Airdrie game a derby? Been a while

SteelmaninOZ

Maybe I'm in a minority of one but....

I agree we are crying out for a creative midfielder but my priorities lie elsewhere. We are desperately in need of 2 central defenders and some solid midfielders. That way we'd be hard to beat and score against. We could build on that. Right now, Championship and Division 1 teams are able to cut through us far too easily. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Save your embarrassment for after the pre-season.

I think you said something similar last pre-season and look how the regular season turned out 

The idea that there are subtilties in the performance of pre-season games that only the well initiated can understand has been doing the rounds on this board for some time. 

The fact is that a 2-0 defeat of a pro team to Airdrie in any one of the 365 days in a year is a sign that the pro team is mediocre at best. 

That is not to say that Motherwell will be relegated this season after all they will be playing in a top division littered with mediocrity. 

That is a really poor result tonight and indicative of a professional team that by and large plays at a very poor level. 

I don't think Rangers lost one single pre-season game last season, including a thumping of Motherwell. 

As it turned out they then thumped us in the regular season to and went on  to be unbeaten in the league. The right attitude starts pre-season and good teams beat poor teams pre-season or not. 

As an aside, tonight was a competive game so farcical though it is, our season has actually started. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree we are crying out for a creative midfielder but my priorities lie elsewhere. We are desperately in need of 2 central defenders and some solid midfielders. That way we'd be hard to beat and score against. We could build on that. Right now, Championship and Division 1 teams are able to cut through us far too easily. 

I have to agree about the defence it's just not good enough and relying on mugabi coming back isn't the answer,lamie is our main centre half right now and that says it all.we need to sign a centre half and one that is being brought in to play to make us better.we need a creative player in the middle of the park and then use one of our current holding players as just that,sit in front of the centre halfs at all times and protect them and don't move,that should be there role nothing more than that,our defenders are woefully exposed in the current set up,all it takes currently is one pass and our entire midfield three is took out the game because they all run about like headless chickens,some discipline is seriously needed in the middle of the park.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

We played more or less the same team as last midweek and got the same performance, more or less.

And fortunately we managed to scuff a weak shot in through a defender and absolutely stole the points………..warning signs were there last week, major miracle  required if this team are going to progress………..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I would agree in fact St Mirren have a half decent central defender, he’s called Charlie Dunne !!

I know Polworth fell out with GA big time but I would have him back as at least he could create the openings for forwards and we simply don’t have that type of player at the moment.

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

It must be me but his body language during the interview gave me the impression that he had no idea why we were beaten by a first division side!!

It's all in your mind.....

Try harder, compete, try harder. Short corners. Right lads, out you go.

Dreadful. 

We've known we have needed 2 centre halves and 2 central midfielders since at least March yet here we are4 months later and 10 days away from the 1st league match and still missing a spine to the team.

Why are we waiting for the ‘right’ players? 

When it’s clearly crucial roles, you make your targets the best offers you can or at least offers you believe match their contribution, give them a deadline and move on if they reject the contract - how difficult can it actually be?

We need to get the spine of the team sorted and bedded in a week….

Anyone that doesnt think that was embarrassing last night, probably has some form of heat stroke. Problems all over the pitch.

Central defence is alarmingly poor, both full backs were ponderous and indecisive. Up front we lacked any sort of cohesion or focal point.

Individually, I do not think any of our starting midfielders are poor players, but collectively? Oh my, it just wont do...I dont see OHara or Donnelly making a huge difference either. Playing 4-3-3 with a lack of a real playmaker sees us extremely easy to play against and contain.

Alexander needs to get his finger out his arse, pronto 

• Like 2

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said.

No players get pass marks from last night  Heatwave, shite pitch , pre-season are no excuses. We're supposed to be a professional team.

Thought Crawford was a good option last season but he looked out of his depth, Cornelius isn't ready, Maguire has improved but still not the quality we need. Desperately need some experience and quality in the middle of the park.

O'Donnell looks like his confidence has taken an absolute hammering but probably needs rested. He will get nowhere near the Scotland team in future in that showing. McGinlay was laughable last night.

The club have been banging on about waiting for the right players and not rushing recruitment but the longer this delay has went on the more it feels this change in policy has backfired big time.

That was an Alion Rovers-esque performance last night and with 10 days to go, I fear we are going to be absolutely humiliated in the opening games of the season.

We currently look disjointed and don’t appear to be working as a coherent team. However, it’s early days and perhaps GA is using the cup as an experiment to find his best eleven for the season ahead. I hope this isn’t the case as the cup is one of the few opportunities we have to get silverware. If we don’t start playing like a side capable of holding our own against lower division opposition we will be meat and drink for the likes of ‘mini Motherwell’, St Mirren. I suspect there will be a few sleepless nights ahead for GA as he puzzles how to get our current squad ready for the season ahead. 

Shocking last night...

silly two yard kick outs - Why our defence arent ball players, Kelly is a better passer than any of them.

LB that should never have finished the game - Why no change?

RB that looks totally shattered and no confidence - Needs a rest

Midfield 3 bullied - Yet no Donnelly change

Front 3 continually swapping position - Why, they had no idea if they were to come short, run in behind, stay out wide, play narrow

You could go on and on.

I see alexander is saying the players need to start taking things more "seriously",to me that's pretty concerning as we heard similar last season not just from alexander but from robinson and lasley too.

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

I see alexander is saying the players need to start taking things more "seriously",to me that's pretty concerning as we heard similar last season not just from alexander but from robinson and lasley too.

