to play in a boys team.

“I played for Kirkfield United from the age of five, so I became interested really quickly. I also went to every Motherwell game I could with my dad, so it seemed natural to progress into playing when I was older.

“It’s so much more special that I’m playing for Motherwell knowing that I have supported

them all my life. It is only recently that we have became a Motherwell team so it means that bit more. Although when your out on the park you forget about it and just try to get on with playing well.”

“you can see people getting better and playing well in training,” explained Lucy, pointing outside through the frosted glass.

“Different girls have started to be called up to the national team in their age groups and you can notice the players that will make the A squad, and really could make a living out of this.”

Lucy is a product of the acclaimed youth academy at Motherwell, which in the men’s game has produced such players as Stephen Pearson, Steven Hammell and James McFadden to name but a few.

The club has teams for girls from the ages of 13 all the way through to the recently formed Motherwell Ladies. Despite the Women’s team not having the same success as their younger counterparts, everything is in place for the team to improve and grow.

Asking where she saw her future, it is surprising, yet heart-warming, to hear what the Motherwell under-17 captain had to say.

“I want to move onto a ladies team, hopefully Motherwell and see the team go from strength to strength

and move up the leagues. Also keep trying to get into the national squad and see if I can get better.”

Another young hopeful coming through at Fir Park is Emily Thomson. The 15-year old schoolgirl from Motherwell has been captained 18 times by her country, and is vice-captain of the team she has supported all her life.

Emily said, “We are both captain and vice captain and I think it helps that we are both Motherwell fans, because we know what it’s all about and it helps the girls and helps the team do better.

“Only a few of the girls in the team support Motherwell, but they all go along to watch the team.”

Youth Officer and father of Emily, George Thomson, spoke of the clubs vision with the girls and ladies squads.

“I’m confident that things will continue in a positive manner. Motherwell is unique in that over a very short period time the set up has grown to five teams in the space of five years. Motherwell are now switching on to they have the chance of tapping into Lanarkshire in a big way, with over 80 females involved spread over soon to be 7 teams.

“We are hoping that we are going to have some success and pay Motherwell back for some of the faith that was shown in the girls.”

The under-13 squad are leading the way for the rest of the girls, currently sitting with maximum wins their division, with their latest win being a 17-0 drubbing of Stirling Girls.

Walking back into the chilling cold, both Emily and Lucy sprinted off just in time to play for the under 17’s against the Ladies team.

It was unsurprising to see how professional the young players were on the park, and it was possibly even less surprising to see the Motherwell Ladies losing 2-1 at the hands of the young Steelwomen.

Things for the ladies will certainly improve with the maturity of their young protégés’, as a conveyor belt of talent continues to flow from Fir Park.

For the ’Well girls the futures bright, and with any luck the future will also be Claret and Amber.

Im the captain of motherwell ladies and we have a scottish cup game on sunday if we win we play celtic premier in the next round which is a great incentive for the team.

See! I knew the players read this forum :ph34r:

If you or anyone else has the time, and would like to have your own blog / section, let me know and we'll put it on :lol:

Good luck for the big game

U15 girls are playing tonight on the astro at St Andrews High school in Coatbridge,a win tonight gives them the league title,kick off 6-30.Good luck girls from all at the 13s and 17s.

Good luck tonight, ladies! Bring the title home!

A big well done to all the girls and backroom staff.

I seem to recall 'Flow promised you a page on the Official website and you have now earned that privilege. We all know he's been very busy with a number of fish to fry but perhaps its time to hold him to that commitment. Time to do your bit Flow!

Motherwell ladies lost 2-1 to dons ladies yesterday. We gave ourselfs a mountain a climb by given away a pen then going 2-0 down from a long range effort. We pulled a goal back with 15mins to go but couldn't find the equaliser. :ph34r:

We should all be proud of what all our girls and ladies teams have achieved this season, well done to you all, victories and title deciders in a 'well strip the things that dreams are made of.