It was 30 years ago today

Spiderpig

On 5/26/2021 at 10:31 AM, 0Neils40yarder said:

Both....we've had far better keepers in Ruddy, Randolph and Carson since then in my opinion

Dykstra would be my number 2 pick after Randolph.  Ruddy is slightly over rated I think, his 2nd loan spell wasn't as good as the first, and for me I'd pick Gilliespie over Carson every week.

But hey, just my opinion!

Randolph and Ruddy are my top 2 picks and I can't separate them, although they were very different types. Ruddy's best was better than Randolph's and on his day he was unbeatable. However his worst was worse than Randolph's and he was prone to the very rare error, whereas Randolph wasn't. Randolph was the steadier of the two.  

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Dykstra would be my number 2 pick after Randolph.  Ruddy is slightly over rated I think, his 2nd loan spell wasn't as good as the first, and for me I'd pick Gilliespie over Carson every week.

I will probably be shot down in flames but I think if either ruddy or Randolph were our keeper in 1994 , we would have won the league that year. Only my opinion mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

I thought Goram was fucking shite for us. Hated having him in the team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That would be my recollection too. Undoubtedly a brilliant keeper when at his peak, but well past his best when he played for us. I would have t say Randolph was probably the best I've seen for us in terms of consistency and ability. I would also say that he is not my favourite Motherwell goalkeeper with Dykstra, Maxwell and Rennie vying for that accolade.

10 hours ago, The African said:

That would be my recollection too. Undoubtedly a brilliant keeper when at his peak, but well past his best when he played for us. I would have t say Randolph was probably the best I've seen for us in terms of consistency and ability. I would also say that he is not my favourite Motherwell goalkeeper with Dykstra, Maxwell and Rennie vying for that accolade.

Ah, Stuart Rennie, what a keeper he was, plus he had a beard that would put today's fashionistas to shame.

I'd add Keith McRae to your list but you might not be as old as me.

3 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Ah, Stuart Rennie, what a keeper he was, plus he had a beard that would put today's fashionistas to shame.

Keith McRae was just before my time and I am prettty sure I never saw him play. I might have to dig out a couple of books from storage to check though. I do recall 'well fans talking about him and he was undoubtedly a bit of a legend at the club.

19 minutes ago, grumpy said:

It's  impossible to compare the abilities of players of different eras as the game has changed so much . With keepers that's even more so, today's balls are much lighter, travel faster, move in the air a lot more than the lumps of leather McRae and Rennie had to deal with.

As you get older and are lucky enough to have seen McRae and Rennie play  you thought they were great but then when you see the likes of Randolph,Ruddy,  Djikstra, Thompson, etc and now Kelly and Carson, you realise the modern era keepers are  every bit as good

But as I said a direct comparison is Impossible so for me they were all great keepers for us but in their own eras.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, Ya Bezzer! said:

53 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

It's  impossible to compare the abilities of players of different eras as the game has changed so much . With keepers that's even more so, today's balls are much lighter, travel faster, move in the air a lot more than the lumps of leather McRae and Rennie had to deal with.

As you get older and are lucky enough to have seen McRae and Rennie play  you thought they were great but then when you see the likes of Randolph,Ruddy,  Djikstra, Thompson, etc and now Kelly and Carson, you realise the modern era keepers are  every bit as good

But as I said a direct comparison is Impossible so for me they were all great keepers for us but in their own eras.

We really have been quite lucky to have quite a number of very good keepers over the years but we've also had more than our fair share of bummers over the years . Woods, Samson, neilson and   twardzik etc oh and Hollis as well.

18 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Very true, and I wasn't really comparing keepers ability, just mentioning my favourites. 

I will say though, the Rennie held his place in the team with a couple of different managers despite being part time when the rest of the squad were full time, and McRae played outfield as well as in goals, so I suspect, with absolutely no evidence to support my arguement, that McRae would have been a very good "modern" goalie as he would be comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Your arguement about the lighter ball is valid, but the reverse is also true, could today's goaly cope with the physicality of sixties / seventies football when the keeper was fair game for the opposition forwards to barge, blooter or generally abuse.

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be. :D

I liked Shuggie swinging on the cross bar would wear a Rangers top under his Well top pull off great saves against Celtic and show the blue top did the same with a Celtic top against Rangers.

I remember a game at Fir Park when Ally Mac shouted shaking his fist at Shuggie shouts don’t you shake yer fist at me! 
Oh an he was a good Goalie as well!

I liked Shuggie swinging on the cross bar would wear a Rangers top under his Well top pull off great saves against Celtic and show the blue top did the same with a Celtic top against Rangers.
 I remember a game at Fir Park when Ally Mac shouted shaking his fist at Shuggie shouts don’t you shake yer fist at me! 
Oh an he was a good Goalie as well!

Not so sure that was the case mate. My recollections were he wore a blue jersey against Celtic and green when playing Rangers. Not official colours hidden under his goalie strip. Just sufficient to wind them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Not so sure that was the case mate. My recollections were he wore a blue jersey against Celtic and green when playing Rangers. Not official colours hidden under his goalie strip. Just sufficient to wind them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he certainly did that. Wind them up

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 5:50 AM, grumpy said:

I must be auld tae two of the best for that time. Over the years we have had good great and brilliant keepers. And some not so