Stevie O'D

grizzlyg

I thought O'Donnell played the same way he plays for Motherwell He isn't the best right back in the world he's a solid SPL player.  I thought some of the EFL superstars underperformed though.  Disappointed in McTominey in particular

My only gripe with O’Donnell was that he didn’t take players on but then again that’s not really something I expect of him. His forte is making runs up the right into space and crossing. Several times our midfield had blinkers on and didn’t give him the pass into space to make the run but instead forced it down the left side. 

O'Donnell seemed nervy the first while, but after that he didn't do anything particularly wrong.
There were players from EPL teams who were completely anonymous.
At least O'Donnell didn't hide.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu92 said:

I don't necessarily blame Hendry for taking the shot on, but there should've been a bit more discipline from Cooper and Hanley to drop a few yards back to the halfway line. We were starting to build a good bit of pressure on them after half-time, but ultimately just a rush of blood has cost us as defensively we switched off.

Sorry but I do blame Hendry …… when he steps in an drives forward with the ball it creates an extra man in there and one of the Czech has to come out of the defensive line to challenge him. Just look at the space that creates for SOD to drive into if Hendry just plays the simple pass. He should have never have taken that shot on.

• Like 2

I thought SOD done okay in amongst some real underperforming English Premiership n the green ugly sister player, I thought McTominey was tosh, Christie invisible n Marshall’s positioning for the 2nd goal amateurish but however in his defence his other saves in the match saved us from a humbling, 

However just wait for the clamouring from the orange brigade n Glasgow media for boy wonder to start against the English, with the cry “he’s scored in Europe” in one of his 8 games.

Clarke has to start  with DT and Gilmour (and I realise he hasn’t had many games either but he’s in tbe Chelsea first team rather than orange boy wonder who’s in the Rangers squad..big difference IMO) alongside McGinn and I hope Tierney is fit, he could make a difference.

11 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Sorry but I do blame Hendry …… when he steps in an drives forward with the ball it creates an extra man in there and one of the Czech has to come out of the defensive line to challenge him. Just look at the space that creates for SOD to drive into if Hendry just plays the simple pass. He should have never have taken that shot on.

He scored from a not too dissimilar position against the Dutch and had already hit the cross bar in this game. I agree that he should've moved it to the right, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and you can understand why he went for goal himself. How often do we (both as Motherwell and Scotland supporters) moan about players not shooting enough when they have the opportunity? 

As said previously, I think that more blame lies with Hanley and Cooper for conceding than it does Marshall or Hendry. When Hendry steps out with the ball, that should be the cue for the other two to take a step back and shuffle over. If Hanley is starting five yards deeper then Schick doesn't get to hit it first time. It is glaringly obvious when you see the view from behind the goal.

The performance was shite.  Some people seem to think pinning that on O'Donnell is the right thing to do.

Well, Stevie O'Donnell is a Motherwell player, he has an excuse for being shite.  What excuse did McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Hanley etc have?  

We keep hearing Scotland have a great midfield but we don't.  We have a midfielders playing at bigger clubs.  But when Scotland play the midfield is invariable the worst part of the team.  Armstrong, good club player. But he has about 4 good performances for Scotland out of 26.  And don't get me started on how Christie and McGregor are starting over Turnbull.  McGinn and McTominay were fucking useless.

I kept hearing O'Donnell didn't offer anything attacking on the right.  Well the Czechs 2nd goal came about because O'Donnell was in a great attacking position and Hendry didn't use him.  Had a shot from 35 yards out in a nowhere position and we all know how that turned out.  

Let's be honest though, O'Donnell looked uncomfortable.  But he wasn't hiding like plenty other players out there.  One of the reasons he looked uncomfortable was the Czechs were pressing high and the midfield millionaire contingent in our team thought 'you know what, I don't wanna get pressed in a dangerous position, I'll not even look for the ball or make myself available, the guys at the back can look uncomfortable as long as it's not me'.  Cue a match of long balls cos our cowardly midfielders won't make themselves available for an out ball.

I am fucking bealin' about yesterday.  I could keep going till Friday but I'm spare you all!

O'Donnell was poor but the team as a whole was shite and bigger better players than O'Donnell fucking hid.  I'd rather a guy give it his best, even if it's not the standard required than fucking hide in our first finals match in 23 years.  The way the 'big name' players in our squad get shielded from criticism makes me sick.

• Like 6

Was Gordon impressive against Netherlands? Not sure.  If the tactics of the Scotland team is to have the keeper high up the pitch when we are pressing the opposition box then Gordon would have been there too, so is it a valid criticism of Marshall?

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The performance was shite.  Some people seem to think pinning that on O'Donnell is the right thing to do.

Well, Stevie O'Donnell is a Motherwell player, he has an excuse for being shite.  What excuse did McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Hanley etc have?  

We keep hearing Scotland have a great midfield but we don't.  We have a midfielders playing at bigger clubs.  But when Scotland play the midfield is invariable the worst part of the team.  Armstrong, good club player. But he has about 4 good performances for Scotland out of 26.  And don't get me started on how Christie and McGregor are starting over Turnbull.  McGinn and McTominay were fucking useless.

I kept hearing O'Donnell didn't offer anything attacking on the right.  Well the Czechs 2nd goal came about because O'Donnell was in a great attacking position and Hendry didn't use him.  Had a shot from 35 yards out in a nowhere position and we all know how that turned out.  

Let's be honest though, O'Donnell looked uncomfortable.  But he wasn't hiding like plenty other players out there.  One of the reasons he looked uncomfortable was the Czechs were pressing high and the midfield millionaire contingent in our team thought 'you know what, I don't wanna get pressed in a dangerous position, I'll not even look for the ball or make myself available, the guys at the back can look uncomfortable as long as it's not me'.  Cue a match of long balls cos our cowardly midfielders won't make themselves available for an out ball.

I am fucking bealin' about yesterday.  I could keep going till Friday but I'm spare you all!

O'Donnell was poor but the team as a whole was shite and bigger better players than O'Donnell fucking hid.  I'd rather a guy give it his best, even if it's not the standard required than fucking hide in our first finals match in 23 years.  The way the 'big name' players in our squad get shielded from criticism makes me sick.

I agree with this 100%.

The so called big name players were fairly ineffective. 

Our man looked nervous but I suppose when the media have been clambering to get you dropped for weeks on end it adds to the stress of the occasion. 

I thought that, but for running into Christie, he had a decent enough game. 

Would love to see Turnbull and Gilmour start on Friday but it won't happen. 

• Like 1

I've yet to hear an ex-pro say anything other than Marshall was too far out, and given what happened, he obviously was. Hendry's goal against the Dutch was from just outside the box, yesterday's shot was much further out and a daft rush of blood to the head. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - a wee bit of foresight would be even better, because a lack of it will cost you just as dearly as a lack of skill at this level.