Motherwell V Hibs - 2021/22 League Grand Kick Off

StirlingDosser

Watching highlights we need to be a lot tighter in wide areas, Carroll put in 2 great deliveries for goals but for Hibs first goal his positioning is terrible and he never got over quick to shut out the cross.  Defensively both him and McGinley don't give me confidence in that left back area

34 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Watching highlights we need to be a lot tighter in wide areas, Carroll put in 2 great deliveries for goals but for Hibs first goal his positioning is terrible and he never got over quick to shut out the cross.  Defensively both him and McGinley don't give me confidence in that left back area

100%. There was talk last season about playing narrowly, loading the box and allowing crosses to come in. Most evident in the 1-1 home game v Rangers. 

Not sure if that is a strategy but Carroll runs straight back to the box whilst we can all see where the Hibs player was collecting the ball. Almost at the corner flag. That meant he had time and space to pick out Murphy. Yes from there it was a bit of a fluke. But to me that is awful defending. I am not saying run right out to the Hibs player but try to get closer so that he is under pressure. 

All in all it was great to be back at Fir Park for the 1st time in 16 months. Only 3500 home fans was strange given the supposed clamour for tickets and complaints that Hibs got 2000. Appreciate it is summer and Sunday at 16:30 live on Sky but thought we could have shifted 4000+

I have to admit despite the result I was pleasantly surprised at our performance. Hibs more or less had the same team as last season plus a couple of St Mirren players. We had players playing their 1st competitive games. Players not having played with other players. So all told I was surprised we ran Hibs as close as we did. Yes the result was disappointing but I have more hope for the season ahead than I did before KO.

If we can add a few more 1st team quality players then I would be genuinely excited. Maguire did well but another midfielder along the lines of Slattery and another CB along with one or two more forward options and we could have the makings of a right good quality side. One that could battle for best of the rest outside Top 4. Still a lot has to fall into place for that to happen and there are other teams that will strengthen also. 

30 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

All in all it was great to be back at Fir Park for the 1st time in 16 months. Only 3500 home fans was strange given the supposed clamour for tickets and complaints that Hibs got 2000. Appreciate it is summer and Sunday at 16:30 live on Sky but thought we could have shifted 4000+

Apparently the tickets were sold out. I'm just assuming lots of season ticket holders applied for their ticket obviously got them but never came along for whatever reason. 

Enjoyed the atmosphere all the same. 

2 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

100%. There was talk last season about playing narrowly, loading the box and allowing crosses to come in. Most evident in the 1-1 home game v Rangers. 

Not sure if that is a strategy but Carroll runs straight back to the box whilst we can all see where the Hibs player was collecting the ball. Almost at the corner flag. That meant he had time and space to pick out Murphy. Yes from there it was a bit of a fluke. But to me that is awful defending. I am not saying run right out to the Hibs player but try to get closer so that he is under pressure. 

I have to admit despite the result I was pleasantly surprised at our performance. Hibs more or less had the same team as last season plus a couple of St Mirren players. We had players playing their 1st competitive games. Players not having played with other players. So all told I was surprised we ran Hibs as close as we did. Yes the result was disappointing but I have more hope for the season ahead than I did before KO.

If we can add a few more 1st team quality players then I would be genuinely excited. Maguire did well but another midfielder along the lines of Slattery and another CB along with one or two more forward options and we could have the makings of a right good quality side. One that could battle for best of the rest outside Top 4. Still a lot has to fall into place for that to happen and there are other teams that will strengthen also. 

I also found it pretty strange as I’m sure I seen we had actually sold out in tickets... Probably trying to be hopeful as it did look really busy in all stands but was hoping it was more 6.2k rather than 5.2k and someone had misread it. Anyway the atmosphere was definitely there and the buzz of seeing the ‘Well again was there amongst everyone. 

With regards battle for outside of the top 4 I don’t see why we can’t go and actually challenge for 3rd or 4th (optimistic I know) however that’s basically a whole new team which seems to have a great deal of quality in it, once certain players are upto speed it’ll be even better also adding in a few more additions and a couple to return. Should be no reason why we can’t go beat hearts, hibs, Aberdeen etc. First and foremost though we get ourselves in a good position as far away as possible from relegation spots then we start looking up to the top 6 or further, just 2 seasons ago we did finish 3rd...

21 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

lots of positives - moving forward we have several options and plenty of people who'll cause teams issues.

We need to learn how to hold onto a lead, whether it's change shape, hold onto the ball etc. hopefully that will come with experience and time.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic. 

Pretty much agree with this, would like to add that it’s good to read a thread about a game that we lost and find the majority of comments are positive - let’s hope the team live up to our expectations and most threads this season we’re talking about winning performance’s. 

54 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Pretty much agree with this, would like to add that it’s good to read a thread about a game that we lost and find the majority of comments are positive - let’s hope the team live up to our expectations and most threads this season we’re talking about winning performance’s. 

It was also really encouraging to see the number of our fans on their feet applauding the team at the end. Just goes to show that the fans will back a team that is entertaining and shows real honest endeavour, regardless of the result!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Need to find a new song for KVV also,  it doesn't fit in to chorus of Seven Nation Army,  works for O'Donnell or Mugabi but not KVV,  ooooooooo check me as if I am super songwriter!! Lol

liam gallacher

noel gallacher

GRIZZLY  gallacher:whistle:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Need to find a new song for KVV also,  it doesn't fit in to chorus of Seven Nation Army,  works for O'Donnell or Mugabi but not KVV,  ooooooooo check me as if I am super songwriter!! Lol

To the tune of Hawkwind’s Silver Machine. Works a treat and easy to remember. The only down side is that anyone under the age of 40 will need to Google it to get the tune. 

We’ve  got Kevin Van Veen

He’s our scoring machine

( and repeat as many times as you like)

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 8:16 PM, MelvinBragg said:

Is there an option for muting posts from certain posters so I can't see it? If so, how...

On 8/1/2021 at 8:18 PM, Yabba's Turd said:

Nasal sex, other than just skipping it because you know it's utter bullshit. 
Could always just jettison folk with impunity I suppose. :D 

hover over their name. Middle option there

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Absolutely Iain. This is possibly my biggest frustration as a Well fan. We've been doing this for years. For Jake Carroll read Stevie Hammell - he was doing this for season after season. 

I don't know if its because of individual lack of positional awareness; a 4-3-3 formation (I doubt it though); or managerial instructions. We do it irrespective if we're retreating after a broken down attack or whether we're under the cosh and defending deeply. Opponents very rarely give us this freedom. In the LC group stage games, I frequently noticed opposing teams successfully crowding out our wide players with up to 3 defenders at times. If we get a ball into the box from a wide area we usually have to work damned hard to do it. By making it easy for opponents to cross or pass into our box from a wide area it puts unnecessary and unwanted pressure onto our central defenders and keeper.

Puzzled.com 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

To the tune of Hawkwind’s Silver Machine. Works a treat and easy to remember. The only down side is that anyone under the age of 40 will need to Google it to get the tune. 

We’ve  got Kevin Van Veen

He’s our scoring machine

( and repeat as many times as you like)

You start it and I will join in

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

To the tune of Let it Be... KVV, KVV, KVV, KVV... scored against the Hibees, KVV

Or against the Celtic / Rangers / whatever...