Jump to content

Toxteth O'Grady

Livingston v Motherwell 21/08/21

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Grimshaw scores a 1 yarder and now he's the solution?

Don't think so.

Listen, he got us the points today but he is not the required level of quality over 5, 6, 7 games never mind a season.

There are players that are better than Grimshaw at the club that aren't good enough to base our midfield around.

Any decent Motherwell team will have Grimshaw no where near it.

Sorry about the pouring of cold water but it's just a fact.

I’m not sure you know what a fact is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Alexander’s shut up shop tactic has worked far more times than it fails. I don’t enjoy watching it but it has been effective 

Has that been by luck or skill?

I remember several late saves by Kelly that could or even should have been goals. Livi were a Grimshaw block away from grabbing back a point.

Arse collapsing in the last minutes is not going to work in the long term. T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as dreadful to watch but much better running down the clock up in the corner as far away from our goals as possible. My preference would be to maintain possession of the ball by passing around but I’m not sure we have the ability to do that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, that hat said:

Me in the background for both goals, sitting quietly in the wrong part of the ground

ahh you were the guy at the front with red hoodie with a huge grin on your face

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ropy said:

Would flooding the midfield not create a better barrier than a flat back six?

With which midfielders? Looking at the bench yesterday, we had one centre midfielder who is nowhere near good enough. If Cornelius had been there, or Maguire or Donnelly then I would see your point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First and foremost, an important 3 points. Performance wise still plenty to concern us though. That said, new players are still settling in and improving fitness levels. Good to see Grimmy get his first goal. Not the most technically gifted but he adds energy and drive to the midfield. The question is where does he fit in? Our issue in midfield is the balance as we're still short of a creative type in there. 

We're still short of at least 2 players but the question is can we recruit them before the window closes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A draw between Hearts and Aberdeen and the table won’t be looking too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the highlights agaim and the Stryjek/Kelly incident in more detail. Stryjek's challenge was downright reckless. Presumably the referee decided that Amaluzor had fouled Kelly? If that was the case then it falls into the very soft category. Not convinced. He was right to stop the game, but should have awarded us an uncontested dropped ball. No guarantee that Amaluzor would have scored anyway though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just watched the highlights agaim and the Stryjek/Kelly incident in more detail. Stryjek's challenge was downright reckless. Presumably the referee decided that Amaluzor had fouled Kelly? If that was the case then it falls into the very soft category. Not convinced. He was right to stop the game, but should have awarded us an uncontested dropped ball. No guarantee that Amaluzor would have scored anyway though.

For me it was dangerous  / Serious foul play by Stryjek, if it had been on Amaluzor we would all have been screaming for a red card, so it should be no different against your own player.

Irrespective of that I think the ref halted play far too quickly, the whistle was blown before Kelly hit the plastic as it was clearly never a foul by Amaluzor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ropy said:

A draw between Hearts and Aberdeen and the table won’t be looking too bad.

Closer to the top than the bottom 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just watched the highlights agaim and the Stryjek/Kelly incident in more detail. Stryjek's challenge was downright reckless. Presumably the referee decided that Amaluzor had fouled Kelly? If that was the case then it falls into the very soft category. Not convinced. He was right to stop the game, but should have awarded us an uncontested dropped ball. No guarantee that Amaluzor would have scored anyway though.

It was very similar to the Schumacher and Battiston challenge all those years ago. Not sure if the keeper was even booked in that occasion. Fair play to Michael Stewart last night, who said he didn’t think the hand by Amaluzor had any part in it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looked like the keeper was planning to head it then changed his mind and tried to kick it but just rattled his own player with his knee. I don't think the wee push made any difference but it means by the letter of the law the ref can justify his decision.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem I have with the decision isnt that a free kick was given. Its that it appeared to be given as an after thought. The ref cleary stops play for the head knock, not a foul. Id probably still be really annoyed if we hadnt wont the game, but as we did, its easier to let is pass....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The problem I have with the decision isnt that a free kick was given. Its that it appeared to be given as an after thought. The ref cleary stops play for the head knock, not a foul. Id probably still be really annoyed if we hadnt wont the game, but as we did, its easier to let is pass....

This ^^The ref decided after the guy recovered that it was a free kick. Maybe the assistants or martingale  had a word in his ear between such times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, steelboy said:

It looked like the keeper was planning to head it then changed his mind and tried to kick it but just rattled his own player with his knee. I don't think the wee push made any difference but it means by the letter of the law the ref can justify his decision.

