Annan game will we win this game?

SteelmaninOZ

12 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

this has been utter gash again -  can't help but wonder what we do in training.

That was a training game today 2-0 probably should have scored at least another 2, Annan offered feck all the whole game, the result was never in any doubt, we have won the group to progress, and you are still feckin moaning get a grip ffs

• Like 2

3 wins out of 4. Some of the new guys have contributed goals. GA has a good idea who he still needs to punt.. Looking at you McGinley. Never needed to get out of 2nd gear and I got sun burn in the Cooper so no major issues from me. Work in progress.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

People moaning about 433 need to have a look at what 343 does for your midfield. Effectively a 523 today. To play 343, your two wide men up top need to be players that will drop into midfield or you end up outnumbered in there. Whatever qualities Woolery and Amaluzor possess, dropping into to solidify the midfield isn't one of them. If the centre forward is being asked to do it, make it Watt as his passing is better than Van Veen's...

I don't think we have the players for 343. I felt sorry for Donnelly and Maguire today. Hung out to dry by the manager....

• Like 2

Did what we needed to do today so can’t complain. Annan were always going to sit in and it was down to us to break them down and we managed it. 

I like the look of van Veen, he just needs that first goal. Plenty of work rate and looks like a good front player.

• Like 2

The team needs time to settle in with new team mates , fitness training ,tactics and the like . No way after 4 games can they be expected to play and gel like a settled team . Whatever people say it will take  a bit of time . 

1 hour ago, stv said:

The team needs time to settle in with new team mates , fitness training ,tactics and the like . No way after 4 games can they be expected to play and gel like a settled team . Whatever people say it will take  a bit of time . 

Exactly

They're all at different stages of physical fitness and match fitness.

Some fans expecting them to hit the ground running and pump everything in front of them. Some even saying we're relegation material ffs.

They forget this is a team essentially with a new forward line and it will take time for things to click although some promising signs today towards the end of the first half and the second half.

With more quality signings still to come in I think we'll be fine.

• Like 1

I’m comfortable with the way we’re doing things, how many times did Robinson get stick for bringing bodies in early from the lower leagues that no one else wanted. People wanted quality over quantity and that appears to be what we’re getting but of course it takes longer with better players that may be in demand from other clubs. 
Its maybe going to cost us early on but hopefully we gain the rewards down the line, we can’t have it both ways.

Think we may have won a watch with Slattery. Came on for 5-10 minutes and made more forward passes than the others did in the previous 80. Also he was telling people what to do and his first tackle left the Annan player in a heap.

Could be a replacement for Alan Campbell

COYW

15 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Think we may have won a watch with Slattery. Came on for 5-10 minutes and made more forward passes than the others did in the previous 80. Also he was telling people what to do and his first tackle left the Annan player in a heap.

Could be a replacement for Alan Campbell

COYW

Mate who is a big Saints fan and goes to all their games (or at least he used to pre Covid) has watched Slattery progress through the ranks and cannae believe we've landed him.

As with all the EPL teams he was up against guys who cost millions and slipped down the pecking order and his confidence went a bit because of that.

He thought he would have ended up at a  Championship team or a Div1 at worst so seems we've done not too shabbily landing him.

Don't see a MoTM thread yet, but on the other end of the scale I thought McGinley was poor in the Airdrie game and poor again today. He's been easy to beat defensively and his passing when he comes forward has been even worse. I don't expect players to be on top form at this point of the season, but was surprised at his lack of form so far.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Don't see a MoTM thread yet, but on the other end of the scale I thought McGinley was poor in the Airdrie game and poor again today. He's been easy to beat defensively and his passing when he comes forward has been even worse. I don't expect players to be on top form at this point of the season, but was surprised at his lack of form so far.

We've had half a dozen cases of Covid with players having to isolate.

Wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he was one of them  and is a bit behind everyone else in terms of fitness.

22 minutes ago, santheman said:

We've had half a dozen cases of Covid with players having to isolate.

Wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he was one of them  and is a bit behind everyone else in terms of fitness.

It's certainly possible - he was decent last season, which is why I surprised his form had dipped so much the last couple of games. I'd have been tempted to keep Carroll at left back, but if it is only fitness lacking, maybe GA thought game time is what was required.

• Like 1