Chris Long

Alex1971

Hey up lads,

Crewe Alexandra fan here, it sounds like we have just signed Chris Long who had been with yourselves for the last couple of seasons.

Is he a good signing for the 3rd tier of English football, I see he can play out wide as well as up top, I see he's a scouser so maybe the lure of being closer to home helped make the decision for the player, and we need another striker.

Oh, and before I go, what happened to Eddie Nolan, did he ever play for Well at all, bit a cult legend for us.

Good luck in the Euro's, apart from, well you know what game I mean....:D

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a little more pessimistic. He certainly has technical ability but I really question his attitude at times, for me he thinks he’s better than he actually is. I honestly think it’s one that could go either way dependant on how he’s feeling and although I believe he will score a half decent amount of goals he’s never going to set the division alight. I’m certainly one of the more positive posters on here and I’ve often been very sorry to see a player leave the club, Danny J and Bowman being two examples but I really did not want long back, someone you could argue that had more about him the the other two I’ve mentioned, just not my cup of tea.

7 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m a little more pessimistic. He certainly has technical ability but I really question his attitude at times, for me he thinks he’s better than he actually is.

Although, Robinson had the opposite view that he sometimes didn't have enough self-belief.

34 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Although, Robinson had the opposite view that he sometimes didn't have enough self-belief.

And of course he knew him better than I ever could, just not someone that ever convinced me.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:56 PM, Alex1971 said:

Hey up lads,

Crewe Alexandra fan here, it sounds like we have just signed Chris Long who had been with yourselves for the last couple of seasons.

Is he a good signing for the 3rd tier of English football, I see he can play out wide as well as up top, I see he's a scouser so maybe the lure of being closer to home helped make the decision for the player, and we need another striker.

Oh, and before I go, what happened to Eddie Nolan, did he ever play for Well at all, bit a cult legend for us.

If you are looking for 5-8 goals a season and a lot of petted lip he'll be a great signing.

I don't watch 3rd tier English football so I don't know the standard but he simply wasn't good enough for us.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:56 PM, Alex1971 said:

Hey up lads,

Decent player, has a ability but unfortunately also has a stinking attitude.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you are looking for 5-8 goals a season and a lot of petted lip he'll be a great signing.

I don't watch 3rd tier English football so I don't know the standard but he simply wasn't good enough for us.

This isn't true at all, he is good enough, like I said, some folk had a serious bee in their bonnet cause he never smiled. According to transfer market he played 66 times for us, 17 goals and 9 assists in that time, A goal contribution every 2.53 games. 

FWIW, Moult had a goal contribution every 1.48 games, Ryan bowman every 3.18 games, Devante Cole every 2.16 games, Callum Lang every 3.5 games and Tony watt every 2.55 (if my maths is correct) 

Now I know that doesn't paint the whole picture, far from it, however I think saying he wasn't good enough for us is even further from the truth.

• Like 3

I don’t think it was simply down to the fact that he never smiled that got supporters backs up. It was more that he wasn’t contributing as much as he potentially could in games while his face was tripping him that riled people. As I said he was a decent player but just didn’t show it enough and wasn’t nearly good enough to get away with such an attitude.

To draw a comparison, Scott McDonald was often a torn faced, whinging arse on the park and he frequently took the huff, but he compensated for it by working his arse off and being a quality player who was excellent in both spells for us. Thus while it was frustrating watching him throw his hands up and growl about the park, you knew that while he was on there he was always likely to contribute to the team.

• Like 1

We could go round in circles about this haha, My perception is that the fans drummed up this idea that he had an attitude problem. Not sure that has ever been brought up by anyone at the club, happy to be proven wrong of course. 

Scott Mcdonald by comparison was very well publicised for having a massive attitude issue, expected massive standards from himself and his team mates, like you say though, he delivered for us time and time again and it was warranted. 

I think we both agree though that he was a decent player and will score goals which is really what the OG poster wants to know.

34 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I think we both agree though that he was a decent player and will score goals which is really what the OG poster wants to know.

