Motherwell V Hibs - 2021/22 League Grand Kick Off

StirlingDosser

How many penalties do we give away?

We must be about 15 in the last year.  Needs to stop because it really makes a difference over a season when you are giving so many away.

Better performance but losing the lead twice, and conceding three times at home is not so good.

Still at least there is something to be encouraged about but we have two away fixtures coming up so it remains to be seen when our first win will come.  Don't want to leave it too long or the energy will drop off.

A very entertaining game in which I though we deserved a draw. I think we can take a lot of positives from that with two teams giving everything in a tough encounter and some good football. I’m not going to pick faults, Hibs have a really talented team and we more than matched them, the new signings look well above the quality we usually bring in. The first goal was terrific with a lovely touch by Watt followed by a quality cross by Carroll and Van Vean did well to get his head to it, the second again good work from Carroll and a nice finish from Bevis. Given the lack of game time Donnelly and Slattery both did well, Slattery is only going to get better. 

We could have done with a bit of luck, the first two hibs goals just fell right for them. The penalty was a dumb one to concede.  We seem to go out of our way not to concede penalties, but still somehow concede a bunch of them.  It was also at a time when things were going end to end and I thought we might get something on the break. 

It's a real shame woolery couldn't convert that chance, it was as clear a chance as he's going to get.  

Overall we played pretty well against a good side, with some encouraging signs considering we still have some recruiting to do and a couple of guys getting up to speed.  

That was a kick in the balls,that we didn't deserve.there was a lot of positives to take from that and if we can play like that most weeks we will be absolutely fine.the defending for the hibs goals,the first and the one leading up to the penalty were school boy stuff,we really need to start defending the wider areas a lot better,to many times last season we got caught out with the same thing.i think the new signings will all add something especially van veen who was outstanding,woolery had to score though,if he did we would have got atleast a point.we have shields to come back but I would still like another forward in as well as a midfielder.all in all it was a good enough performance that we can definitely build on. 

Thought we done well today against a good side, things looking better than previous years with recruitment, Slattery and Van Veen definite stand outs.

A bit better decision making and the score line could have been different.

Only problem is the subs made seemed to weaken the team, Lawless and Amaluzar looked to be the two tiredest guys on the park. Bench needs to be stronger if we want to compete.

Onwards to the next game. COYW, enjoyed being back.

5 minutes ago, smiddy said:

am not sure hibs are as good a side as the media make out, at the moment they are the media darlings, but overall that was a good start by us hopefully we we will pick up points playing like that for the rest of the sesaon

They are a decent side, not as good a side as their fans and the media would like them to be but they will almost certainly be top six at the very least this season. We showed today that we have the ability to compete with them over the course of 90 minutes but our defensive issues cost us again. 

As I said, I think Slattery will do extremely well for us once he’s up to speed and there were encouraging signs from Woolery and KvV yet again today. 

• Like 1

If only Woolery had put that chance away to put us back in front.

We really didn't deserve to lose today, but it is what it is. If we take the same energy into the next game with a bit more quality and a bit less hoofball I'll be happy.

Away to St Johnstone, away to Livi and at home to Dundee. I'd like to see us take 5 points from the next 2 games at an absolute minimum.

KVV is a Dutch Berbatov, just pure class.

Van Veen is an absolute baller. Bit of a sickener to lose that as we were for the most part excellent and really limited hibs. Minutes before the penalty Woolery misses a sitter as well. Slattery and KVV are both tremendous pieces of business. Pretty confident for the season ahead after that today. 

1 minute ago, GazzyB said:

If only Woolery had put that chance away to put us back in front.

We really didn't deserve to lose today, but it is what it is. If we take the same energy into the next game with a bit more quality and a bit less hoofball I'll be happy.

Away to St Johnstone, away to Livi and at home to Dundee. I'd like to see us take 5 points from the next 2 games at an absolute minimum.

KVV is a Dutch Berbatov, just pure class.

gazzy       heez just a big dougie arnott       he will feckin annoy every defender in every game    just a big feckin handfull :D

11 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Van Veen is an absolute baller. Bit of a sickener to lose that as we were for the most part excellent and really limited hibs. Minutes before the penalty Woolery misses a sitter as well. Slattery and KVV are both tremendous pieces of business. Pretty confident for the season ahead after that today. 

