Stevie O'D

grizzlyg

Gallagher was always 3rd in line (at best) for a starting spot. He got his chance due to withdrawals and, like a few others in the same boat at the time, stepped up and put in a couple of great performances to get us to the finals. I don't think it's a surprise that he's dropped back to his original position in the queue for starting slots, though.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Was gonna ask, do we think he may have sparked some interest from other clubs after last night?

He was fucking class last night. Sterling, Kane, Grealish and boy wonder Foden getting absolutely fuck all out of a Motherwell right back.

A number of championship clubs must be watching thinking he's worth a punt.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone came along and offered £1m+ to lure him away - probably the big move he was hoping for before arriving at FP. 

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

A number of championship clubs must be watching thinking he's worth a punt.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone came along and offered £1m+ to lure him away - probably the big move he was hoping for before arriving at FP. 

Give what he said about wanting to stay local so him and his wife would be near family and friends, I'd be surprised if he moved down south.

(Of course, money talks).

2 hours ago, si91 said:

And I totally get the fatter wage bit, but when he’s looking back over a career, and yes he’s comfortable in his big house etc, will he have any regrets about missing out on being part of the team that bossed England at Wembley? Would he not like to be able to give the framed shirt from that night to his kids as a memory?

I think the fatter wage packet will come first in truth.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Nicola Sturgeon tweeting about Stephen O’Donnell. My social media wet dream. 

Dont kid yer self she feckin hates anything to do with football and football fans .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57539761

Another heartwarming article about O'Donnell. He is an absolute darling in the media just now!

Although the author of that one may just be a wee bit biased ;)

Good to see a positive reaction to the stick he was getting, even it if was the usual over-the-top hysteria from an OF slanted media.

Another O'Donnell piece in The Guardian: ‘I love your calves’ – what Scotland’s Stephen O’Donnell told Jack Grealish

The Scotland defender Stephen O’Donnell has revealed the novel way in which he prevented Jack Grealish from having a match-winning impact for England at Wembley on Friday night. Upon advice from Grealish’s Aston Villa teammate John McGinn, O’Donnell killed the England substitute with kindness.

O’Donnell has been widely praised for his display in the goalless draw, with the Scotland manager, Steve Clarke, branding the Motherwell full-back “exceptional”.

Grealish’s 63rd-minute introduction was designed to break the deadlock but Scotland stood strong. O’Donnell has shed some light on some of the method behind that.

“By that stage of the game I was starting to get a wee bit fed up,” said O’Donnell, specifically in regards to the booking he received for a robust challenge on Grealish. “He was starting to play, he had just come on and was nice and fresh,” the defender told the Scotland team’s YouTube channel.

“Normally, fresh wingers come on and you feel a bit tired. I just thought: ‘I am going to need to hit him here.’ I was fed up of him trying to take the mickey out of me. I gave him a wee hit.

“Thankfully, John McGinn had given me some tips. He told me that if he comes on I need to get nibbling in his ear but don’t be critical, be complimentary. So the second he came on I was telling him how good looking he was, that I loved his calves and asking him how he got his hair to look like that. I was told if you kick him or get him really hard he gets back up and at you. Maybe that was the best way to get at Jack Grealish the other night.”

1 hour ago, weeyin said:
Another O'Donnell piece in The Guardian:

"I was told if you kick him or get him really hard he gets back up and at you. Maybe that was the best way to get at Jack Grealish the other night"

Seems a bit extreme , but i guess whatever floats your boat.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Seems a bit extreme emoji44.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png, but i guess whatever floats your boat.

I get criticised for saying that we,as a club, need to get more more physical! I know why SO'D put in that challenge but its not something I like.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The African said:

Beaten by a better side. Technically they were far superior and they had the physicality to back it up. You cannot say it was unexpected. As for O'Donnell, he was no worse than the rest of the team who, mostly, looked out of their depth. 

Beaten by the last World Cup finalists wasn't exactly a surprise.

Sadly, our complete lack of fire power was also unsurprising.

It's like watching Motherwell in the first half of last season.

20 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Bollocks. But if it makes you happy.

I saw the comment as being tongue in cheek and more about the world we live in rather than disparaging the player. These days, you are only as good as your last twenty minutes of play, with only two options, great or grotty. Of course, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Beaten by the last World Cup finalists wasn't exactly a surprise.

Sadly, our complete lack of fire power was also unsurprising.

It's like watching Motherwell in the first half of last season.

In my lifetime of watching international football, going back as far as the 1974 World Cup, our lack of goals has always been our biggest weakness. Of course there have been other problems, and sometimes we have been completely awful. Should we be completely negative right now, or can we look for positives? Over the past two decades we would have been having this conversation after we failed to even qualify.. it's not much, but it's something.

1 hour ago, The African said:

Should we be completely negative right now, or can we look for positives? Over the past two decades we would have been having this conversation after we failed to even qualify.. it's not much, but it's something.

The moving of goalposts has a lot to do with us getting there. Apart from the 2 play-off wins on penalties, throughout our Euro qualifying group, the finals and our opening 3 World Cup qualifiers, our wins have come against the teams ranked 97th, 113th, 124th and 210th (the lowest ranked team in world football). I'm not filled with hope when you see how far we are from beating a decent side, something we had to do to have any chance of qualifying in the past.

O'Donnell cost the first goal with his shite attempt at a header. It reminded of me the Celtic game last November. 

It was a very poor performance all in and the tactics that worked against England were easy for Croatia and especially Modric to nulify. Armstrong was horrific, Tierney looked unfit and Dykes never kicked a ball after halftime. 

Nothing has really changed for Scotland. If you don't have any good centre halves or strikers any international side will struggle.