Stevie O'D

grizzlyg

took time to settle in but with new contract (and probably new captain) it's great for us to be represented at the euros. Old firm loving media hyping Patterson (who will become a big player) but heres hoping Stevie has a great euros. Is also great profile for the Well

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

took time to settle in but with new contract (and probably new captain) it's great for us to be represented at the euros. Old firm loving media hyping Patterson (who will become a big player) but heres hoping Stevie has a great euros. Is also great profile for the Well

Absolutely 

• Thanks 1

Aye, Patterson will become an important player for Scotland, in time, but only if the young player knuckles down and continues his development, but as Grizzlyg said the ugly sisters media hyping the young guy who’s played 8 full games, I sincerely hope SOD can see off the young pup n keep his, and Well’s stock high during the euros!

• Thanks 1

The club's recent social media video of being at home with the O'Donnell's was fantastic.

I gave him a hard time when he gave a rather passive "it's not the end of the world if we lose this game" interview around 2 months ago (or something to that effect) but he seems like a great guy. A worthy captain next season.

• Like 2

From a scotland point of view it's great that there's a young player in the squad with potential that we can hopefully get years of good service out of but patterson's time isn't now,o'donnell hasn't let us down anytime he's played for us and played his part in getting us to the euros,i fully expect him to be in the team for our first group game.

• Like 1

Hard to disagree with what has been said well ok maybe no they grizzlyg jokes:P

SoD make a great captain of Motherwell? I think he could be at least a lot better then some others have been. I base being a great club captain on one of our best captain’s this club has had both on and off the park and that was the great Joe Wark. 

• Like 3

I really don't see anything in O'Donnell that makes him every remotely worthy of being a Captain?. Just because he plays for Scotland means nothing that should conclude he should be given the captaincy. I don't see anything in the videos the club has produced or evidence when he is playing that he has taken on the mantle when Dec wasn't playing, not even slightly.

I would argue Kelly and Watt have done much more in dragging the club up from relegation not just with their play but their attitude and ability to get others involved around them. Watt was willing to play through an injury (potentially leading to being out longer) and come on score a goal and turn a performance around is a particular trait I would want in a player who wants to be captain. Someone who is willing to sacrifice themselves for the club to get a result amongst other things. I don't see that in O'Donnell.

I would also credit Kelly in turning our fortunes around at the back constantly talking to players and making sure the players are concentrating and cutting out mistakes, guy is non stop from the first to the last minute giving advice, guidance and kicking arse when necessary. I think this has given our defence some much needed confidence in the latter stages of the season

39 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I really don't see anything in O'Donnell that makes him every remotely worthy of being a Captain?. Just because he plays for Scotland means nothing that should conclude he should be given the captaincy. I don't see anything in the videos the club has produced or evidence when he is playing that he has taken on the mantle when Dec wasn't playing, not even slightly.

It's hard for us, as fans, to know players' personalities and characters. Sometimes a player's persona on the pitch is totally different to that in the dressing room. A do or die type on the pitch may be a disruptive barrackroom lawyer off it. The manager will know best.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

It's hard for us, as fans, to know players' personalities and characters. Sometimes a player's persona on the pitch is totally different to that in the dressing room. A do or die type on the pitch may be a disruptive barrackroom lawyer off it. The manager will know best.

Absolutely agree 100%  and I should have mentioned all that in my post. I just don't see this in O'Donnell. Hopefully the Manager will pick someone capable of stepping up and being the leader, we have missed that badly.

44 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Exactly. I think it's easy for fans to look at the shoutiest guy on the pitch and think that's what a captain needs to be. A captain is the one who is a often a go-between between the players and coaching staff and is someone who has influence in the dressing room. In any team it's often the calmer more mature head that gets the message across. O'Donnell might be that guy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

And now joke time,  I walked into a bakers and asked 'Is that a doughnut or a meringue?', baker says 'no you're right...it's a doughnut'   ba boom

a was in the same bakers    n asked the wummin  " you got a hot pie hen  ? " she said " i son " so a said " well staun  back fae the oven "  BOOM BOOM  

• Haha 1

The selection of Paterson really boils my piss. Eight first team games and he is in the squad. Is that because Rangers had only one other player there? To be a defender for 8 games in the team that wins the league by miles is not exactly someone who has been put under any pressure. Reminds me of Jack Hendry who played half a season with Dundee who were at the bottom of the league and under pressure every week - no where near Scotland squad and was then transferred to Celtic and only played intermittently for the rest of the season but got into the Scotland team.

Old firm bias holds this country back. The press touting their players. No doubt we will now get extensive coverage of the Lowland League next season and there will be some wonder kids we will be told about and then never hear of again after next season.

I hope O'Donnell does really well and keeps this recent media darling on the sidelines.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sinjy said:

I hope O'Donnell does really well and keeps this recent media darling on the sidelines.

