AndyP

Frazzie

I first came across Andy via the Exiles club probably about 20 years ago. I was living away from Scotland at the time, and in the pre-internet days I loved what he did to keep us in touch with what was going on. Had the pleasure of putting a face to the name on a couple of the European away trips. What a good guy. This is terrible news. Will raise a glass to him tonight. 

Like a few others have already said, I only knew Andy through his input on this forum. As this is the internet, you would be within your rights to say that I didn't know him at all really. So why am I sitting here on the other side of the world feeling both sadness and a sense of loss? I think it must be because, in a world of instant communication and unfettered opinion, where trolls and howling loons seem to be the norm, he represented a different style, being unfashionably reasonable, knowledgeable and prepared to let others hold differing opinions, and all done in goood humour with a dry wit that never failed to raise a smile. This place will be the lesser for his passing, but this is just the internet so of no real account. Our loss is certainly nothing compared to that of his friends, family and loved ones, those who really knew him, and to those people I extend my sincere respect and condolences.

• Like 13

Absolutely gutted to hear this very sad news. Got to know Andy and his family through the excellent Exiles Club he ran for many years. Stayed at the family home a few times and reciprocated the favour when he came down to London to watch Motherwell at Baldock Town and Southend in the early 90’s. A top top man who was first on the phone to me when I was ill recently. I’ll miss the football banter big man, RIP your daft English pal.

• Like 1

This is such truly sad news.

I just want to add an example of my interactions with Andy_P, because this thread is painting a wonderful picture of what a kind and considerate gentleman he must have been.

I'd never had the pleasure of meeting Andy. However, he contacted me, a total insignificant stranger, via PM when he read one of my posts about the League Cup final. When I explained that I couldn't make the final because of my poorly grandparents, he insisted on getting my address so that he would send a program from the final to them.

Then, months later, when we reached the Scottish Cup final, he again contacted me via PM to check on their health and to see if we would like him to send a program from this final too.

God bless him.

• Like 10

Like many others, I didn't know him personally, only through this forum, but I always enjoyed reading his posts which without fail came across as some of the most intelligent, knowledgable, well-reasoned, fair and eloquent that I've read on any forum for any club. He also gave the impression of being a genuinely decent man. Very sad news.

RIP Andy. 

Only interacted directly with Andy a few times via messaging on this site and, as others have said, he was always nothing less than pleasant and helpful.

When the worst thing you can say about a man is that he misspelled Mugabe once, you know he was a top bloke ;)

He'll certainly be missed around here.

As i mentioned in my previous post myself Andy P have co hosted on the MFC Podcast, last night Andy Ross and I were joined by Allan Burrows to pay tribute to Andy P

We also decided to discuss pre season and have a general chat about Motherwell as that's what Andy would have wanted, il post a link if anyone fancies listening. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, decorator said:

only found out yesterday about andy passing away,he was a great guy and we helped each other out with things for the club over the years

i dont post much now as my wife passed away 6 weeks ago after a 5 year fight with cancer

Sorry for your loss also decorator...hope you're ok, as well as you can be...

Dougie.

Only just got to hear about the sad passing of Andy at the weekend, known and discussed many things with him over the last 20+ years & too be honest, you never came away from the conversation thinking anything other than "good guy".

Although the common bond with most would be football (Motherwell) there was way much more to the man than that, but none the less, he will be sadly missed in many corners including in here.

Condolences to the immediate and wider Paterson family and his group of friends at this empty time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, decorator said:

only found out yesterday about andy passing away,he was a great guy and we helped each other out with things for the club over the years

i dont post much now as my wife passed away 6 weeks ago after a 5 year fight with cancer

So sorry to hear that decorator - condolences to you and your family.