St Johnstone v Motherwell 8/8/21

SteelmaninOZ

Biggest issue for me with the defence at the weekend was it was the first time they played together this season and weren't acting as a unit. Whoever GA decides is our best starters need to settle in quick so they can work out who needs to cover for who when we have defenders miles up the park.

12 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Probably much the same team maybe with Ojala coming in unfortunately I had to miss Sunday’s game due to being down South, not sure who he would replace, possibly Lamie?

For me Ojala will  be the 1st pick every week but not sure who GA will see as his partner Mugabi or Lamie, for me I would have mugabi but at the moment it's a tough call .

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to St Johnstone v Motherwell 8/8/21
5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Can you buy a stream of this?

TICKETS

St Johnstone are not making tickets available to away supporters.

WATCH LIVE

There are two options instead to watch live.

If you’re in the UK/Ireland, you can purchase a live stream of the match from St Johnstone. Information on how to buy will be available shortly.

Abroad, you can sign up to our live streaming service and get every game – home and away – from as little as £12.50 a month.

11 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I'd still love to see us drop Watt back and play behind the central 2 strikers - that would connect things up and leave space on the flanks for Carrol/S'OD to ping in some crosses. 

Aye, it's defintley an option I'd explore. Said elsewhere Watt is ideal for that role. 

However, I'd stick with the 4-3-3 for Sunday.

Same team but Ojala in and Lamie out. Lamie provides balance but I think Mugabi is the better defender tbh. Lamie makes so many poor decisions. 

Perth is always a difficult place to go, regardless of how their European exploits turn out. They didnt win 2 trophies last season without having something about them. Id be happy to maintain the same level of performance and come away with a point. 3 points would represent a very good day at the office.

4 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Our defensive frailties will cost us again here I reckon.

4-2 home win.

I'd be amazed if St Johnstone score 4.  Most of their league wins last season were 1 - 0, with the odd 2 - 1 thrown in for variety.

If we do lose, it will be by the odd goal, but they didn't set the heather on fire against Ross County last week.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Would be tough on Lamie as he has improved,  for me the biggest defensive headache is left back, If Carroll could defend as well as he could cross there would be no issue.  Same starting xi apart from Ojala but no idea which centre half he dropped unless we tried 3 5 2

One game Carroll defends great then next game has a stinker defensively think he’s a very decent player but his height and pace helps him out a lot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Would be tough on Lamie as he has improved,  for me the biggest defensive headache is left back, If Carroll could defend as well as he could cross there would be no issue.  Same starting xi apart from Ojala but no idea which centre half he dropped unless we tried 3 5 2

I’m happy with Carroll but I know he splits opinion, bring in another centre half and we’re sorted at the back in my view, neither Lamie or Mugabi are long term options for me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I'd be amazed if St Johnstone score 4.  Most of their league wins last season were 1 - 0, with the odd 2 - 1 thrown in for variety.

If we do lose, it will be by the odd goal, but they didn't set the heather on fire against Ross County last week.

They beat us 3-0 going on six when we last played them in February at Fir Park.

While there clearly were signs of encouragement to take from Sunday it is clear that we still have defensive concerns, something that was evident in the League Cup group games too. We need to learn to concentrate and ‘manage’ games better, otherwise we will continue to ship goals.