Motherwell v Dundee 28/08/21

SteelmaninOZ

Not a great team performance at all, with a few solid individual performances. I think Woollery needs a wee spell on the bench, he has pace to burn and has shown flashes at times but no real end product from him yet. The problem is though it means Watt back out left with KVV through the middle and Watt deserves to stay in the middle with his goals lately.

Food for thought for the gaffer during the international break, which comes at a frustrating time for us given the momentum we have, but oh well.

That was a hard watch, but the three points are most welcome. It was a tad frustrating as early on we let Charlie Adam just keep on picking out team mates unchallenged but thankfully he only lasted 27 mins before blowing out his sphincter.  They bossed possession and outwith the first half strike that struck the underside of the bar I don't feel they really threatened much tbh. A tad reminscent of us in the early part of last season when we racked up 1-0 defeats. 

Taking the red card decision out of the equation, Collum is a poor ref. It was laughable that he warned Kelly to hurry up and take a free kick in the first half when McGowan kicked the ball away and it was 0-0 at that point. I thought he had forgot his cards today as many challenges went unpunished that are usually a stick on yellow. 

On the red I would need to see it again, it looked like a robust challenge from where I was sitting but looked like he won the ball, thankfully it never cost us and we won. 

Beautiful day.

There was a genuine buzz to be back in the stadium for the first time post Covid.

We won.

But....

Dundee completely dominated the first 15 - 20 minutes but after that they ran out of steam a bit and the game became more even but you got the impression it was Dundee going backwards rather than us forcing our way into the game.

I suppose you could say we defended well enough off the ball because Dundee didn't create much after the opening spell but I thought when we were on the ball we were really bad.  So many poor touches, incomplete passes, nothing balls.  None of the new guys that started really did much to impress me and Amaluzor and Woolery were pretty much completely anonymous.  Van Veen wasn't on long but he at least had a couple of nice touches.

Tony Watt was by far our best player.  We had three good moves and Watt was involved in all of them.  Kelly did want he had to do when needed.  The rest of the team? Some big question marks but it's one game.

Red card.  Didn't scream out a sending off from where I was but I didn't have a great view.

Overall we won but the midfield looks worse in the flesh than it does online.  McGowan came on and was miles better than anyone we had.  84% pass completion versus O'Hara and Grimshaw in the low sixties.

Woolery is ok, but has poor game awareness.
Generally picks the wrong pass or shot.
On the red. From my view from the (main) stand it looked like one of those where it was a 50/50, Carroll won the ball, but the Dundee player shat it and came off worst.

Anyway. 3 pts and 4th.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

A good 3 points from a poor game, one decent chance that hit the bar was all that Dundee had to offer, they rely on Adams so much they were fecked when he went off.

A great header from Watt for the goal after that we were comfortable,  I thought  Ojala was superb, he strolled the game.

I am still concerned we are not creating a lot of chances, we can't rely on Watt every week so we need to improve on that but 3 points and a clean sheet is a good days work.

22 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

A good 3 points from a poor game, one decent chance that hit the bar was all that Dundee had to offer, they rely on Adams so much they were fecked when he went off.

A great header from Watt for the goal after that we were comfortable,  I thought  Ojala was superb, he strolled the game.

I am still concerned we are not creating a lot of chances, we can't rely on Watt every week so we need to improve on that but 3 points and a clean sheet is a good days work.

They didn't have much after Adam went off, we were just poor as apposed to them being better. 

Ojala was very impressive, so was Lamie tbf. 

Hard to watch for most of the game, think Goss, Ohara and Slattery will be a solid midfield. Amaluzor is dreadful, zero game awareness, can’t beat a man and final ball is guff.

we looked better as a team in the last twenty than we did all game.

must do better, as a decent side will tear us to bits.

30 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

McGowan came on and was miles better than anyone we had.  84% pass completion versus O'Hara and Grimshaw in the low sixties.

How many of those successful McGowan passes were sideways. There were periods in the second half when I was getting frustrated with how much of the ball Dundee were having but I did then notice how much of it was going side to side in front of our defence and midfield.  Not to say that I wouldn't like us to be better on the ball but I wouldn't be citing Dundee's sterile possession when a goal down as an example to follow...

McGowan is fucking rubbish.

Woolery doesn't know how to get himself into a game, and is way too indecisive. He has shown pace, strength and skill in flashes, but isn't getting into dangerous positions. We've got 3 years for him to figure it out. I don't think he's a winger either.

Ojala looked better, albeit still rusty, and lamie was solid again. 

Slattery imposed himself on the game more, he's going to be important for us this season.

Watt is just brilliant.

Passing - Fail

Control Possession - Fail

Score - Pass

Keep a clean sheet - Pass

Suppose we did the important stuff but boy, did we give Dundee to much space and time on the ball. Adam then McGowan looked almost Messi-esque. Sooner we get back to closing down from the from front the better. We cannot give teams that much space on the ball, especially when we seem to find them with more of our passes than our own players.

Thanks God we have Liam Kelly at one end and Tony Watt at the other.

biggest problem is we sat with a back 5 for much of the game - they only had 1 forward so their midfield was allowed to play +20-30 yards further up the park than it should.

Add to that  Justin and Woolery not being good enough, Mugabi aint a right back we got away wins against pretty poor Liv + Dundee teams.

A 4-4-2 with Watt/VV  upfront with Goss in midfield would have offered so much more today. If nothing more it will give much better possession and push teams back up the park. 

That said - delighted to get points as it will breed some confidence.