Queen of the South game

SteelmaninOZ

A decent comeback against lower league opposition which will help with confidence. Not at the game so can’t comment on it but from what’s been said nothing has changed and the areas that needed strengthening, still need strengthening. A couple of interesting weeks ahead. Oh and Livy lost to lower league opposition, shocks happen.

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

A decent comeback against lower league opposition which will help with confidence. Not at the game so can’t comment on it but from what’s been said nothing has changed and the areas that needed strengthening, still need strengthening. A couple of interesting weeks ahead. Oh and Livy lost to lower league opposition, shocks happen.

This.

We all know the first XI and squad are short of quality especially in midfield.

Today's result was irrelevant to our league season, win, lose or draw.

The player recruitment between now and the window closing will determine how we do this season.

Until then it's premature to judge our squad, our form or our results.

• Like 1

We were more like ourselves 2nd half. Woolery is rapid. He can fairly turn a man as well. Lawless was a handful for the opposition and unfairly tarnished by the usual suspects on here. Van Veen is going to be a star. As for Tony the guy just never gives up. Thought O'connor was calm in defence and mopped up well. Was great to be back in the stadium. Great day for it as well. Panty wetters can calm the fuck down now.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This.

We all know the first XI and squad are short of quality especially in midfield.

Today's result was irrelevant to our league season, win, lose or draw.

The player recruitment between now and the window closing will determine how we do this season.

Until then it's premature to judge our squad, our form or our results.

Exactly.

If this been billed as a pre-season friendly against QoS, most people would have been saying how nice it was to get a day out in the sunshine, back in the stadium and a win to boot.

And while it's not a friendly, it is still very much a pre-season game, a day out in the sunshine, back in the stadium and a win to boot.

At 2-0 down I decided it was such a nice day I would forego the stream and walk the dog. 

Should do it more often. 

Caught the goals and highlights at the end. Van Veen was voted MOM. He was unlucky not to score. 

We are still weak in CB even though the young lad equipped himself well again. Against top flight opposition we will struggle. Same with midfield. I know players are missing and we are still trying to bring in a few more. I like Carroll but easy to see why McGinley is likely to be favoured as he was at the end of last season. 

Also a shame Shields could not play a part today v his old team. Apparently a problem with his hamstring. Hopefully not too long before he gets in the squad / team. 

All in all a good result and should set us up nicely to draw the strongest non seed and top flight side away as we always do. 

• Haha 1

We took it too easy in the first half, and even then if we had been more clinical with our chances we would have had the game wrapped up. Our slackness came back to bite us and they took advantage of it. I liked Paton's hand rubbing gesture after the second, suggesting they had it wrapped up.

We showed more urgency in the second half and were all over them, save a couple of counter attacks. Woolery benefitted from them being knackered, but looked sharp anyway, and they couldn't handle him.. We could have scored plenty more. Van Veen could have had 4 on his own, but looks like he's going to be fun to watch once he shakes off the rust.

It was good to see Donnely get more minutes and I thought Cornelius acquitted himself well. Watt was his usual self, and Lawless looked lively. 

On the negative side, Carroll was lucky to stay on the park, with a couple of bad tackles after he got his yellow. 

All being said, it was good to get the win and "get minutes into the legs".

I agree with the above posts. While there were and still are valid concerns over the first half showing and the season ahead, there is also cause for optimism for the way in which we managed to not only get back in the game but to go on and win it in 90 minutes too.

When you consider last season it took us until the last week in January to even score an equalising goal in any competition then it suggests there is an improvement in the team’s character that we can come back from a poor first half showing and a 2-0 deficit to get the win, even if it is against a lower league side. The timing of the first and third goals was crucial for us, early in the 2nd half to pull it back to 1-2 and almost straight after we equalised to go 3-2 ahead. 

We need to address the midfield asap and as has already been said we need more options up front, though van Veen looked promising today and Woolerly made a huge difference when he came on.

Onwards to Airdrie in the derby on Wednesday night.

2 hours ago, Heisenboab said:

Have to admit some alarm bells are ringing for the season ahead. However todays game I do think we look the much better team  if we get our shit in order and get a early goal still think we can win this.

Get our shit in order - check

Get an early goal - check

Win the game - check

Don't think we were as bad in the first half as some make out but if you make those kind of mistakes at the back the team deserves criticism. We absolutely need to make a few quality additions if are going to avoid flirting with relegation again.

Was a great come back and was glad to see GA stick to his guns and not ring the changes at half time because we were well on top most of the first half.

Disappointed we decided to take the foot off the gas and replace a striker for a defender when we were really motoring.  I was bloodthirsty for more goals. Given our defensive frailties I felt our best form of defence was attack but I suppose we dont want to push certain players too hard while they are getting up to speed.

KVV and Wollery (Ainsworth on Steroids?) look like they could be very very good players for us. Would have loved to see Van Veen to get off the mark today biut wasn't to be. It's clear he has quality and I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before he is banging them in.

All in all a great game to go back to. It's what watching Motherwell is all about!

It was a strange game in terms of performances for us but being sitting in the John Hunter stand at the opposite ends of the goals it was difficult to see if anyone was at fault for goals conceded.

I personally didn’t think there was any bad performances but was impressed with Van Veen, Lawless Watt, Lamie and Woollery who changed the game for us.

Donnelly who definitely looks as he has lost weight should improve in every game he plays when match fit.

Stephen O’Donnell didn’t have a great game but his crossing of the ball was woeful and should look at Woollery in how to cross a ball!!