It starts here

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, mfc said:

That was a more than decent work out for us but didn't tell us much we probably didn't know already,

Thats it for me.

Maybe the line up didn't suit our makeshift midfield and the defence definitely needs attention. Good to see Dean Cornelius start but, as a young lad making his first start he was entitled to expect more support from more expereinced pros around him. Maybe we missed McGinley too?  Yes we require reinforcements, which will hopefully be incoming shortly. 

Bottom line though is we won, more gametime in legs and Donnelly is on the way back. 

4 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Remember when we beat them 5-1?

That was thing in my mind last night. My takeaway from that match was that our linkup play was good in patches, we had pace and players prepared to go beyond the ball and break lines. We had absolutely none of that last night. We looked static, disjointed and devoid of creativity and leadership. 
I understand that some say it’s only pre-season, which is correct, but it’s not hard to see that we are seriously lacking in key areas. I know some said O’Connor played well, he was fine, but there’s not a chance he’s ready for week in week out spl football - Lamie is still ricki fucking Lamie and neither Crawford nor lawless are good enough to be starting. 
we’re missing two centre halves, an engine in the middle of the park, a central creative player and a winger. What that means effectively is missing a spine to the team and with two weeks until the league starts, that is highly worrying 

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

That was thing in my mind last night. My takeaway from that match was that our linkup play was good in patches, we had pace and players prepared to go beyond the ball and break lines. We had absolutely none of that last night. We looked static, disjointed and devoid of creativity and leadership. 
I understand that some say it’s only pre-season, which is correct, but it’s not hard to see that we are seriously lacking in key areas. I know some said O’Connor played well, he was fine, but there’s not a chance he’s ready for week in week out spl football - Lamie is still ricki fucking Lamie and neither Crawford nor lawless are good enough to be starting. 
we’re missing two centre halves, an engine in the middle of the park, a central creative player and a winger. What that means effectively is missing a spine to the team and with two weeks until the league starts, that is highly worrying 

you make really solid points .Players like Crawford and Lawless should be nowhere close to the starting 11. 

Irrespective of being rusty,we should be able to have decent shape, pass the ball around, move into space etc.  

I don't understand is why some regulars such as Mcginley, Mugabi ,Ohara weren't there. Id be expecting us to field our best 14 players during the game to give everyone match time.

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

Definitely merit  in what you say, I’d disagree with ‘an engine in the middle of the park’ - definitely a requirement, it’s the tactic not to press higher and going box to box or beyond the forward line that stifled the prospect.

For those that haven’t experience of our reserve/development games pre-pandemic, that’s his key attributes.

31 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

you make really solid points .Players like Crawford and Lawless should be nowhere close to the starting 11. 

Irrespective of being rusty,we should be able to have decent shape, pass the ball around, move into space etc.  

I don't understand is why some regulars such as Mcginley, Mugabi ,Ohara weren't there. Id be expecting us to field our best 14 players during the game to give everyone match time.

Due fitness or lack of? It’s not difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Key players were missing due to niggling short term injuries or Covid related matters. That would include the likes of McGinley, OHara and Shields (who has not been in the squad theses past two games). 

1st half (goal apart) was turgid. Queens Park easily the better side. Worth noting however that they have been back 5.5 weeks to our 3.5 weeks. Also worth noting that they have had a lot of investment and are more like a championship side. So comparisons with the side we beat 5-1 are largely irrelevant. 

Lawless seems to be a bit of a target since he joined. Jury out on whether he will make it with us, but I thought he was one of the better players last night (not hard granted) and will give him the benefit of doubt this season. Think he will be a decent option for us. 

Will end by saying - thank Christ we signed Liam Kelly. He was more responsible for that game not being a draw or a defeat ! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Mugabi is still going through Rehab for his injury. The league cup games are a fine balance between picking the right squad, in terms of where players are with their fitness and going and winning the game, it wasn't pretty last night, at all, but we won, job done, much bigger test on saturday.

Queens park looked much sharper, I am not sure how many friendlies they have played though, they also have one competitive game ticked off as well, and it showed. I wouldn't look into it too much though. 

Positives, I thought O'Connor done okay, Cornelius showed some nice flashes, Woolery showed he has something and Van Veen chipped the keeper, got boo'ed and flung the ball away.

PLENTY of room for improvement, not going to come on here and have a go at individuals, we all know this is a glorified pre season friendly. we won, onto Saturday.

