Motherwell V Hibs - 2021/22 League Grand Kick Off

StirlingDosser

Some random thoughts:

More physical commitment from us in one game than for much of last season.  

Van Veen should change his name to Roy of The Rovers.

Woolery looked in dreamland for most of the first half: he didn't seem to know when or where to run. Yet he is quick, quite physical and can win balls in the air, if that is what you like in a winger :D. If he'd taken his second-half chance or slipped the ball to an unmarked Watt as WW91 noted, we would have won. Have filed him under  Shows Promise.

Maguire gave everything against some accomplished opposition but was physically weaker and understandably showed inexperience.

Slattery started well but tired quickly: needs games but promising. Is he the new Gorrin (whom few here praised when he was here but has got better the longer he has been away)?

To lose two scrappy, pinball goals is disappointing  and I couldn't see the SOD penalty, so no idea if it was kosher. Maybe  Hibs' surrounding the ref at half time  re their Carroll penalty claim had an effect.

As some other sage said above: compare your feelings tonight to those following last year's first game at Dingwall. Surely no comparison?

Don't call me Shirley.

Really enjoyed that today. Plenty of positives to take as Alexander appears to be assembling a team with character and quality. Unfortunately however, the end result was to be expected given the lack of game time Slattery, Mugabi and Donnelly have under their belts, combined with a lack of attacking options off the bench. 

Hopefully we can pick up a victory early on and provide the team with some breathing space to bed in new players and get everyone up to speed. 

KVV was a delight to watch. If Alexander can get a tune out of him on a weekly basis then we have a striker capable of making a huge impact. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Some random thoughts:

More physical commitment from us in one game than for much of last season.  

Van Veen should change his name to Roy of The Rovers.

Woolery looked in dreamland for most of the first half: he didn't seem to know when or where to run. Yet he is quick, quite physical and can win balls in the air, if that is what you like in a winger :D. If he'd taken his second-half chance or slipped the ball to an unmarked Watt as WW91 noted, we would have won. Have filed him under  Shows Promise.

Maguire gave everything against some accomplished opposition but was physically weaker and understandably showed inexperience.

Slattery started well but tired quickly: needs games but promising. Is he the new Gorrin (whom few here praised when he was here but has got better the longer he has been away)?

To lose two scrappy, pinball goals is disappointing  and I couldn't see the SOD penalty, so no idea if it was kosher. Maybe  Hibs' surrounding the ref at half time  re their Carroll penalty claim had an effect.

As some other sage said above: compare your feelings tonight to those following last year's first game at Dingwall. Surely no comparison?

Don't call me Shirley.

I think he’s going to end up one of the best signings in recent years. It took about 5 minutes to recognise his qualities.

Coming into this season i was worried about the spine of the team giving who we lost over the summer but having brought kelly back and the signings of slattery and van veen and an international centre half to come into the team,even though it's very early days we might actually be stronger than last season.after today I'm reasonably confident we will have a decent season by the time the new signings find there feet and guys like donnolly get back up to speed we will be fine.we still need atleast a couple more signings as the bench today was lacking in options especially in the forward area,if alexander can pull a couple more like van veen or slattery out the bag,that would be great 

5 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

We still have Conner Shields to come in ………… IMO him and KVV could make a very potent front two

I think shields will do well for us,hopefully he's not far away from being in contention.i wouldn't mind seeing a left winger come in that would allow us to play watt more centrally.

Really enjoyed that today. Really entertaining end to end game with lots of chances for both sides. Great atmosphere in the ground as well. Sky will be chuffed to bits with the product on offer!

Thought we were very unlucky not to take a point from the game. There is no doubting Hibs quality, but we matched them for large parts of the game and should have converted at least one of our chances in the 2nd half.

Still very much a work in progress. Our first 11 looks strong, but our options off the bench only weaken us, so we will need a few more bodies in to give us the strength and depth we need for a successful campaign. Getting Shields and Ojala fit and available would also be a massive help.

Reasons to be cheerful......

• Like 1

Frustrating defeat but a lot of positives to build on, KVV immense, Slattery will get better and Kelly just awesome.  I spent whole game slating Andrew Dallas and realised he wasnt the ref!!, as for booing Murphy,  defies belief, great servant,  didnt celebrate when he scored against us for rangers,  mind you we ain't great at appreciating former players, jeez fans booed Lambert when he returned with Sellik and heaven forbid he left us to join Dortmund and win the Champions league!!...,COYW

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Yip...very strange stuff. 

He was a smashing player for us, scored some very important goals, never threw his toys out the pram looking for a move, got us a bit of cash when he did, speaks highly about the Club...and then boo'd off some fucking weirdos.

Totally agree with o'Neill. When he was going off where we were sitting in  east stand next to cooper all around us and beyond started clapping and drowned out minority of boos from morons. He was great player for us and went on to do well for himself and always spoke highly of us.

Back to game and I enjoyed it other than result.  They always looked dangerous but I felt we had big chances too that just never happened. I feel a lot better and more optimistic than I did last week anyway. 

Why was Newell or gogig I think not booked for grabbing our players around waist and stopping break always? Ref was poor imo and Carroll incident in 1st half was 50 50. The penalty now I've seen it was right decision as if hand not there it's on target.

Also canny believe only 3500 well fans as burrows said through week very limited in jh and limited in cooper I feel the club missed out a wee bit here as no doubt there were a lot of well fans not able to get a ticket.

Good atmosphere all around for park today in and out ground and here's hoping it continues but results will decide that of course

I must say the two crosses from Carroll today were lovely for the goals hopefully more of the same on that front. 

I'm not disputing the penalty but I thought we were unlucky on that front, O'Donnell has his hand by his side but as he swivels at the last millisecond to block the shot it looks like his arms well outstretched. 

Thoroughly enjoyed that today, result excepted, KVV is going to be a cult hero, though I do worry that the Scottish referees will pick on him (ala Nick Cusack).  Slattery looks promising and with a couple more quality signings we could be in for quite a decent season.  I wasn't sure why Bevis started but did ok mostly. They were a bit fortunate with their goals, especially the first one but I guess you make your own luck.

I'm not even going to mention that refereeing performance. :notme:

"Just the beginning in the road to relegation! Disappointed Graham? Disappointerd are us....37 more losses are coming!"

Just noticed this btl comment  on GA's post-match interview on YouTube.

Not sure if it's Mrs Polworth or  a distant relative of Yodo.

Forgot to say how cringe-making was the booing of Murphy today. Thankfully enough folk around me in the POD drowned out the sad wee diddies. Good to see Jamie cuddling our kit-man at the end.

• Like 1

Result aside I enjoyed the game yesterday and I believe we have enough about us to not be dragged into a relegation battle. Enough for top 6, I suppose we need to see how the new CD;s are. As the defence is our weakest point at this time. Was failry happy with the midfield, we still have O'Hara to come back as well. 

KVV looks like he could take the crown from Louis, liked his control and first touch, don't think the Hibs Defence did though.

Slattery looks good and will become a mainstay in the team.

However apart from the game, how good was it to be back at Fir Park? A decent atmosphere as well even f the drum wasn't allowed.