Airdrie game a derby? Been a while

SteelmaninOZ

Like I said at the weekend we are miles off it right now.

However I am prepared to wait until the window closes before I start hitting the panic button.

That said there is very little proven quality at the club, we are significantly weaker than last season, and if we don't take the appropriate measures it will likely be a long hard season.

Let's hope we get it right in the coming weeks.

8 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Fans like you are the biggest problem that we as a club have. “Let’s just accept getting beat by our lower league local rivals cos they scored two great goals and the pitch was hard tae play oan”.

I’m glad you aren’t embarrassed by that shambles.

Fans like you are utterly laughable. I could go through match threads from the end of last season when you were creaming your knickers at the opportunity to scream how we were definitely going down and quote the mountain of utter utter drivel you post. Every fucking week since you came back. And would you look at that you’re completely fuckin wrong always!

If we had been knocked out then aye it’s a shambles, and quite embarrassed. But tonight doesn’t change anything, we will still go through, and as a result it’s more about minutes in the legs instead of some faded rivalry from the 80s. 

Just because I’m not “fucking embarrassed” or in the “we are going to get relegated” camp doesn’t mean I can’t see the clear need for signings/improvement. I’m just not seething with rage and mashing my keyboard for every fourth post like you.

Now ring out your knickers. 

• Like 2

Well that was as poor as it gets I'm afraid. Lets just hope any future additions and the players currently out of action can help us push forward. Onwards to Saturday now, I can see another hard slog in that tie. 

8 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Fans like you are utterly laughable. I could go through match threads from the end of last season when you were creaming your knickers at the opportunity to scream how we were definitely going down and quote the mountain of utter utter drivel you post. Every fucking week since you came back. And would you look at that you’re completely fuckin wrong always!

If we had been knocked out then aye it’s a shambles, and quite embarrassed. But tonight doesn’t change anything, we will still go through, and as a result it’s more about minutes in the legs instead of some faded rivalry from the 80s. 

Just because I’m not “fucking embarrassed” or in the “we are going to get relegated” camp doesn’t mean I can’t see the clear need for signings/improvement. I’m just not seething with rage and mashing my keyboard for every fourth post like you.

If Airdrie beat QOTS do we go through? 

I think that was an absolute disgrace. To anyone saying otherwise you need your head checked. That is two lower league sides in a row whom have but two past us. That is totally abysmal. Then let's get to strikers. I said to two Well fans this week about our forward options who said I was jumping the gun. It remains the case there is absolutely no spark in that team going forward.

If anyone in the happy clappy brigade wants to quote me in March fire in but after last season and into this, this Motherwell team are gash and major alarm bells ring moving fforward. We seem no further ahead than we were last season having played three matches against lower league sides.

Only positive I'll take is how utterly raging the gaffer looked.

We have a squad of 24 or so players. 

From that would expect us to start fielding our best 15 or so players.  Are some of the new signings just that far off any fitness - I don't get it - playing games is key to sharpening up.

Would like to see Donnelly, O'Hara feature more regularly in midfield. 

2 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Okay well, I don’t think I ever did actually say that “we were definitely going down” at any point since I came back on these forums, but if you can provide any evidence otherwise then be my guest.

Or indeed that I said that “every fucking week since I came back” as you claim.

In a match thread discussing the game I have said nothing unreasonable whatsoever, I’ve just given my views as I see the them.

So, if you disagree with anything that I have said in regards to tonight’s poor performance and result then let’s hear it, otherwise YOU wring your knickers out and wind your neck in.

• Like 1

I know we are short of numbers right now but the team selection to me has seemed odd.

O'Donnell must surely need a rest but he's played every minute.  

We've only used 14 players over the three matches.  Guys like Amaluzor, Parker and Shields brought in but no where to be seen.  Guys like Max Johnston and David Devine nowhere either.

Same team, more or less, same tactics.  Not using these matches to try out various things or look at players.

It all seems a bit....rigid.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Yoky - I hope your right.

It worries me that we extended Crawfords contract , played him last year and playing him again this season.  Maguire regular last year under GA and same again.

Not blaming those 2 players for losing - I don't think the formation is right.  

