St Johnstone v Motherwell 8/8/21

SteelmaninOZ

6 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

I recon we can win this one won’t be pretty it will be a hard fought low score 1-2 win for the Well.

Stating the obvious but we will need to defend a lot better than we did against Hibs to have any chance of getting anything here.

St.J have shown over the past season that they are able to punish sides from set pieces whilst we have looked vulnerable at defending set pieces in that same time. We need to protect our backline and not make any rash challenges in and around our box otherwise I fear we will be undone again. 

On 8/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, GazzyB said:

Totally agree MB. 4-3-3 isn't the problem, it didn't work last season because Maguire was inexperienced, Campbell was off form and Crawford isn't good enough.

This season's Maguire (who looks completely different), Donnelly & Slattery will more than hold their own once they're up to speed, with O'Hara there to offer fresh legs.

I have to say Maguire has taken a real step forward in the last 12 months. I was of the opinion he was not going to make it at the top level, I’m now not so sure.

2 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Stating the obvious but we will need to defend a lot better than we did against Hibs to have any chance of getting anything .

Absolutely. That defending needs to start with our midfield. Let's hope we make St Johnstone work damned hard to get anywhere near our box. 

On 8/6/2021 at 6:53 PM, Yorkyred said:

I have to say Maguire has taken a real step forward in the last 12 months. I was of the opinion he was not going to make it at the top level, I’m now not so sure.

I was the exact same, delighted to be proven wrong.

He is very athletic, if he can add a bit of quality to his game he could well go on to big or better things than Motherwell. 

4 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Even this early I’m wary of teams taking bonus points off the Old Firm and so far Hearts and Dundee United have done just that.

Doesn't matter what any other team does. We need to be taking care of our own business and not worrying about what we can't control.

• Haha 1

Important we get up and running with some points on the board, sooner rather than later. Last weekend was not without its positive s but Perth is never an easy place to go and I have few memories of our successes there. I suppose I would take a point right now, but I live in hope of more.

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

This game has probably come 3 or 4 weeks too early for us as we're still a few players short.  Still, the proof of the pudding and all that......

I agree that it will be another 2-3 weeks before we have our full squad. But we put in a decent enough performance last weekend. That and Ross County had even less players for their draw v St Johnstone last week. Granted Perth Saints missed a penalty. 

We really need to take at least a point today. St Johnstone may rotate with Galatasaray in mind. Even if not then they should be wearier having played a tough game in Istanbul midweek. 

Be interesting to see if Ojala starts. My fear is we are still poorish defensively. So he may come in and make a difference. Fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Surprised people think we will add 3 or 4, I reckon we are close to done in the market. 

Easy 2-0 win for us today.

Another few players in and we will have same overstaffed squad as last year  and that didnt turn out to good. Its got to stop sometime and use what we have. This season we are trying to keep a regular squad on the park thru the season , as manager has stated before. 

Any win will do and give players another chance to get to know each other better on the park.

6 minutes ago, stv said:

Another few players in and we will have same overstaffed squad as last year  and that didnt turn out to good. Its got to stop sometime and use what we have. This season we are trying to keep a regular squad on the park thru the season , as manager has stated before. 

I know where you're coming from but GA has said very recently that he wants to add to the squad to cover for Covid and other eventualities. I reckon we still need another cente back and a creative midfielder, so thats 2 extra bodies. Hints that he's also looking at another striker as well. 

Pretty sure I seen big Rooney outside Anzars in mossend last night. Got me thinking they might rest a few players for the Europa League game if he's back down the road. 

It's no a massive drive up but a big dirty kebab the night before a game mibby isn't the best idea if he's playing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I know where you're coming from but GA has said very recently that he wants to add to the squad to cover for Covid and other eventualities. I reckon we still need another cente back and a creative midfielder, so thats 2 extra bodies. Hints that he's also looking at another striker as well. 

Roberts has been told he can leave Hearts. Wouldn't be a bad signing if we can get him in. 

On 8/5/2021 at 2:04 PM, wellsince75 said:

in terms of set up

_______________________Kelly___________________
S'OD.            OJala                      Lamie.      Carrol
     |           Donnnelly.   Slattery Maguire    |
     |                                  Watt                                   |
     |                     VanVeen.    Woolery.              |

wing backs can move up and down the flanks to give protection/progress forward get crosses in
Watt can link the forwards 

And we go on to pick up 3 deserved points 

Looks good too me..if we can get S'OD farther up the park..hibs done a job on him which limited our attacking options 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes that’s my view, he’s strengthened the spine over the last couple of weeks which was needed but we are still not quite there.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'd be amazed if we sign another central defender...

...Mugabe, Lamie, Ojala, OConnor, Devine are all centre backs to trade...and we also have Donnelly, OHara and Maguire who have player there for us before 

• Like 1