Stevie O'D

grizzlyg

On 5/29/2021 at 8:45 PM, sinjy said:

The selection of Paterson really boils my piss. Eight first team games and he is in the squad. Is that because Rangers had only one other player there? To be a defender for 8 games in the team that wins the league by miles is not exactly someone who has been put under any pressure. Reminds me of Jack Hendry who played half a season with Dundee who were at the bottom of the league and under pressure every week - no where near Scotland squad and was then transferred to Celtic and only played intermittently for the rest of the season but got into the Scotland team.

Old firm bias holds this country back. The press touting their players. No doubt we will now get extensive coverage of the Lowland League next season and there will be some wonder kids we will be told about and then never hear of again after next season.

I hope O'Donnell does really well and keeps this recent media darling on the sidelines.

OK, but he's the best right back prospect in the country by miles and we aren't exactly flush with right backs, hence O'Donnell getting a game.

I probably wouldn't have picked him just yet but the boy is a talent so I'm not losing the rag over it.  In fact I think it's quite refreshing for us to pick Gilmour, Patterson, Turnbull etc in the squad. Seems to me there is an opportunity right now with the exciting young players coming through to go from being a dutiful but slightly turgid international team to something better on the eye.

Your point about Hendry doesn't make much sense.  He's had more caps at Oostende than Celtic and do other countries pick players from teams at the bottom of their leagues? Don't think there is going to be many Elche and Huesca players in the Spain squad.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

The big man starts today, Gallagher on the bench.

Edit - that actually might not be the case, Livescore have got the line-up out but it's not been officially released anywhere yet.

BBC listed 12 subs and Gallagher was not one of them.

4 minutes ago, hmlarsson said:

When was last time a Motherwell player played for Scotland in a World or European Championship? 

And when was last time two Motherwell players was included for the Scotland squad in a World or European Championship?

Tommy Coyne was the first Motherwell player to play in a World Cup - but that was for Ireland.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I cannot fuckin believe McGregor got dropped today. By far and away our best ball playing midfielder, dropped for McTominay to kick people. 

I agree with that i would have had McGregor in the team,clarke has cost us today,I get we don't have great options up front or out wide but we should have went with two up front and went for it from the off,we have three games to get as many points as possible and we were far to negative.

6 minutes ago, mfc said:

I agree with that i would have had McGregor in the team,clarke has cost us today,I get we don't have great options up front or out wide but we should have went with two up front and went for it from the off,we have three games to get as many points as possible and we were far to negative.

Far too negative, but ultimately far too pish no threat up top, dodgy defending and wtf was Marshall doing that far up the pitch, let's face it Scotland are brutal, my TV was off after the 2nd goal. 

This was our best chance to get off to a flier and get 3 points, and effectively 1 foot in the knockout stages and as usual we fecked it up, we won't get any points in the group England and Croatia to come will see to that.

Big Dec may not be the flavour of the month on here, but  I reckon he wouldn't have conceded the first goal.

Our big issue coming into this competition was lack of fire power, and we are no closer to solving that one.

Of course, this is Scotland and those of us old enough to remember other finals know that we'll find a way to give ourselves hope going into the final game and then find a unique way to be eliminated.

Well that’s that for this tournament for Scotland I’m afraid. Far too negative a line up there and got what they deserved. If anything they’ve got Marshall to thank for keeping the score line respectable with some really good saves. Can’t blame him for either goals either, you can question the defending in the build up but both cracking finishes.

On a side note, James McFadden’s commentary was horrific. Ten minutes to go, 0-2 down and he’s like a wee boy at his first ever football match all bright eyed and innocent giving it “all we need is a goal here da’ we can still do it”.

Dismal stuff.

2 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Well that’s that for this tournament for Scotland I’m afraid. Far too negative a line up there and got what they deserved. If anything they’ve got Marshall to thank for keeping the score line respectable with some really good saves. Can’t blame him for either goals either, you can question the defending in the build up but both cracking finishes.

On a side note, James McFadden’s commentary was horrific. Ten minutes to go, 0-2 down and he’s like a wee boy at his first ever football match all bright eyed and innocent giving it “all we need is a goal here da’ we can still do it”.

Dismal stuff.

Marshall was criminal for the second goal. Five yards from the 5 centre circle when the ball was in the middle of the other half. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Of course, this is Scotland and those of us old enough to remember other finals know that we'll find a way to give ourselves hope going into the final game and then find a unique way to be eliminated.

I am old enough but I honestly don't think we will  be our usual glorious failures this time, just normal not good enough failures.

Far better Scotland teams than this Current mob have failed to make the knockout stages and that run is not going to change anytime soon

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Marshall was criminal for the second goal. Five yards from the 5 centre circle when the ball was in the middle of the other half. 

It was a great strike, so I think a bit unfair to blame him. As I said you can make a case for the ‘defending’ in the run up to it, and Jack Hendry(?) has to take a lot more blame for that than Marshall.

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I am old enough but I honestly don't think we will  be our usual glorious failures this time, just normal not good enough failures.

In most tournaments I'd agree with that.

With the weird 24 team format (which is ridiculous for a competition that used to have only 8 finalists) one win is likely sufficient to move on. So I can see us losing our next game then taking a 1 - 0 lead in the final game and conceding late.

What it won't be a is a "glorious failure".

45 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Tommy Coyne was the first Motherwell player to play in a World Cup - but that was for Ireland.

So if this is the first time we have a starter for Scotland (and two in the squad) for a championship, it must be a massive achievement for the club!

1 minute ago, hmlarsson said:

So if this is the first time we have a starter for Scotland (and two in the squad) for a championship, it must be a massive achievement for the club!

It is. We've had players like Gary McAllister who we developed in the youth system and captained Scotland in Euro 96 but he wasn't capped until after he left Motherwell.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

It was a great strike, so I think a bit unfair to blame him. As I said you can make a case for the ‘defending’ in the run up to it, and Jack Hendry(?) has to take a lot more blame for that than Marshall.

Agree it was a great strike but he doesn’t have the opportunity if Marshall is in a decent position. I don’t really understand what he was that far up the park.  He had a few good saves so I’m not blaming him for the defeat. Like someone else mentioned I think our initial line up and approach was too negative. 

16 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Hendry taking that shot was naive in the extreme, but just heard the Czech goalscorer saying he'd noticed Marshall doing the same thing in the first half, so he was ready to go for it when the chance came. 

In the modern game it's stupidity for a goalkeeper to be that far out,you see it all the time now where players try the long ranger if a goalie is off there line,what hendry was trying when the easy pass out wide was on but that just sums us up,not good enough and decision making all wrong.

5 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Hendry taking that shot was naive in the extreme, but just heard the Czech goalscorer saying he'd noticed Marshall doing the same thing in the first half, so he was ready to go for it when the chance came. 

He slots the easy ball to the right and it never happens but had it gone in we would be talking about that goal instead.