Livingston v Motherwell 21/08/21

Toxteth O'Grady

9 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

I definitely agree that a bit of stability in formation and team selection is needed… but although I’m not writing Ojala off, I’d argue that good players will stand out, no matter who they’re playing with… and great players will make average players look good too. I’m reminiscing about Peter Hartley’s start with us… he just looked great from the off, with his quality / leadership / organisation… Ojala looks miles off that, by comparison 

I was sold on Aldred after 5 minutes and totally shocked why Bury let him go.

11 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Grimmy is like a new signing..we know hes not the silkiest of players,but i for one will never question his work rate

Might save us some money in the transfer market if he keeps this up. Plus provides cover at right back.

• Like 1

Great win today, not a great performance to match it though but what do you expect on that pitch? 

Up top I thought Amaluzor was energetic and bright. Not feart to take a man on unlike Woolery on the other side who really should have burst the net today instead of passing it back to the Livi keeper. 

I really hope we sign another midfielder with similar quality to Slattery otherwise the boy will burn out after 4 months carrying the full midfield. 

Lamie had a solid game at the back, although sadly there’s still an error in him. At the moment I think bar Kelly, he’s Alexander’s first name on the team sheet. 

Where do we start on Grimmy though? We all know he’s not blessed with great ability but the guy doesn’t half know how to put a shift in. Delighted he got the winning goal. 

After today’s win though, I think we can be happy with our start to the league campaign. I know we deserved a point at home to Hibs, but 4 points away from home against the double winners & Livi at their plastic mess isn’t to be ashamed of. Win next week and it’s a solid start before the international break. 

57 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Grimmy is like a new signing..we know hes not the silkiest of players,but i for one will never question his work rate

I've always liked Grimmy.  I'd like to see him in right midfield. he would cover the RB position when the wingback pushes up and give much better balance.

With Grimmie, Ohara, Slattery we could do with a really decent left sided midfielder and we'd be decent in midfield. 

Grimshaw scores a 1 yarder and now he's the solution?

Don't think so.

Listen, he got us the points today but he is not the required level of quality over 5, 6, 7 games never mind a season.

There are players that are better than Grimshaw at the club that aren't good enough to base our midfield around.

Any decent Motherwell team will have Grimshaw no where near it.

Sorry about the pouring of cold water but it's just a fact.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't think so.

Listen, he got us the points today but he is not the required level of quality over 5, 6, 7 games never mind a season.

There are players that are better than Grimshaw at the club that aren't good enough to base our midfield around.

Well you are all fun

What I love about Steelmen online. The most depressing place to inhabit on the planet. 

Full of fucking doom merchants. Why I spend more time on Pie and Bovril. A more balanced view. 

We may not have been great today but we beat Livi on their shite plastic pitch. 

I would say we are several weeks away from finding our strongest 11. An issue that has not affected our 1st 3 opponents in the league. But no one cares about that. 

Like Alexander or not he is right to point out we have not had a settled side for various reasons. 

I was impressed with Slattery today. A composed midfielder. Watt and Grimmy also the dogs bollox. 

We may still have a shite season. But let that happen first  before pissing your pants. 

• Like 1

People saying would  have been a meltdown if Livi scored at end after bringing on all the defenders . Trust me would have been a bigger meltdown if brought on KVV and Lawless and they scored . Would have got why did we not just shut up shop and see game out . Well we did the latter and we won so it’s a thumbs up from me as the amount of times fans  on here were screaming at losing last minute goals saying why not just shut up shop,  it’s now laughable that when we do that and win they still moan . Great 3 points abs let’s hope we get the same next week COYW 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't think so.