Long never wanted to be at Fir park last season, he only re-signed as nobody else wanted him, so his commitment and attitude was questionable. Yes he scored a few goals but  he was not good enough at premiership level.

Dropping down to league 1 l will probably suit him as that's probably the level he's at ability wise

57 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

We could go round in circles about this haha, My perception is that the fans drummed up this idea that he had an attitude problem. Not sure that has ever been brought up by anyone at the club, happy to be proven wrong of course. 

Yep. I think there's two things that led to that conclusion - one was his dour coupon when playing, and two was the fact he has clear qualities that only came through in patches. He drifted in and out of games / the first team as much as anyone else in the last 18 months but I think the weight of expectations coupled with his wee face led fans to think it must just be an attitude problem. 

Regarding long it’s very simple for me, he’s at his best as a central striker and his goal ratio is around one every four games. That simple not good enough and miles away from the likes of Moult. One  thing missing from Watts game is goals but he’s as prolific as long, the difference is the other things  Watt does that Long does not.

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

And thus it became reality, despite anything to the contrary. 

48 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Regarding long it’s very simple for me, he’s at his best as a central striker and his goal ratio is around one every four games. That simple not good enough and miles away from the likes of Moult. One  thing missing from Watts game is goals but he’s as prolific as long, the difference is the other things  Watt does that Long does not.

Moult is a very extreme example to compare him too btw, Moult's goal contribution for us was incredible, as I mentioned above, every 1.48 games. For comparison, Morelos and Eduoard are only slightly better than that. Comparing all our strikers to moult is so easily done, but the reality is, we will struggle to ever get those sort of stats out of a striker so we do have to temper expectations slightly. Long sat fairly comfortably in the middle of guys folk would gladly have down as 'good enough'. Cole, Watt, and Callum Lang.

anyway, that's my take. 

Agree with you on Watt btw, he should score more, reckon he would be playing far higher up the ladder if he did though, he brings so much in terms of everything else.

4 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

This isn't true at all, he is good enough, like I said, some folk had a serious bee in their bonnet cause he never smiled. According to transfer market he played 66 times for us, 17 goals and 9 assists in that time, A goal contribution every 2.53 games. 

FWIW, Moult had a goal contribution every 1.48 games, Ryan bowman every 3.18 games, Devante Cole every 2.16 games, Callum Lang every 3.5 games and Tony watt every 2.55 (if my maths is correct) 

Now I know that doesn't paint the whole picture, far from it, however I think saying he wasn't good enough for us is even further from the truth.

He scored 11 league goals in two seasons.  Dress it up however you like but that's not good enough.

And it wasn't even simply goal scoring.  Tony Watt doesn't score many but you don't see people complaining about it because he puts in a shift.  Long didn't.

Fact of the matter is he hasn't been released by Motherwell because he's a great player.  He couldn't cut it here and the club made the correct decision to let him go.  We'll miss Kelly, Gallagher, Campbell, Cole, we won't miss Long in the slightest.  Harsh maybe but true.

Perhaps he'll go off and bang loads in against Fleetwood Town and Rochdale but at our level he wasn't good enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He scored 11 league goals in two seasons.  Dress it up however you like but that's not good enough.

And it wasn't even simply goal scoring.  Tony Watt doesn't score many but you don't see people complaining about it because he puts in a shift.  Long didn't.

Fact of the matter is he hasn't been released by Motherwell because he's a great player.  He couldn't cut it here and the club made the correct decision to let him go.  We'll miss Kelly, Gallagher, Campbell, Cole, we won't miss Long in the slightest.  Harsh maybe but true.

Perhaps he'll go off and bang loads in against Fleetwood Town and Rochdale but at our level he wasn't good enough.

I totally agree on Watt, btw, his attitude and application is absolutely spot on. Which i must admit to being surprised at based on what we all heard as fans about him.

I also agree with you on the bodies we will miss more than Chris Long. I think I have tried to put forward such a strong case for him to the point I think he is be all and end all, that definitely in the case. I always wanted Long to do well (as we all did of course) but i always thought with confidence he would really kick on. 

The beauty of forums, no one ever agrees on everything. Scotland time now, enjoy.