Queen of the South game

SteelmaninOZ

Thought that was actually a very decent performance today. We totally controlled the first half for 40 mins and virtually gifted them their 2-0 HT lead with 2 sloppy goals. That said, we upped the tempo a bit in the 2nd half and it was pleasing to see the mental toughness required to get ourselves back in the game and then drive home our superiority. A good run out for a few of the players still looking for fitness. Donnelly in particular, while not being great will benefit from getting 65 mins under his belt. Thought OConnor did ok albeit showed his inexperience on a number of occasions but he will get better. Van Veen looks like he will hold the ball up and lead the line well, albeit he needs to sharpen up a bit in front of goal, he should have scored at least one of the several chances he had today. Woolery looks pacey and with a bit about him. Lots of positives to take from the game, but we really need to toughen up a bit at the back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thought that was actually a very decent performance today. We totally controlled the first half for 40 mins and virtually gifted them their 2-0 HT lead with 2 sloppy goals. That said, we upped the tempo a bit in the 2nd half and it was pleasing to see the mental toughness required to get ourselves back in the game and then drive home our superiority. A good run out for a few of the players still looking for fitness. Donnelly in particular, while not being great will benefit from getting 65 mins under his belt. Thought OConnor did ok albeit showed his inexperience on a number of occasions but he will get better. Van Veen looks like he will hold the ball up and lead the line well, albeit he needs to sharpen up a bit in front of goal, he should have scored at least one of the several chances he had today. Woolery looks pacey and with a bit about him. Lots of positives to take from the game, but we really need to toughen up a bit at the back.

I agree with much of that, but I'm not sure we controlled the first half. Yes, we had plenty of possession but played into Queen's hands. Their game plan was to sit back in depth, harry, close down and soak up pressure and then hit quickly on the break. It worked a treat. We lost 2 sloppy goals as you say but it could easily have been 4 or 5. That said we could scored a couple ourselves, but our chances were limited. The second half was different game, as we clawed back an early goal and they tired.

A few significant negatives which we all know about - shaky central defence, weak midfield etc., and which hopefully will be addressed in the coming weeks.  Add to that problems with lack of match fitness.  I thought that Carroll and Donnelly struggled probably due to lack of fitness and that put more pressure on Maguire and young Cornelius. Not only had they to cover box to box but also the wings. 4-3-3 is very demanding on the midfielders.

Thats the negaives but there were also plenty of positives. The team showed an ability to fight back, and thats an improvement on last year. Kelly was impressive in goals; O'Connor looks to be raw but promising; Cornelius is developing well, doing a lot of unnoticed work; and the strikers are starting to showg form. I was especially impressed with Van Veen, who looks to be a real danger in the box and Woolery who added energy and directness when he came on.  

Two game and two wins; thats what cups are all about.

• Like 1

QOTS probably tired because of the work we made them do in the first half, the play was switched from side to side many times. I felt we controlled that half in a way we didn’t on Wednesday.

Their first goal was a needless free kick because Lamie barged the boy to the ground when he was going nowhere.  A free header and an acute finish.  I assume the second goal was a deflection as Kelly looked stranded.

If  the half had finished at 40 minutes there would have been appreciative nods as the guys went off.

The second half was more encouraging and Van Veen should have cemented his cult status with a bit more composure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ropy said:

The second half was more encouraging and Van Veen should have cemented his cult status with a bit more composure.

From what I've heard and read, it's missing those chances that helped him rise to cult status.

(Not a criticism, btw, I like a bit of character and unpredictability in the team).

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

From what I've heard and read, it's missing those chances that helped him rise to cult status.

Sadly if it was any different he wouldn’t be playing for us. Although, for me he’s probably the kind of player that make watching the Well more interesting than watching more successful teams than us.
Who needs a St John,  Pettigrew, McClair, Coyne,  Higdon or a Moult  etc to enjoy a game?  Cult status comes in all shapes and sizes. 

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Van Veen, Woollery and Watt has the potential to be a frightening front three

Yep, if all three are on their game it's going to be fantastic by the look of it. Thought Lawless was excellent too.

42 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Don't think you're allowed to say that on here mate :dontknow:

Lawless has proven himself to be a very capable player in the Championship  .

Still got much to prove at SPL level but should be given a chance to prove whether he's up to the mark.

Personal view is taking a punt on players from the Scottish Championship is a good way to mix things up on the recruitment front. 

Lawless proved himself in the premiership for both Partick and Livi, finishing top six with both of them.

He's been good for us the last couple of games, and played well in the central position when he was shifted there later in the game, if he can stick there it would give us a good range of options in the forward areas.

Like with the bad performances in these early games, I'm not getting too excited about the good performances, but it's still an improvement from the end of last season.

31 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Lawless has proven himself to be a very capable player in the Championship  .

Still got much to prove at SPL level but should be given a chance to prove whether he's up to the mark.

Personal view is taking a punt on players from the Scottish Championship is a good way to mix things up on the recruitment front. 

What more does he need to prove at SPL level ?

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

What more does he need to prove at SPL level ?

Personal view - his best games have been in cups against lower league opposition.

He's not had a huge impact in the league games, only played a handful of times but I've not seen much from him to convince me.  I'd like to see him make more of a difference this season.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Lawless proved himself in the premiership for both Partick and Livi, finishing top six with both of them.

He's been good for us the last couple of games, and played well in the central position when he was shifted there later in the game, if he can stick there it would give us a good range of options in the forward areas.

Like with the bad performances in these early games, I'm not getting too excited about the good performances, but it's still an improvement from the end of last season.

apologies - I incorrectly thought he's played for Patrick when they were in the lower divisions.  Hadn't realised just how much of his career was at SPL level.

Here's hoping he can prove to be add value. We need someone with a good touch and a bit craft going forward. he certainly fits that mold 

I'll just copy and paste my thoughts:

First half I thought we knocked the ball about well but never really threatened. Few chances but we weren't very creative.
The midfield and the front 3 had nothing linking them. I thought Cornelius played well and I thought Maguire was ok but having Maguire as the creative one in the first half got us nowhere.
The two goals we lost were woeful and people booed. Seen a lot of folk slag the booing patrons but I think that booing is well within their right. It was a shocking scoreline and although I wasn't booing myself I defend their right to.

A quick goal back was needed and we got it.

The game changed when Lawless went play between the midfield and the forwards. Everyone knows we are screaming out for the creative midfield link in there and if we don't bring in another to play in there I'd want Lawless in there at all times. It seemed to open Queens up and Woolery's direct running was fun to watch. I like the look of him too. Big deflection on his goal but these things sometimes work for ye.

Van Veen looks like a nice player. Should have burst the net a couple of times but had 2 efforts cleared off the line. Maybe he was using too much finesse but again he looks like he'll be a good player for us.

Ten to go and we brought on our usual 6 defenders. This was something I thought GA maybe thought he had to do last year but looks more like a "go to move" when we are trying to see out a win. Which is the wrong phrase for today as at the point we did it we were in complete control and only Kelly with a big Schmeichelesque leap save us the win at the end.

My main takeaway is the same it's been all summer. We need an attacking midfielder. I'd like to have Lawless as that option with another rather than only him in there.

19 hours ago, mcguru said:

Don't see anything yet on SPFL you tube channel, mon Doncaster get the finger oot.

He's too busy inviting lower league chairmen to his hollowed out volcano base and showing them his shark tank before subtly suggesting they might be going for a swim if Rangers and Celtic colt teams don't get into a reconstructed league.