Livingston v Motherwell 21/08/21

Toxteth O'Grady

Great result, but there is a lot to be concerned about by the level of performance. Let's hope that we can get a few quality signings in before the window closes or it'll be another long hard season devoid of entertainment.

Ya beauty,great three points coming from behind on that pitch.im not grimmys biggest fan but he was excellent today,he brought an energy that this team has been lacking,I'm chuffed he got on the score sheet and the just as important goal saving block near the end.

6 minutes ago, Yodo said:

ETake the three points but performances like that won't do . Need players in next week hope GA is thinking the same 

I agree completely but getting that first win on the board for the season is crucial. There are obviously concerns over our general play but winning games like that against teams like that is absolutely massive for us, just as a loss in a game like that would be disastrous.

37 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

Great result, but there is a lot to be concerned about by the level of performance. Let's hope that we can get a few quality signings in before the window closes or it'll be another long hard season devoid of entertainment.

We are a hard team to watch and to automatically switch to outright defence when we actually had them in bother was criminal, Livi  are hardly worth that approach.  Criminal tactics but its GA stock in trade and why Salford punted him. He got away with it today. Had Livi scored in the last minute there would have been a social media melt down.

39 minutes ago, Yodo said:

ETake the three points but performances like that won't do . Need players in next week hope GA is thinking the same 

delighted with the win - it was only ever going to be ugly.  We had 10-15 mins of decent play the start of each half today against a very poor Livy team. 

I don't blame it all on not having the players.  The mgr has brought in 9 players and resigned xx amount more. 

GA needs to take accountability for the style of play + formations + the very predicable set pieces. 

Surprised that so many people say that we were poor today, I quite enjoyed it! Particularly that spell at the start of the second half until we went ahead.

Once again I've got nothing but good things to say about Lamie. Defensively he is extremely solid, and a lot less punts up the park today too!

Also thought Carroll, Slattery, Watt & Justin were very good. And Grimmy, what a guy!

• Like 2

A huge three points which was the most important thing today, and hopefully gives us a bit of confidence and something to build on. But… and there are many buts… I actually left the stadium more satisfied after the Hibs defeat than I did today with a win. 

One of my buts is Ojala. First time I’d seen him in the flesh but he looked a combination of: nervous / not up to fitness / not up to the standard required. I’m not writing him off yet, but I expected more from an international defender. 

Great to get a win and three points on the board. That's the main thing. No matter how ugly. We now move forward (I hope!)

Whilst I always buy into the above and still, toa  degree, still do... I am asking myself questions. I was in the Robinson club and also bought into into idea Alexander was the right man. I am questioning that idea. Not in anyway trying to come across as a moan or take the shine off a win. Today's tactics were absolutely pish. And I don't think the second goal was anything beyond dumb luck that Grimmy was switched on, in the right place at the right time. Anyone else at any other minute in that game and that goal wouldn't have happened. We need another couple of wins on the bounce to inspire some confidence not just in thr squad but also the support.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

A huge three points which was the most important thing today, and hopefully gives us a bit of confidence and something to build on. But… and there are many buts… I actually left the stadium more satisfied after the Hibs defeat than I did today with a win. 

One of my buts is Ojala. First time I’d seen him in the flesh but he looked a combination of: nervous / not up to fitness / not up to the standard required. I’m not writing him off yet, but I expected more from an international defender. 

as i asked earlier on     finnish  international   or   finnished international    

9 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

And I don't think the second goal was anything beyond dumb luck that Grimmy was switched on, in the right place at the right time.

Not sure why a professional football player being switched on in the right place at the right time is "dumb luck". That's literally what they train to do.

It was Gary Lineker that said "It's not about being in the right place at the right time. It's about being in the right place all the time".

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

Time will tell. It's his second game and the defensive partnership was quite different to last week. From playing with Lamie to having him/Lamie/Mugabi. 

We either need to play with 3 centre backs and forget about wingbacks or play a back 4.  Today we tried a mx of both, which just didn't work. 

Either way we need a form of stability. But like you said the jury is out. 

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Surprised that so many people say that we were poor today, I quite enjoyed it! Particularly that spell at the start of the second half until we went ahead.

Once again I've got nothing but good things to say about Lamie. Defensively he is extremely solid, and a lot less punts up the park today too!

Also thought Carroll, Slattery, Watt & Justin were very good. And Grimmy, what a guy!

My thoughts exactly. We played some nice football in spells, possibly lacked a real cutting edge and ideally would have tested the keeper more from the good number of corners we had, but this is still a very new team and there were some good individual performances all over the park. 2-1 at a park we have struggled on plenty of times is a great result.

Great 3 points which takes the pressure off a bit. But a real mixed bag of a performance both from the players and tactically from the manager.

Initially, I wondered what the hell he was up to with the team selection, but heard him pre match say he was forced into it thru illness and injury, so got to cut him a bit of slack there.

Thought the performance for the first 30 mins was not too bad. We looked the better team and ones most likely to score, but our defence still looks like it can conceed at any time, so it was no surprise when they did. I actually didnt see too much wrong with their first goal that was disallowed. Maybe Sportscene will clear that up! :P

We did well to get to half time without conceding further. 2nd half I felt was a bit more even, so it was ironic that we scored twice in that period before withdrawing into our shell to defend our lead for the last 15 mins.  GA will undoubtedly feel vindicated in his substitutions as we picked up the 3 points, but it is absolutely brutal to watch and we dont look any more solid with 6 defenders on the park as we do with 3 or 4.

Much to work on. Hopefully a couple more faces in, some of the ill and injured back, and maybe start trying to find a more settled team selection.

A step forward. But only a little one.

19 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Great 3 points which takes the pressure off a bit. But a real mixed bag of a performance both from the players and tactically from the manager.

Initially, I wondered what the hell he was up to with the team selection, but heard him pre match say he was forced into it thru illness and injury, so got to cut him a bit of slack there.

Thought the performance for the first 30 mins was not too bad. We looked the better team and ones most likely to score, but our defence still looks like it can conceed at any time, so it was no surprise when they did. I actually didnt see too much wrong with their first goal that was disallowed. Maybe Sportscene will clear that up! :P

We did well to get to half time without conceding further. 2nd half I felt was a bit more even, so it was ironic that we scored twice in that period before withdrawing into our shell to defend our lead for the last 15 mins.  GA will undoubtedly feel vindicated in his substitutions as we picked up the 3 points, but it is absolutely brutal to watch and we dont look any more solid with 6 defenders on the park as we do with 3 or 4.

Much to work on. Hopefully a couple more faces in, some of the ill and injured back, and maybe start trying to find a more settled team selection.

A step forward. But only a little one.

Would flooding the midfield not create a better barrier than a flat back six?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Time will tell. It's his second game and the defensive partnership was quite different to last week. From playing with Lamie to having him/Lamie/Mugabi. 

We either need to play with 3 centre backs and forget about wingbacks or play a back 4.  Today we tried a mx of both, which just didn't work. 

Either way we need a form of stability. But like you said the jury is out. 

I definitely agree that a bit of stability in formation and team selection is needed… but although I’m not writing Ojala off, I’d argue that good players will stand out, no matter who they’re playing with… and great players will make average players look good too. I’m reminiscing about Peter Hartley’s start with us… he just looked great from the off, with his quality / leadership / organisation… Ojala looks miles off that, by comparison 

• Like 1