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

PLENTY of room for improvement, not going to come on here and have a go at individuals, we all know this is a glorified pre season friendly. we won, onto Saturday.

Fair comment. Despite what the authorities say publicly, many bigger teams are treating the group stages of the League Cup as pre season warm up games.  This was discussed on this very board 5 or so years ago. Traditionally the smaller teams have started off fitter or at least look fitter due to being better motivated (their cup final and all that). We are a few players short in midfield and defence and they'll be brought in - the exact timing though might be an issue. Add to that injury and illness - Grimshaw, McGinley, O'Hara, Mugabi, Shields, plus a not fit Donnelly.   So, all in all we shouldn't be panicking.

In recent times, the midfield has been an issue and this was evident again last night. Irrespective on the individuals, the combination of types of players, maybe wasn't ideal. Add to that tactical instructions from the manager and the fact that QP outnumbered us in midfield and you can see why  we struggled.

I didn’t  see the game but watching the post match interview Alexander does not look particularly happy. However you can’t compare the last time we played them, Queen’s Park are now a club on the up with far better players and the’ve had more game time. I’m guessing that’s a long way from the starting 11 for the first league game with further additions still to come in. Maybe the performance also gives him some idea of what’s still needed which is not a bad thing given we are all of the same opinion on where we still need strengthening.

I think a performance like last night is most likely to be the norm at this stage of the season,granted it would have been nice to have played better and won 3 or 4 but even then we wouldn't have learned much,we win the game got minutes into the legs and ultimately thats what matters.touching on the game though our midfield still gives me real cause for concern,that midfield last night wouldn't have looked out of place in the league below,I know we will have more options with o'hara and now donnolly but our midfield on the whole are just to static,all it takes is one pass and there all took out the game,it was the same last season,we really need to find a better balance in there,it's no great surprise that our two best bits of play last night happened when one of our midfielders actually got forward and joined in the attack,maguire helping to set the goal up then him threading a pass through for watts chance.i really hope the five players that alexander is looking to sign consists of two players that will come straight into the midfield and play and are better than what we already have.the defence worries me a bit to but less so,I think another centre half is needed,again someone that is being brought into to start is what is needed.i would be concerned if alexander had come out and said that the squad rebuild was almost done but the fact were still looking for a few is encouraging.i think when all said and done we will be just fine.

As always, there are all sorts of factors in play for last night's game. GA listed a few e.g. Lamie hardly had any game time due to illness, a number of players not playing due to niggles or short term injuries, Queens Park a couple of weeks ahead in their training, new players finding their feet and learning a new system and, possibly most important, he said that they are doing some high intensity training right now (without winding down for a match day) and players went into the game fatigued.

That's how every team has to prepare this early in the season, so all you can do is try to pick up points and look for improvement in each game - and qualifying from your group. It has its pros and cons. but it's more entertaining than pre-season friendlies.

16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

As always, there are all sorts of factors in play for last night's game. GA listed a few e.g. Lamie hardly had any game time due to illness, a number of players not playing due to niggles or short term injuries, Queens Park a couple of weeks ahead in their training, new players finding their feet and learning a new system and, possibly most important, he said that they are doing some high intensity training right now (without winding down for a match day) and players went into the game fatigued.

That's how every team has to prepare this early in the season, so all you can do is try to pick up points and look for improvement in each game - and qualifying from your group. It has its pros and cons. but it's more entertaining than pre-season friendlies.

sure I heard Craigan mention them doing a double session on Tuesday as well which can't be easy on the legs.

16 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

sure I heard Craigan mention them doing a double session on Tuesday as well which can't be easy on the legs.

Alexander touched on this in his interview, that they're being really pushed in training and that there will be a degree of fatigue last night. 

It wasn't a great performance at all, but there's I don't think there's any cause for concern. The group stages are designed to be part of pre-season and that includes using games as part of fitness and conditioning, testing players positions and formations. The fact we achieved all that and still came away with 3 points makes it a decent result.  

• Like 1

I know its the cup but I see these games as just as a more physical friendly work out.Queens Park are actually a decent side very impressed by them and other teams would have struggled to break them down,get into a rhythm.

It will all click when it comes to the league campaign but I do hope we have a more faces in by end of this month to give them a fair few days to get fitness up for opening game.

Looking forward to hearing oh Kevin Van Veen song when he starts to bang them in!COYW.