Motherwell v Dundee 28/08/21

SteelmaninOZ

26 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

At least Dundee tried to pass their way forward, although it was obvious they didn't have the skill to successfully play that way, and were largely toothless up  front.

Reminded me of Dundee under McCann a few seasons ago. Exactly that description there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Personally I don’t have a problem with the decision, reckless in my view.

It was reckless in my view. I also think the reaction of the Dundee player made Collum mind up. No issues there as you want to get the opposition player sent off. 

I pretty much guarantee you will see a dozen+ similar challenges and no doubt one or two on our players go without a red being produced ! 

8 hours ago, GazzyB said:

28866aa49a75f4bd57c1d117c63907b8.png

Also forgive my MS Paint skills but there's no chance Collum can see that.

When I saw it at the game I thought a red card was harsh, but the  Sportscene highlights  slowed it down and it was a shocker, straight leg off the ground and caught the Dundee player above the ankle, so Carroll can have no complaints. 

How much Collum saw of it in real time is debatable though,  I get the impression he had the red card out before the Dundee player hit the grass.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

When I saw it at the game I thought a red card was harsh, but the  Sportscene highlights  slowed it down and it was a shocker, straight leg off the ground and caught the Dundee player above the ankle, so Carroll can have no complaints. 

How much Collum saw of it in real time is debatable though,  I get the impression he had the red card out before the Dundee player hit the grass.

Totally agree, straight red for me, we'd be screaming for it if it was one of our guys piled to the grass.

Although unless Willie Collum has futuristic, digital Robocop type vision, there's no way he's seen that tackle land just above the ankle at that speed, through 3 players...!

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Pretty much my view Allan. If we'd had to look at replays to come to a considered view how could Willie Collum do so on the spur of the moment and through 3 players?

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Pretty much my view Allan. If we'd had to look at replays to come to a considered view how could Willie Collum do so on the spur of the moment and through 3 players?

To be fair (not that he particularly deserves it), he doesn't technically need to see it land. Assuming he could see Carroll steaming into the challenge at all, and he thought that was reckless, he's entitled to dish out a red card regardless of what ended up connecting with what. As others have said, give him a decision to make and you're always going to run the risk.

I said it elsewhere but I don't think we're ever gonna leave FP saying "we played some great fitba the day"

We are gonna be robust and hard to break down.  If we are winning with 20 mins to go I expect we will see everyone of the 8 centre halves we have on the park. 
It isnae an easy watch, I reckon we're a wee bit of flair away from Stephen Robinson type Thunderdome style. I am not sure if Alexander wants that flair though.

From what i saw it looked like two teams at very much the same level, pretty much what you expect out with the old firm, however as said before we have  a lot of players returning from injury and newly in the door so i expect us to improve think our midfield will be fine with Slattery and  Goss, need to see more from Woolery. And if Van Veen can stay fit we have a player that can hold the ball up front..

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I said it elsewhere but I don't think we're ever gonna leave FP saying "we played some great fitba the day"

We are gonna be robust and hard to break down.  If we are winning with 20 mins to go I expect we will see everyone of the 8 centre halves we have on the park. 
It isnae an easy watch, I reckon we're a wee bit of flair away from Stephen Robinson type Thunderdome style. I am not sure if Alexander wants that flair though.

I thought we played some pretty decent football against Hibs - infact I was quite shocked at how far we appear to have regressed in 3 weeks that Dundee can pretty much pass it round us on our own pitch.

3 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

I thought we played some pretty decent football against Hibs - infact I was quite shocked at how far we appear to have regressed in 3 weeks that Dundee can pretty much pass it round us on our own pitch.

GA said last year he's not worried about teams passing it around in areas where it doesn't hurt us. And Dundee certainly fell into that category.

Having said that, we were a pretty makeshift team ourselves at the weekend,so I'm not reading too much into it other than "good result".

1 hour ago, Big Stall said:

Can i just add zero points against Hibs, three points against Dundee .Where is the regression there ? 

