It was 30 years ago today

Spiderpig

OK who feels old now, 30 years ago today we were all looking forward to what would be the best day ever as a Motherwell fan, to watch us lift the Scottish cup.

What a weekend that turned out to be, although the details got a bit blurred after about 9pm on the Saturday night , then all of a sudden it was Monday and I had to go back to work. 

Hopefully we can win another trophy soon, 30 years between them is far too long.

• Like 1

As frustrating and sad that it’s now 30 years since we lifted the Scottish Cup, I will be forever grateful that it happened in my lifetime. Some absolute all time Motherwell FC legends in that team.

52 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

As frustrating and sad that it’s now 30 years since we lifted the Scottish Cup, I will be forever grateful that it happened in my lifetime. Some absolute all time Motherwell FC legends in that team.

What is more frustrating is that there have been better Motherwell teams since that have failed to get anywhere close...

Many of my all time favourite Well players were in that squad and would walk straight into our team now.

defence - McCart (or his son) Paterson, Nihjolt , Boyd 

Midfield  - Young Uncle Phil,  O'Neil , Bobby Russell, Kirky, Dolan, Griffin. 

Up front - Dougie, Cooper 

Most importantly "when the well went up to lift the Scottish cup" we were there.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Many of my all time favourite Well players were in that squad and would walk straight into our team now.

defence - McCart (or his son) Paterson, Nihjolt , Boyd 

Midfield  - Young Uncle Phil,  O'Neil , Bobby Russell, Kirky, Dolan, Griffin. 

Up front - Dougie, Cooper 

Most importantly "when the well went up to lift the Scottish cup" we were there.

Are you sure about Boyd, not sure he played for us, he's spent the  last 30 years erasing Motherwell from his memory :nod:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

What is more frustrating is that there have been better Motherwell teams since that have failed to get anywhere close...

I don’t know if I’d agree with that but I can see the argument for that. The 94/95 team that finished 2nd was pretty special and had some top quality players, but so did the ‘91 team.

You think about Arnott, Kirk, Paterson, McCart and Maxwell who were really good solid players at the level they were at plus Cooper - who was genuine quality- plus Phil O’Donnell who was still breaking through but was already well on the way to be a top class player, which he would have been had it not been for injuries. Not to mention Nijholt (an excellent player) and Colin O’Neill (a Motherwell cult hero) and even Tom Boyd (a seriously good player even if he’s since shown himself to be a complete Celtic wank, the type of you’d expect to encounter in the Railway Tavern).

That was a seriously good team.

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

1993/94 for me. Proved their consistency over the course of the season and came bloody close to winning the league, closer than most of us probably remember. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The best Well team I've seen was the onev of the mid 70s. Guys  like Watson, Millar, McVie, McClaren, Davidson, Marinello  Graham and   Pettigrew. That team had everything but won nothing.

Same for me. A great mix of dig and skill.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:32 PM, MJC_mkII said:

I don’t know if I’d agree with that but I can see the argument for that. The 94/95 team that finished 2nd was pretty special and had some top quality players, but so did the ‘91 team.

You think about Arnott, Kirk, Paterson, McCart and Maxwell who were really good solid players at the level they were at plus Cooper - who was genuine quality- plus Phil O’Donnell who was still breaking through but was already well on the way to be a top class player, which he would have been had it not been for injuries. Not to mention Nijholt (an excellent player) and Colin O’Neill (a Motherwell cult hero) and even Tom Boyd (a seriously good player even if he’s since shown himself to be a complete Celtic wank, the type of you’d expect to encounter in the Railway Tavern).

That was a seriously good team.

The two teams that spring to mind are the 93/94 team and the 2012/13 team. The 93/94 team was better than the 94/95 team despite the fact they finished 3rd rather than 2nd.

The 2012/13 team could be breathtaking, beating Celtic comfortably at Fir Park twice in three months. The cup defeats that season were 2-0 at Ibrox in the league cup to a third division Rangers team and losing a third round Scottish cup replay at Fir Park to an Aberdeen team that we then scudded 4-1 a fortnight later in the league with Fraser Kerr and Zaine Francis-Angol at full back. Celtic won the Scottish Cup that year, fair enough but St Mirren won the league cup with Craig Samson in goal...

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:46 PM, Kmcalpin said:

The best Well team I've seen was the onev of the mid 70s. Guys  like Watson, Millar, McVie, McClaren, Davidson, Marinello  Graham and   Pettigrew. That team had everything but won nothing.

I still have nightmares about the 2 Semi defeats, the replay v Airdrie when Stuart Rennie was penalised for taking too many steps with the ball and the 'JPR Gordon' Rangers game. 

• Like 1

I'd argue that the 93/94 team were definitely better. Case could be made for 2012/13 team. Thing with cups is that the best teams don't always win them...

If you added Lambert and Coyne to the 91 team they would have been a force, think you could argue you'd need to add more from 91 team to 93/94 to challenge, player for player.

I'd argue that the 93/94 team were definitely better. Case could be made for 2012/13 team. Thing with cups is that the best teams don't always win them...

Correct, lucky teams win cups, the 93/94 team was the closest we have been to winning the league since 1932, finishing 3rd , I think 4 points behind Rangers in a 44 game season and we were still in it up to the last 3 or 4 games.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 1:22 PM, MelvinBragg said:

The two teams that spring to mind are the 93/94 team and the 2012/13 team. The 93/94 team was better than the 94/95 team despite the fact they finished 3rd rather than 2nd.

Never saw the 70's team as I started coming to Fir Park in 1982.  The 93/94 team was the best in my time.  Pretty much ever player in that team was a candidate for a best Motherwell side of the last 40 years.

Our best chance of actually winning the cup again was the McFadden era team that lost in the semi final to Rangers despite being 2-1 at half time.  We were unlucky that day and got punished for a few mistakes (and that Dutch donkey Konterman hitting a once in a lifetime wonder shot).  A poor Dunfermline team awaited in the Final and I'm certain a Faddy inspired Motherwell would have won it. 

I think the big disappointment is the 4 finals we've been in since we've hardly kicked a ball in any of them.  (1-12 on agg)

17 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Both....we've had far better keepers in Ruddy, Randolph and Carson since then in my opinion

Of the two I thought Thompson was the better keeper, but your right as far as Ruddy, and Randolph  are concerned,  not sure  about Carson as for me he would be on a par with Thompson.

• Like 1