Annan game will we win this game?

SteelmaninOZ

8 hours ago, santheman said:

We've had half a dozen cases of Covid with players having to isolate.

Wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he was one of them  and is a bit behind everyone else in terms of fitness.

Lack of fitness has little to do with a basic lack of ability to pass the ball 10 yards in the first 30 minutes of a game - he was murder in both games.

11 hours ago, real dosser said:

Think we may have won a watch with Slattery. Came on for 5-10 minutes and made more forward passes than the others did in the previous 80. Also he was telling people what to do and his first tackle left the Annan player in a heap.

Could be a replacement for Alan Campbell

COYW

When both he and Watt came on they made a big difference. Both able to foot their foot on the ball and link play.  The more players like that the better.

Thought Van Veen and Woolery showed glimpses - clearly to early to gel together but some flashes of decent skill.

15 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't think we have the players for 343. I felt sorry for Donnelly and Maguire today. Hung out to dry by the manager....

truthfully I've wanted a change of formation but to a 3-4-3 as it doesn't solve the problem.   

With our current players I could see a   3-5-2 or   4-3-1-2 combo work.

FWIW I thought Maguire and Donnelly both played well albeit they were left exposed due to the formation.

9 hours ago, santheman said:

We've had half a dozen cases of Covid with players having to isolate.

Wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that he was one of them  and is a bit behind everyone else in terms of fitness.

I have no idea about this but in terms of gametime he's 2 games behind others. At Airdrie he was given 90 minutes straight away. Yes, he's been poor so far but last season he was quite good at LB. Stephen O'Donnell has also been poor defensively, but he has had other issues (international fatigue?). Admittedly O'Donnell has been better in an attacking sense. A lot may also be down to the way we play, leaving the wings exposed. Its not easy being a FB at Motherwell. Jake Carroll was hardly a roaring success in our first 2 games. We need to cut McGinley and others some slack just now, although that can't go on forever.

It'll take a few weeks until we can properly assess all the players. New players coming in and gelling; others regaining fitness and so on.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

truthfully I've wanted a change of formation but to a 3-4-3 as it doesn't solve the problem.   

With our current players I could see a   3-5-2 or   4-3-1-2 combo work.

FWIW I thought Maguire and Donnelly both played well albeit they were left exposed due to the formation.

I don't disagree with any of that. I thought Donnelly and Maguire played well in the circumstances.  Think a midfield three of those two and Slattery could work in a 352, your front two being Van Veen/Watt and Woolery...

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I have no idea about this but in terms of gametime he's 2 games behind others. At Airdrie he was given 90 minutes straight away. Yes, he's been poor so far but last season he was quite good at LB. Stephen O'Donnell has also been poor defensively, but he has had other issues (international fatigue?). Admittedly O'Donnell has been better in an attacking sense. A lot may also be down to the way we play, leaving the wings exposed. Its not easy being a FB at Motherwell. Jake Carroll was hardly a roaring success in our first 2 games. We need to cut McGinley and others some slack just now, although that can't go on forever.

It'll take a few weeks until we can properly assess all the players. New players coming in and gelling; others regaining fitness and so on.   

Absolutely, we’re bringing players in later and that’s maybe going to cost us early in the season but we all wanted quality over quantity. Hopefully we see the benefit longer term as they bed in and become more of a cohesive squad. Patience the watchword as always.

2 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Lack of fitness has little to do with a basic lack of ability to pass the ball 10 yards in the first 30 minutes of a game - he was murder in both games.

You could say the same about a number of players.

He was solid towards the end of last season and I'm sure he'll get back to that level in time. 

5 hours ago, StirlingDosser said:

Is there some sort of embargo on the club posting highlights for these games? I've not seen any yet and missed the QoS and Annan games.

I think Premier Sports are controlling the rights for that.

5 hours ago, StirlingDosser said:

Is there some sort of embargo on the club posting highlights for these games? I've not seen any yet and missed the QoS and Annan games.

They posted the full 90 minutes of the QoS game on Monday think, I would expect the same tomorrow

On 7/24/2021 at 4:33 PM, MJC_mkII said:

That was just a strange comment all round about too much work, too many games etc. He’s looked pretty downbeat and scunnered in his last few interviews which is a concern.

He's totally been caught out by a July start to the season if you ask me.