Indeed - yet there's been 2 transfer windows and some of the same chaps still get a game. 

Would love to see some experimentation in these games. Different formations, some of the new signings - not the same dross.

Last night was poor but I'm not stunned that we lost - that's the most galling thing. 

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

Indeed - yet there's been 2 transfer windows and some of the same chaps still get a game. 

Would love to see some experimentation in these games. Different formations, some of the new signings - not the same dross.

Last night was poor but I'm not stunned that we lost - that's the most galling thing. 

Agreed,I wasnt overly confident about last night and i wasn't that surprised that we lost the game but for as poor as we were in the previous two games i expected better than what was on show last night.its still very much evident that some just aren't good enough,we will never do anything as long as guys like lamie and crawford are about the place.alexander has to take his share of the blame for last night too,I still can't get why he's put o'donnell straight into the team,the guy clearly and rightfully deserves a rest,if he isn't left out and we bring johnstone in on saturday then the mind will truly boggle.

• Like 1

I want to like Graham Alexander and for the most part I do, but if he thinks Lammie and Crawford are the standard of player we need then that is a real concern. 

I am pinning my hopes on him finding a Peter Hartley or a Tom Aldred in the lower divisions in England, otherwise it will be a similar campaign to last season and I'm not sure my blood pressure could stand that. 

11 minutes ago, Mortonhallwell said:

I want to like Graham Alexander and for the most part I do, but if he thinks Lammie and Crawford are the standard of player we need then that is a real concern. 

I am pinning my hopes on him finding a Peter Hartley or a Tom Aldred in the lower divisions in England, otherwise it will be a similar campaign to last season and I'm not sure my blood pressure could stand that. 

agree  with this.  It would be easy enough to drop Crawford and put in both Ohara and Donnelly - we need to beef up.

My worry is he sees players like Crawford being a preferred choice to OHara/Donnelly due to his work rate - he does work his socks off - but so would I and that doesn't earn me a place in the team

And.....................................We're back.  Same old ,same old. Are we going to win the league? No. Are we going to win a cup? If we get lucky! Will we get into top 6 ? If we get lucky!

Will we get relegated ? No.  Will it be the usual rollercoaster? Yes !!

Thank goodness I forgot my password last night as I was raging coming back from Airdrie 'The real Local Derby'

1. Is it me or did nobody on the park see that giving away a throw in was as good as a corner for Airdrie!!!!

2. Who in this world would play high balls to Lawless!!! Can't fault his effort but some 18 inches in height may have helped his cause.

3. We have a greyhound in Woolery but the number of times the trap went up and the hare was missing!!  O'Donnel preffering to stick to the plan and pass sideways or back!!

4. Nobody knows each other yet. Watt played some nice touches and dummies to someone not on his wavelength.

5. Tell you what, I'll cross this into the box which has two Motherwell players and seven Airdrie players!!

7.I said to my boy 'Watch this free kick' 'That's how to take them'

8. I'll be worried if things are the same come November but Airdrie are a settled team who know each other and play for each other and they know how to play the plastic pitch.

We need time to gel and get a regular starting 11 . Agree with all above statements about central defence and creative midfielder also make us hard to beat first.

Enjoy the ride and see you at the other side.

• Like 1

Let's be honest here, Airdrie won with two wonder strikes that probably every keeper in the league would not have saved, were they preventable yes all goals are but sometimes a team needs a bit of a boost and the 1st goal gave that to Airdrie.

Did they overrun us,  constantly get in behind us, force Kelly into save after save , no they didn't so let's get a bit of context here.

We had 2 maybe 3 really good chances to score, O'connor and Woolery  should have done better and really should have scored had either of those gone in we would have won the game.

That said the root of all our problems as it has been for several seasons now is midfield, and needs to be sorted ASAP that will take some pressure off the defence and hopefully provide  decent service to the strikers. Yes we should be beating lower division sides but shocks happen and last night was one of those occasions.

So a bad night at the office, hopefully we learn from it and move on.

• Like 3

Fully understand the criticisms flying around just now and that there's only 10 days until the Hibs game, but I do think we need to cut GA some slack. For starters he is currently denied the services of O'Hara, Shields, Grimshaw and a fully rehab'd Donnelly. Also KVV, Woolery and the Maidstone boy are not up to speed as yet by their own admission.

Meanwhile the " 3 or 4 additional players we need" , and targeted I believe, won't be available currently due to the English teams (being behind Scotland re preparations) still evaluating the offering of contracts. Thus GA is playing a waiting game. Yup , a delicate balancing act but an understandable strategy given our limited funds .

Yes, while I would still have expected better performances by now I would wager that our starting 11 by window's end will bear no resemblance to the current 11.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Let's be honest here, Airdrie won with two wonder strikes that probably every keeper in the league would not have saved, were they preventable yes all goals are but sometimes a team needs a bit of a boost and the 1st goal gave that to Airdrie.

Did they overrun us,  constantly get in behind us, force Kelly into save after save , no they didn't so let's get a bit of context here.

We had 2 maybe 3 really good chances to score, O'connor and Woolery  should have done better and really should have scored had either of those gone in we would have won the game.

That said the root of all our problems as it has been for several seasons now is midfield, and needs to be sorted ASAP that will take some pressure off the defence and hopefully provide  decent service to the strikers. Yes we should be beating lower division sides but shocks happen and last night was one of those occasions.

So a bad night at the office, hopefully we learn from it and move on.

That’s confirmed to me that there is little understanding in how our midfield are being asked to play.