Maybe not the solution but the guy always give 100% and puts in a shift chasing / harassing the opposition and with a willingness to run at player with the ball  - something we’ve missed of late.
He doesn’t always have good games but a player like that is a good addition that can enthuse his teammates  so I’m happy to see him back and believe his good games outnumber his poor ones.
Even before his goal he was one of three players I was considering for motm 

12 minutes ago, wellowell said:

People saying would  have been a meltdown if Livi scored at end after bringing on all the defenders . Trust me would have been a bigger meltdown if brought on KVV and Lawless and they scored . Would have got why did we not just shut up shop and see game out . Well we did the latter and we won so it’s a thumbs up from me as the amount of times fans  on here were screaming at losing last minute goals saying why not just shut up shop,  it’s now laughable that when we do that and win they still moan . Great 3 points abs let’s hope we get the same next week COYW 

well time will tell how often over a season that tactic pays off for us. I'm delighted we won but to shut up shop against a mediocre team like Livingston especially when we actually had them on the back foot I find utterly baffling , Against the bigger and better teams I could maybe understand but going into that ultra defensive formation at the very point in the game when we had started to dominate for me is poor. The result was always going to be more important than the performance no matter how it panned out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudmfc said:

I'm not his biggest fan but he's exactly what we have been missing,a bit of drive and energy in the middle of the park is what the team requires.i hope we keep him in the midfield and let him play the box to box role,on today's evidence he deserves a run in the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Would flooding the midfield not create a better barrier than a flat back six?

My point entirely. Our defenders were heading the ball out to nobody only for it to be returned straight back. Even Robbos  infamous 5-5-0 would have been better than that last 15 mins.

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

My point entirely. Our defenders were heading the ball out to nobody only for it to be returned straight back. Even Robbos  infamous 5-5-0 would have been better than that last 15 mins.

That is as maybe .

But had Alexander and Motherwell lost today the knives would have been out.

I am all for criticising the shite on the pitch but for once can we accept that the Manager got it right. We go gung ho and we lose an equaliser in 93 minutes and everyone would be complaining we were too adventurous.

Criticise when the time is right but not today despite the NEGATiVe takes on this site.

11 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

That is as maybe .

But had Alexander and Motherwell lost today the knives would have been out.

I am all for criticising the shite on the pitch but for once can we accept that the Manager got it right. We go gung ho and we lose an equaliser in 93 minutes and everyone would be complaining we were too adventurous.

Criticise when the time is right but not today despite the NEGATiVe takes on this site.

No one said anything about going gung ho. Shutting down the game at 2-1 with 10 mins to go is a perfectly legitimate tactic and one I would expect most teams in our situation to employ.

However, there are many more ways to defend other than just lining as many defenders as we can across our box. Keeping the ball would be one of them. 

Im not criticising the performance or the result, both of which were entirely acceptable. However, I dont think its being to demanding to expect a little organisation and composure to see a game out rather than just backs to the wall stuff, which ultimately comes down to luck.

Yeah I agree with JWFC; nobody wanted us to bring forwards on and go for a third, but we were dominating when we went 2-1 up. Bringing on 2 defenders for 2 attackers nullified that and we resorted to 11 men behind the ball tactics that only brought pressure on us. He could have made changes, but maybe gone for some like-for-like fresh legs type changes instead of us having 6 defenders on the park and no intention of keeping the ball to relieve that pressure.

The fact that we refused to keep the ball and just smashed it forward to Watt was the issue for me, we could've seen the game out with the ball.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Don't think so.

I dont think anyone is claiming that Grimmy is the solution to our midfield issues. But his performance today was refreshing due to his energy, directness and battling qualities. Something we sadly lack as a team a lot of the time. I think most folk are just recognising that for what it is. 

For what its worth, I certainly think he is worthy of a place in our squad as he can amply cover a number of positions and will do so without quarrell. I wouldnt be building a midfield around him but he is certainly good enough to play the role he was asked today against most of the teams in our league.

I'd rather see us improve our game management, something we have been poor at for a while. GAs tactic of defending the box has worked the majority of times, and I guess we will need to get used to it, but I don't think it will ever fill me with confidence.

Grimshaw has always been effective at pushing us up the park, and has the work rate that will endear a player to our fans. I agree with the need for a left sided midfielder, which would give us some decent flexibility and balance.

Woolery looks like he has the pace to breeze past defenders at will, and uses his strength well, but for some reason he is really negative. Maybe he needs a goal or two, but that effort after being put through by grimshaw was poor. Amaluzor caused their defence some trouble, and it will be interesting to see how he progresses.