If the referees were to apply a free kick for every "wee push", the game would be stopped every two minutes.. No, he made an error, and Motherwell should have been given the advantage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

If the referees were to apply a free kick for every "wee push", the game would be stopped every two minutes.. No, he made an error, and Motherwell should have been given the advantage.

We should have been, but it was a bit of a no-win situation anyway. Even the correct decision of an uncontested drop ball would have handed most of the advantage back to Livi, as they would then just have packed the box with the defenders who were nowhere near the original incident. Doesn't excuse the cop-out/error, but I think that's why I'm finding it hard to be too annoyed about it. (Well, that and the fact we won, of course.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully winning the game makes that decision easier to take. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened should Amaluzor have clipped the ball goal wards first time. Still can't believe Marvin Bartley felt it was dangerous play by Tony Watt lol. 

I know it was stopped for a head knock, but these poor decisions stick in your mind, a similar incident happened at Fir Park a few years back, I think it was Ikpeazu of Hearts that recklessly dived studs up to block a Carson clearance which caught him right on the shin. Mr Madden allowed play to continue surprisingly and they scored as Carson lay stricken followed by getting carried off on a stretcher. 

Anyway delighted for Grimshaw to get his first goal, last year we were struggling to get shots on target never mind goals so it's nice to see a blend of scorers so far. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2021 at 1:44 AM, GrahamH said:

I’m not sure you know what a fact is.

Check my record mate.

Whether it's defending Murphy and Clarkson from boo boys, being one of about three people in the support to call out Gannon from the very beginning to advocating Turnbull for the first team a year before it happened I'm usually pretty good at seeing the overall picture.  And I got a lot of criticism over every one of them. It goes with the turf when you are ahead of the curve.

Unfortunately we have supporters that I'll defend dross that sticks around while abusing good players that move on and kids that don't, or barely, get a chance.

I get it, your loyalty is admirable.  Except it isn't.  Who's your best friend?  The feckless yes man or the guy that tells you you need a kick up the back side from time to time?

Take the last player I had a real pop at, Carl McHugh. 

Probably the same people defended him and did we miss him when we finally ditched him?  Nah, we brought in Gorrin and Gallagher who were both light years ahead of the guy and we went on our best run of performances and results in about 5 or 6 years.

Now there's a fact.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2021 at 9:25 AM, Well Well said:

ahh you were the guy at the front with red hoodie with a huge grin on your face

Phil with a red hoodie.  That I would like to see.  He was wearing a HAT as his username hints.

I assume you got a freebie Phil or went with a Livi pal.  I would of celebrated anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Check my record mate.

Whether it's defending Murphy and Clarkson from boo boys, being one of about three people in the support to call out Gannon from the very beginning to advocating Turnbull for the first team a year before it happened I'm usually pretty good at seeing the overall picture.  And I got a lot of criticism over every one of them. It goes with the turf when you are ahead of the curve.

Unfortunately we have supporters that I'll defend dross that sticks around while abusing good players that move on and kids that don't, or barely, get a chance.

I get it, your loyalty is admirable.  Except it isn't.  Who's your best friend?  The feckless yes man or the guy that tells you you need a kick up the back side from time to time?

Take the last player I had a real pop at, Carl McHugh. 

Probably the same people defended him and did we miss him when we finally ditched him?  Nah, we brought in Gorrin and Gallagher who were both light years ahead of the guy and we went on our best run of performances and results in about 5 or 6 years.

Now there's a fact.

When's your trophy presentation? You can sit there acting superior to everyone all you like, telling us you're "ahead of the curve". There's still a difference between a fact and an opinion

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Check my record mate.

Whether it's defending Murphy and Clarkson from boo boys, being one of about three people in the support to call out Gannon from the very beginning to advocating Turnbull for the first team a year before it happened I'm usually pretty good at seeing the overall picture.  And I got a lot of criticism over every one of them. It goes with the turf when you are ahead of the curve.

Unfortunately we have supporters that I'll defend dross that sticks around while abusing good players that move on and kids that don't, or barely, get a chance.

I get it, your loyalty is admirable.  Except it isn't.  Who's your best friend?  The feckless yes man or the guy that tells you you need a kick up the back side from time to time?

Take the last player I had a real pop at, Carl McHugh. 

Probably the same people defended him and did we miss him when we finally ditched him?  Nah, we brought in Gorrin and Gallagher who were both light years ahead of the guy and we went on our best run of performances and results in about 5 or 6 years.

Now there's a fact.

I didn't rate Gorrin, that's a fact...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×