Minutes before they equalised Woolery was a greedy fucker it was easier to slip in Watt or KVV …… he made a rip roaring arse of it 

Far more positives than negatives from that game today, I dont think we deserved to lose.  One things for sure - we are going to be an entertaining team to watch if we go about our business like that throughout the season.

The referee was pish...but Kevin Van Veen wisnae, what a player we have on our hands, some of the stuff he was doing was absolutely ridiculous 

Compare this game to day one last season v ross county and it’s  Absolute night and day. 

loads of positives to come from that. Kvv was outstanding, slattery when he gets up to speed will be excellent, looks a classy player. Barry maguire I thought was great, worked his arse off. Carrol did well and will get better.

minus points for me was lamie again, hopefully the big Fin will replace him. Disappointed with Donnelly, I just don’t see it in him?  Woolery could be frustrating but I’ll give him time. 
I had an absolute fear about the game today and season ahead but I think I’ve seen enough to think we will be ok.

Really enjoyed the game, felt we were quite unfortunate to come away empty handed. Hibs were extremely lucky with there two goals from open play with the ball landing right to the feet to the forward. I seen the BBC mentioned Hibs hadn't conceded a headed goal in the whole of the last league season, nice to see we have added that threat to our side.

They have a settled side where ours will take time to gel, I feel so much more confident than I was a week previously. 

The consistency of our refs in games is shocking but that's not new. 

Nice to see a bigger attendance getting into the stadium today, missed that. 

38 minutes ago, smiddy said:

am not sure hibs are as good a side as the media make out, at the moment they are the media darlings, but overall that was a good start by us hopefully we we will pick up points playing like that for the rest of the sesaon

I agree with that,hibs are one of the better sides in the league but there not any better than the other teams that finish 3rd in the league.they have a really good forward line that causes teams problems cause they interchange there positions really well but i wouldn't be in a rush to go and sign any of there defenders or midfielders.

Looking forward to the rest of the season now.  We have a lot more to come from Woolery and Donnelly as well as Slattery. Wee bit of work on Woolery to sync up With  his team mates and decision making. Slattery and Donnelly just need more games. I think tightening up the defense is probably top priority, part of that may also be how we transition from attack back into defense. Some shooting practice wouldn’t go amiss though. So a list of things to work on but I think we are starting from a better base than of late.  

Many positives today. New signings look like Alexander has called it right. Quality over quantity. Van der Veen was exceptional. I sat main stand north section and seen his second half graft up close. He was fouled left right and centre though. Referee had a poor poor game but the penalty was the right call.

The defeat is a sore one. To loose after being ahead twice is not really acceptable. Hibs first goal was a defensive disgrace in our part. However we played the ball well. We were confident going forward and we made opportunities. And above all, we were putting decent, dangerous balls into the box. Not something we were doing for a long time. 

Next week we will be more settled and knitted. I look forward to seeing where we go. Much to be optimistic about - fix the defensive holes and we could do well.

Can I also say the crowd today was cracking. A brilliant buzz about Fir Park. The dispersal of fans around the stadium made it feel much more full and improved the atmosphere to my surprise! 

Not sure why folk were booing Murphy - he was a fantastic servant for this football club. 

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Can’t agree their midfield gave us a lesson on how to keep the ball and good interlink passing that had our midfield chasing shadows.

Think Slattery will do ok he ran out of steam today but we’re still a man short in there Donnelly was posted missing today.

Chasing shadows but not creating chances, their goals had elements of good fortune, a swing and a miss which fell kindly for the first and off the post and straight to their man.

Result was in no way unexpected but extremely disappointing to lose 3 goals at home.  On the plus side we look to have a decent strikeforce with the bonus that Shields has yet to feature.  What we lack is a bit of creativity in midfield and another solid centre back to partner Ojala. We have to take into account that Donnelly and Slattery are not match fit, but they will improve. We badly need a creative midfielder to augment these two.   The defence is still giving cause for concern though but will improve once Ojala slots in with a new partner. Solidity and reliability is again a quality thats proving elusive for us, but I'm hopeful we can address that before the month is up. 

Penalties are already causing us problems and that won't be rectified until we stop giving opposing teams time and space to pass into our box, sling crosses over and get shots in on goal. The more time they get in our box the more penalties they'll win. Our midfielders and full backs will need to work far harder and smarter to deny them opportunities.

Up front, Van Veen looks very promising and I'm looking forward to seeing Conor Shields enter the fray. 

Given  that we've still got players to sign, and yet others to get match fit I'll be quietly happy if we can take 4 points from our next 3 games.