St Johnstone v Motherwell 8/8/21

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We definitely need to continue to look for better quality players though.

Or give the new players more than 2 league games to bed in (although I know that's not how we roll on here despite some of our best players ever getting off to a slow start).

Full time 1-1.

Happy with that to be honest. Not a great performance but getting our first point on the board for the season is important. A very well taken goal from Watt and but for a few cracking saves from Clark we could have sneaked it. Midfield and defence are still a major issue but it’s early days and we still have time to address those areas.

All in all, a good result.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

Or give the new players more than 2 league games to bed in (although I know that's not how we roll on here despite some of our best players ever getting off to a slow start).

Yep, as always when a new manager is building a team it needs time. 

I'll take a point. Clark made 4 very good saves and we hit the post so could have panned out differently.

That said we have a lot to do to get balance in midfield. Fullbacks get swamped as a result and we end defending cross after cross into the box. Too many long balls leave some good attacking players isolated because we don't build attacks.....we hoof it and play off 2nd balls when we are under pressure. Shite to watch. Seen enough from the first two games to say we will be ok with a few more weeks and 2/3 more options and returning players from injury.

I think we need to remember that the team are still coming together...that front 3 have never played together and Slattery is only playing his 2nd game up here, and playing beside a guy who has had a full year out on the treatment table. I wont be making any judgements until we've played at least 10 games.

In contrast, St Johnstone have a settled side and theyve been settled for years now. Wotherspoon, Craig, Davidson, May, OHalloran , McCann all played for them for years and theyve a very settled defence as well. Won both cups and just took a draw away to galatasaray...they're a good side.

That said, I hate the formation we play, 3 up front with no real width and players that dont look comfy playing wide of a striker...the midfield 3 are so narrow and that will only work if the full backs are competent going forward...which I'm not sure they are.

• Like 3

That was a good point considering we still look like we're in pre season mode.

Slattery came into the game more and started to show flashes, and the move for the goal was excellent. Having someone who could make an impact off the bench was nice.

Shields looks like he's got a way to go to get up to sharpness, he never got into the game, but his pace and power will go a long way. 

Donnelly is miles away, hopefully he can get back the yard he's missing. 

Overall, we got more value out of the little possession we had, and made plenty of decent chances. If only Watt had buried that chance.

I thought Lamie and Mugabi were fine. The latter was causing havoc in their box at set pieces as well. The problem with them is that they're both going to cost us with absolute howlers a couple of times a season, but overall they're steady enough. 

The way we play exposes our full backs. There's no protection from the midfield and we also expect both to be an attacking threat.  I don't think odonnell or Carroll are nearly as bad as being made out. The latter assisted both of our goals last week.  There's no way we're signing replacements, so get used to who we have.

16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Midfield isn't good enough.  Nothing to do with bedding in.

Also need defensive strengthening.

• Like 1

Aye Maguire is never a starter in this league. His contribution on the ball today was pitiful. So many times it's four touches and three shoulder dips to play a sideways pass. 

Donnelly has always struggled with fitness and I don't see him getting back to his 19/20 peak after that injury. 

O'Hara seems to have concussion issues and it's a mystery how Crawford got an extension. 

21 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Full time 1-1.

Happy with that to be honest. Not a great performance but getting our first point on the board for the season is important. A very well taken goal from Watt and but for a few cracking saves from Clark we could have sneaked it. Midfield and defence are still a major issue but it’s early days and we still have time to address those areas.

All in all, a good result.

great ball by lawless too...wee bit of quality , need to be patient with creative players.

• Like 1