Gave team top of the league a run for money,Drew with St Johnstone away,beat Livi away the beat Dundee at home sitting top half of table and folk still not happy?It might not be pretty to watch but its getting results and results are what its all about.

Starting think there is alot of hate for GA because he replaced Robinson who may i add left the us in such a mess i was expecting us to be in the championship right now.

GA has a 46.7 win percent with us and all i see is doom and gloom.Airdrie and Dundee cup games justified 100 percent  but top half and 2 league wins back to back sitting 5th take it everyday of the week.

6 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Starting think there is alot of hate for GA because he replaced Robinson who may i add left the us in such a mess i was expecting us to be in the championship right now.

Was never a Robinson fan but can't aim "the fitba wid make yer eyes bleed " at him without saying what GA is serving up at the moment is no better and some of GA signings have to be questioned . At the moment I'll settle for 3 points at home but GA has to get a better performance level from these players or he will come in for heavy criticism 

53 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

GA has a 46.7 win percent with us and all i see is doom and gloom.Airdrie and Dundee cup games justified 100 percent  but top half and 2 league wins back to back sitting 5th take it everyday of the week

I'm sure the majority of us will take it every day of the week for a while. But after that while, either that 5th needs to start getting higher or the quality of entertainment needs to improve, at least if they want me to keep shelling out for my MFC TV subscription.

58 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Gave team top of the league a run for money,Drew with St Johnstone away,beat Livi away the beat Dundee at home sitting top half of table and folk still not happy?It might not be pretty to watch but its getting results and results are what its all about.

GA has a 46.7 win percent with us and all i see is doom and gloom.Airdrie and Dundee cup games justified 100 percent  but top half and 2 league wins back to back sitting 5th take it everyday of the week.

Our fans demand top half of the table, playing great football, and all new players hitting the ground running. Do keep up!

I think it’s fair comment to expect a better level of play than what we have seen for the most part. I’m sure GA would probably agree with that and hopefully has a plan to get us there. Most people seemed to really enjoy the Hibs game even though we got beat. Obviously we can’t be dropping points every week but why can’t we play like that more often and pick up points? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I think it’s fair comment to expect a better level of play than what we have seen for the most part. I’m sure GA would probably agree with that and hopefully has a plan to get us there. Most people seemed to really enjoy the Hibs game even though we got beat. Obviously we can’t be dropping points every week but why can’t we play like that more often and pick up points? 

We had Van Veen up front in the Hibs game. Watt had a good game on Saturday but didn't link play and when he did manage to hold the ball up it usually ended up in a free kick to us rather than an attack. 

Hopefully we have everyone available for Aberdeen and show a bit more with the ball. I'm already looking forward to the game and the East Stand giving Gallagher and Brown a warm welcome. With Bates, Longstaff and Ramirez in they have a decent team on paper so it will be a good test for us.

16 hours ago, GazzyB said:

28866aa49a75f4bd57c1d117c63907b8.png

Also forgive my MS Paint skills but there's no chance Collum can see that.

The tackle was out of order and Carroll got exactly what he deserved. If that reckless  tackle  had been on one of our players we would have been screaming at Collum if he had not produced a red. And for all we know,  his Assistant maybe  had a clear view and immediately shouted "Red Card". I detest Collum but I find it ironic he is getting questioned for actually getting a decision correct. There are plenty of shocking decisions to focus on rather than correct ones.

I think if a red had not been issued, then it would have resulted in Carroll being cited anyway. And I have not heard of the Club lodging any appeal.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We had Van Veen up front in the Hibs game. Watt had a good game on Saturday but didn't link play and when he did manage to hold the ball up it usually ended up in a free kick to us rather than an attack.

i like Watt and he's worth his place in the team but he's not an out and out traditional centre forward. The trick will be to play him in a role thats suits him and the team.

Wollery hasn't convinced me yet, although it's early days. Once everybody is fit, I'd like to see Shields and Van Veen get a run (not necessarily together, but worth a look) with Watt sitting in behind.

If we do play more narrow up top, however, we to get the width from or full/wing backs.

• Like 1