All I'm saying is I didn't enjoy watching us last season and not enjoying the pre season either. Appreciate a long way to go

Crawfords extension was certainly a surprise, Cornelius is just a young boy still and McGuire is still a back up midfielder for me after not quite making it as a centre half. There is no doubt if we don’t don’t get more creativity into the team we’re really going to struggle for goals and we need some leaders both in midfield and at the back. Alexander stated before the game he only has two centre halves to pick and that’s a mile away from what’s needed given it’s Lamie and another young player still learning the ropes, for all the stick Gallagher took at times he’s still a proven and experienced centre half that we lost. I would say at the moment we’re weaker than last season and if we start with the same group of players I will be worried, I just can’t believe we will and expect another thee or four through the door closer to what’s needed. Alexander has more than enough experience as a manager to know that midfield and defence will not get us far in the league.

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Feckin wring your pants out ffs and calm doon, with the we'll get relegated before the season has started pish, a bad day at the office tonight, the 1st this season and guaranteed not to be the last.

Funnily enough I have had a go at you for negative posts in the past. 

I am a happy clapper. Always have been. But….I call it as I see it. We are as it stands the worst team in the top flight. We play with that side or anything resembling that side and we WILL be relegated. 

If we get O Hara back, Donnelly fit, can see what Shields can do v Van Veen / Woolery etc. Sign 2 starting centre backs and a couple of decent midfielders then we may have enough about us. 

That team should have had enough about them to win tonight. But it was so lacklustre.

We didnt have the players to play 433 last season and unless we're planning on bringing in atleast two midfielders that are a lot better than what we currently have then 433 just isn't going to work.we have a midfield that contributes nothing but giving away daft free kicks and wanting to pass it sideways,they provide no protection to the defence and offer no support to the forwards.lamie improved towards the end of the season but let's be honest,he isn't good enough,going into a season with him as the main centre half is always asking for trouble.i actually think we could have a very decent front three in woolery,watt and van veen if the service to them is decent enough,yet again how many crosses into the box didn't go near one of our players or aimless punts up the park.im just glad alexander is still on the look out for players as we need them.

46 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's just a fact. If he was 3-4 inches taller he would be earning big money down South and in the Scotland squad. 

Spot on Steelboy. He's good at our level but, high balls are his achilles heel, and I'm sure he himself has admitted that.

We just can't start the season with  Lamie, Lawless and Crawford anywhere near our starting XI.  We can't.

Lamie has had a major hand in the 4 goals we've conceded in the last two games against lower league opposition.  Better players in the Premiership will absolutely crucify us.

15 minutes ago, mfc said:

We didnt have the players to play 433 last season and unless we're planning on bringing in atleast two midfielders that are a lot better than what we currently have then 433 just isn't going to work.

Absolutely.  This system places a lot of emphasis on the midfield 3 and fast running front men. Right now, midfield isn't our strongest department. We need to switch to a 4-4-2 formation. 

As for tonight's game, Airdrie seemed to have 22 players on the pitch - they covered every blade of plastic and when our man had the ball he was closed down by at least 2 opponents. For them this was a derby and cup final. for us, it was a pre season bounce game. They seemed to be fitter, faster and more aggressive.

Positives? More game time for legs and er........... 

On the basis of our 2 previous games this result was coming. What did we learn tonight that we didn't know before? Nothing really.

Depending on  how Saturday's results go we might qualify and we might not. Of more concern to me right now though is how prepared and competitive we are going to be for our first few league games.

I know we have a lot of areas needing strengthened up , but unless we get someone in the middle of the park who can create chances and split defences open with passes , then nothing else will mattter ....the gap between the midfield and front 3 is embarrassing and we will never get anything out of the front guys unless we have someone to create chances for them....at this point in time we have nobody anywhere near that role...

1 minute ago, davkel said:

I know we have a lot of areas needing strengthened up , but unless we get someone in the middle of the park who can create chances and split defences open with passes , then nothing else will mattter ....the gap between the midfield and front 3 is embarrassing and we will never get anything out of the front guys unless we have someone to create chances for them....at this point in time we have nobody anywhere near that role...

A creative midfielder would be nice for sure.

From our current group of 24 players,  it would be pretty straight forward to move to a 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 and get much better use of wing backs.  Both Carrol and S'OD are reasonable moving forward.   

We do need some quality signings, would also like to see GA change things and bring in some of the players he signed.