Clarke has never been one to pander really, so I don't see him caving now. Having the kid along for the experience and as back up is fine, but he's never starting unless O'Donnell is injured or whatever.

3 hours ago, sinjy said:

The selection of Paterson really boils my piss. Eight first team games and he is in the squad. Is that because Rangers had only one other player there? To be a defender for 8 games in the team that wins the league by miles is not exactly someone who has been put under any pressure. Reminds me of Jack Hendry who played half a season with Dundee who were at the bottom of the league and under pressure every week - no where near Scotland squad and was then transferred to Celtic and only played intermittently for the rest of the season but got into the Scotland team.

Old firm bias holds this country back. The press touting their players. No doubt we will now get extensive coverage of the Lowland League next season and there will be some wonder kids we will be told about and then never hear of again after next season.

Agree 100%. Taken at face value, this means that Paterson, promising though he may be, is more talented and experienced than David Turnbull was, even after the number of games he played for us before his operations. Presumably he's viewed as a once in a generation talent. Yes, they are different types of player.  Paterson's financial value will consequently rise, boosted by a few Scotland appearances. Once he almost becomes a regular start for the national team, he'll start to suffer from various injuries that affects his availability. Its always been this way. The SFA needs to keep Rangers and Celtic sweet. Conspiracy theory on my part - maybe.

• Like 1

There's a lot more competition in midfield than there is at right back. I've got nothing against including a few youngsters when there are expanded squads, but I'd be surprised to Paterson anywhere near a starting slot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Turnbull play, though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sinjy said:

In general, I agree with this...however I think its pretty clear to see that Patterson and Gilmour are going to be tremendous players. At right back, we have a real problem, as SOD (for me) isnt good enough and his deputy Palmer even worse, so I can fully see the logic in taking another youngster along as back up. I'd have done the same with 3rd choice keeper, rather than take McLaughlin along.

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

In general, I agree with this...however I think its pretty clear to see that Patterson and Gilmour are going to be tremendous players. At right back, we have a real problem, as SOD (for me) isnt good enough and his deputy Palmer even worse, so I can fully see the logic in taking another youngster along as back up. I'd have done the same with 3rd choice keeper, rather than take McLaughlin along.

You have clearly missed the point.  McLaughlin is a Rangers ( reserve player) so thoroughly deserves to be in the squad. Why take a youngster when you have an experienced Rangers player. My piss is boiled again by his selection. Pandering to the OF has held us back  for years. If McLaughlin and Paterson were not in the squad then there would have been no one for the sychofants in the press to write about. 

• Like 2

Wasn’t a massive fan of SOD but he’s really grown on me and scored some big goals also. Still expect more from an international but he’s probably a decent player for our level and hopefully in a better team next year be even better for us. Hope he has a cracking euros and probably earned his spot with his international performances recently. However if you’re talking about captains it’s got to be Jake Carroll if fit. Fantastic player and always talking I’m sure a few players mentioned it and coaching staff and it came as a surprise to me but he seems to be enjoying his time here and hopefully has a injury free season next year.

I don't really have much of an issue with either Patterson or McLaughlin to be honest and we should not confuse the priorities of the Scottish media with those of the Scotland coach.

Don't get me wrong I'd much rather Liam Kelly was in there as 3rd choice keeper but unless something catastrophic happens then the 3rd choice goalkeeper isn't going to play whether that's McLaughlin, Kelly or whoever.  Both for reasons of continuity when it comes to training, relationships with the other two keepers and I'm sure there will be an element of gratitude towards McLaughlin for hauling his arse around Europe up to a dozen times a season with Scotland knowing he isn't going to play, I can see why Clarke would pick him over another goalie.

I also welcome Clarke's use of the additional squad members available to him by bringing the talents of Gilmour, Turnbull and of course Patterson into the fold.  These will have been something of bonus picks for him so I applaud him in bringing in three players that will feature heavily in future to see them integrate with the squad over the course of a month or so, perhaps get them capped in of the two friendlies or against England when we're 3-0 up with five minutes left...

My biggest issue with Patterson is the that the emergence of someone pretty prominent who spells Patterson with two tt's is only likely to encourage the trait and as everyone knows spelling Paterson with two tt's ensures the guilty party will sooner or later burn in hell for all eternity. Possibly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supermarv said:

Wasn’t a massive fan of SOD but he’s really grown on me and scored some big goals also. Still expect more from an international but he’s probably a decent player for our level and hopefully in a better team next year be even better for us. Hope he has a cracking euros and probably earned his spot with his international performances recently. However if you’re talking about captains it’s got to be Jake Carroll if fit. Fantastic player and always talking I’m sure a few players mentioned it and coaching staff and it came as a surprise to me but he seems to be enjoying his time here and hopefully has a injury free season next year.

All about opinions pal but I dont even see Carroll as a first team starter never mind a captain   not a fan but just my opinion. COYW